MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2017 - #8-7 up

MKnight82

MLB Zach Brown

zach_brown_053117_615.jpg

I loved this signing when it was announced.  Brown had a fantastic season last year for the Bills after playing some mediocre football early in his career for Tennessee.  He finished the year with 149 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FFs and an INT.  He’s significantly more athletic than our starting MLBs last year, he ran a 4.50 sec 40 at the combine.  He also has 14 career sacks, which is solid for a guy who played primarily in a 4-3 defense with the Titans, and inside for the Bills.  The switch to a 3-4 seems to have really highlighted his abilities.  He’s the only 3-down MLB we have on the roster IMO.  I think he will lead the Redskins in tackles this season. 

OC Spencer Long

HfQwwlUi.jpg

Long seems to have found his spot along the line.  After starting 13 fairly mediocre games at LG for the Redskins in 2015, he put in a pretty solid performance at Center with 12 starts in 2016.  Long made Lichtensteiger expendable and seems to have solidified the center of the Oline.  I’m hoping with a full offseason at Center he takes another step forward and really begins to dominate inside.  Considering he was a 3rd round pick its good that we were able to coach him up and get a solid return from him. 

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

MLB Zach Brown

zach_brown_053117_615.jpg

I loved this signing when it was announced.  Brown had a fantastic season last year for the Bills after playing some mediocre football early in his career for Tennessee.  He finished the year with 149 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FFs and an INT.  He’s significantly more athletic than our starting MLBs last year, he ran a 4.50 sec 40 at the combine.  He also has 14 career sacks, which is solid for a guy who played primarily in a 4-3 defense with the Titans, and inside for the Bills.  The switch to a 3-4 seems to have really highlighted his abilities.  He’s the only 3-down MLB we have on the roster IMO.  I think he will lead the Redskins in tackles this season. 

I've heard inbetween the ears is his issue like with Perry Riley and that's why he's not starring yet. I don't see how you keep Brown off the field though during the regular season when he's a pro bowl talent and our other guys aren't even really starter worthy.

My hope is that Foster starts as the Mike, calls the defense and then Brown is the WILB and can just run around and make plays in the run game, as a blitzer and against the pass.

29 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

OC Spencer Long

HfQwwlUi.jpg

Long seems to have found his spot along the line.  After starting 13 fairly mediocre games at LG for the Redskins in 2015, he put in a pretty solid performance at Center with 12 starts in 2016.  Long made Lichtensteiger expendable and seems to have solidified the center of the Oline.  I’m hoping with a full offseason at Center he takes another step forward and really begins to dominate inside.  Considering he was a 3rd round pick its good that we were able to coach him up and get a solid return from him. 

Needs to get better on the line calls, and I expect he will now that he's got an entire offseason to work on the calls and the experience from last year. I heard from John Keim that there were a lot of missed calls from him last year and the miscommunication led to pressure, hits and sacks of KC.

CB Bashaud Breeland

usatsi_9557078.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1 

Breeland was tough to rank as he’s been so inconsistent in his time with the Redskins.  I had him ranked #7 last year but feel like that is too high.  When he is on he’s a quality starting CB capable of shadowing some of the better physical WRs in the league.  Then there are times where it looks like he’s not even paying attention and gets burned.   He got a lot of criticism last year but he did end up with 3 INTs, which was tied for the team league with Josh Norman.  Due to his play when he’s on, #12 seems the right spot for him IMO.  However, I think due to his inconsistent play and the fact that this is the last year of his rookie deal it will be his last with the Redskins. 

FS DJ Swearinger

DJ_Swearinger_053017_660.jpg

Here’s the newest member of our starting secondary.  I expect Swearinger to be a solid addition at safety and provide quality play at FS for us.  Some people seem concerned about his ability to play deep FS, but he did it pretty well for the Cardinals last year.    He had 66 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 INTs in 12 starts last season.  One thing to think of too, despite bouncing around the league a bit, Swearinger is only 25 years old, basically the same age as Bashaud Breeland.   The light seemed to come on for Swearinger last season and I’m hoping he continues in that positive direction. 

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

FS DJ Swearinger

DJ_Swearinger_053017_660.jpg

Here’s the newest member of our starting secondary.  I expect Swearinger to be a solid addition at safety and provide quality play at FS for us.  Some people seem concerned about his ability to play deep FS, but he did it pretty well for the Cardinals last year.    He had 66 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 INTs in 12 starts last season.  One thing to think of too, despite bouncing around the league a bit, Swearinger is only 25 years old, basically the same age as Bashaud Breeland.   The light seemed to come on for Swearinger last season and I’m hoping he continues in that positive direction. 

Another thing about Swearinger is he's a great athlete, big hitter and solid tackler. That's something we haven't had since Landry wasn't retained at S after the 2011 season. I think just the fact that he's back there and will strike fear in some WRs will help our secondary on top of that he and Cravens are solid tacklers which will help not only against the run but also in coming up and making tackles on opposing offensive players so we won't give up a lot of 3rd & longs like we did last year.

DE Jonathan Allen

5336680.jpg 

Allen was the best college football player in the country last year IMO.  He had 69 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 16 TFL, 2 pass deflections and a TD.  He also won the 2016 Chuck Bednarik and Bronco Nagurski awards.  He’s regarded as a good run defender to go along with his pass rushing abilities.  The biggest knock on him coming out of college was his height (6’3” isn’t terrible but isn’t ideal for DEs) and his shoulder injury concerns.  But the shoulder stuff is more of a long term concern, and since we plan on moving him all over the line I don’t think his height will be that big of a deal.  I expect Allen to be one of our best defenders on the field this year.

OT Morgan Moses

6_3569277.jpg

Man I was way off on my pre-draft criticisms of Moses.  He was pretty terrible in college, and I thought that would continue into the pros.  Who knew a little bit of quality coaching could change someone so much.  Moses is a really good pass blocking RT, who IMO could still stand to improve his run blocking.  But in a league where teams pass more and more his value is certainly apparent.  I also think its pretty amazing how much the entire Oline has improved from just 2-3 years ago.  The line has gone from one of the weakest position groups on the team to a strength of ours.  I think that is a testament to the coaching from Callahan and the team’s investment of high draft picks into the line. 

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

trent murphy belonged on this list over breeland. he has a great motor and have 9 sacks for us. 

Read Mknight's reasoning. The reason he put Murphy as an honorable mention is because he didn't think Murphy's production would be duplicated this season. It made sense. Even if Trent was healthy he was not likely to replicate his production from last season. 

WR Jamison Crowder

hi-res-0356ae1ca14906b5fd0a3cfd4b796d10_

Crowder improved in every statistical area his second year in the league, finishing with 67 receptions, 847 receiving yards, and 7 TDs.  He also had 27 punt returns for 328 yards, a 12.1 average, and a TD (when was the last time we had one of those???).  Crowder had turned into the dependable slot WR every successful offense needs.  With new starters at the two outside WR spots, I expect his impact to be even bigger this year.  I anticipate Crowder will be our second leading receiver this year (he was 3rd last year, even ahead of Jordan Reed). 

OG Brandon Scherff

brandon-scherff-midseason-all-pro.jpg 

Scherff is coming off his first Pro Bowl season in just his second year in the league.  If he continues to play well this year he’ll likely be a candidate again.  In fact, I think the top 7 players on this list have a good shot at the Pro Bowl this year.  Scherff has proven to be a really good pass blocking Guard, probably because he played LT in college.  That being said, like the rest of our Oline I think he still needs to work on his run blocking.  He’s the second best player on our Oline IMO. 

Archived