2018 Prospect Visits, Workouts and Interviews

KingTitan

14 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I think its important to realize that some of these evaluations go beyond the draft. the notes you take and the visits you have today don't just go by the wayside April 27th. Today's top draft picks will become tomorrows free agents and/or trade bait.

i wouldn't read too closely into every visit.

Every visit isn't an indication of them wanting to draft that player. Visits to me, point to what positions they are looking at. And like you said, it is a point of information gathering.  When that player becomes a FA, it is useful to have that information on file, Robinson had mentioned that specifically. 

I pay attention to the visits though. It is another piece to the puzzle of guessing who they will pick.

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

While all that is relevant, I disagree that they are overrated when it specifically pertains to the Titans.

Players that visited:
Jack Conklin
Austin Johnson
Sebastian Tretola
Aaron Wallace
Corey Davis
Taywan Taylor
Adoree Jackson
Jonu Smith
Brad Seaton
Corey Levin

According MusicCityMircales:

Perhaps...

But the drafting scenario this year is starkly different than it was the past two years, both in terms of needs, number of available picks, and value of said picks. 

I think now would be the time that a bit more nuance would be applicable to the scouting of players. 

17 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I think its important to realize that some of these evaluations go beyond the draft. the notes you take and the visits you have today don't just go by the wayside April 27th. Today's top draft picks will become tomorrows free agents and/or trade bait.

i wouldn't read too closely into every visit.

I dont know... Meeting with someone today to get info since we may be interested 4 or 5 years from now seems like a waste. 

Even though recent history of visits and draft picks for the Titans/JRob show a strong correlation, I can accept not every visit "means" something.

But to say we're lining up these visits to fact gather a player that may or may not be available (or, on the other end of that spectrum, may or may not be in the league) 5 years from now is like Bob Eucker's "just a bit outside" line. Its far fetched to put it nicely... ridiculous to be more accurate.

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Every visit isn't an indication of them wanting to draft that player. Visits to me, point to what positions they are looking at. And like you said, it is a point of information gathering.  When that player becomes a FA, it is useful to have that information on file, Robinson had mentioned that specifically. 

I pay attention to the visits though. It is another piece to the puzzle of guessing who they will pick.

I think that team culture is so important to JRob that I don't think he'll ever draft a guy particularly in the early rounds that we haven't spent time with. It's all information gathering, and we keep all that stuff on file for the future for sure, but the visits are still very relevant particularly for us. Some teams operate differently and try to operate through back channels to find out about a guy pre draft in an effort to not show their hand to other teams. I remember last year Trubisky said he barely spent any time at all with the Bears. He didn't even know they were interested in him until he was drafted, but JRob wants to see how a guy is going to fit in our locker room before he invests in them. 

4 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Perhaps...

But the drafting scenario this year is starkly different than it was the past two years, both in terms of needs, number of available picks, and value of said picks. 

I think now would be the time that a bit more nuance would be applicable to the scouting of players. 

I think my main thing is that if it is reported that the Titans aren't going to draft blindly. I don't think they are going to be that team that picks a player after having no contact with that player.

If there is a report of a workout or visit, then they are on the Titans radar. (No, duh right.lol)  Now we don't know the results of those workouts and visits. Guys might be eliminated based on workout or visits. Or like you stated earlier, they say "I like them but not now. I wanna see how they look after a few years in the league."

21 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I dont know... Meeting with someone today to get info since we may be interested 4 or 5 years from now seems like a waste. 

Even though recent history of visits and draft picks for the Titans/JRob show a strong correlation, I can accept not every visit "means" something.

But to say we're lining up these visits to fact gather a player that may or may not be available (or, on the other end of that spectrum, may or may not be in the league) 5 years from now is like Bob Eucker's "just a bit outside" line. Its far fetched to put it nicely... ridiculous to be more accurate.

Now while I don't think he is bringing in people just to talk and plan for 5 years from now, Robinson has said he uses those meetings in the FA process. But i think he has interest in drafting everyone he brings in for a visit.

There's a big difference between using what's there and purposely wasting a visit/workout on a player/position you have no interest in right now.

I'll say there is real interest in a high CB... Even if I dont understand that reasoning. Maybe they are looking at transitioning someone like Ryan to S, even if only in sub package situations to start... It would certainly add flexibility to the D.

I still think the focus has to be on the front 7... We just need a serious youth movement here...

50 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

There's a big difference between using what's there and purposely wasting a visit/workout on a player/position you have no interest in right now.

I'll say there is real interest in a high CB... Even if I dont understand that reasoning. Maybe they are looking at transitioning someone like Ryan to S, even if only in sub package situations to start... It would certainly add flexibility to the D.

I still think the focus has to be on the front 7... We just need a serious youth movement here...

Maybe finally see your Cyp to ILB call happen. Whether it's CB or S in the first 2 rounds something seems like it could very well happen in the secondary early.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I agree. I have no idea how they would use another top CB, unless they are pushing Sims out the door. I mean Sims isn't untouchable. So if our 4th CB is an 1st round pick, I guess there are worst things in the world. 

I have seen some talk about Josh Jackson being moved to S. Maybe they see him as a hybrid S/CB. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I agree. I have no idea how they would use another top CB, unless they are pushing Sims out the door. I mean Sims isn't untouchable. So if our 4th CB is an 1st round pick, I guess there are worst things in the world. 

I have seen some talk about Josh Jackson being moved to S. Maybe they see him as a hybrid S/CB. 

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I don't see why we'd want to push Sims out the door. The guy works hard, plays well as a spot starter, and has proven to be a steady corner for us. Is he an athlete like Adoree? No...but the guy is a good football player

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I don't see why we'd want to push Sims out the door. The guy works hard, plays well as a spot starter, and has proven to be a steady corner for us. Is he an athlete like Adoree? No...but the guy is a good football player

yeah, he’s quality depth and would probably start on some teams less fortunate at CB than we are. no reason to get rid of him

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, he’s quality depth and would probably start on some teams less fortunate at CB than we are. no reason to get rid of him

I was at that KC game where it was -4 degrees and Succop hit the winner as time expired. Sims made the play of the game with that pick in the endzone. While he was a bit down last year, I think he could still pan out to be a solid spot guy, and even move on after his rookie deal to compete for a #2 spot somewhere else. 

I would struggle to find a better 4th CB let alone 5th if we draft another 1st rounder. I'm all for Adoree as Tyreek, Jr (without the off-field stuff).

I really just don't see the need for CB early on. We have the top 3 guys(Butler/Jackson/Ryan), then we already have depth with young decent guys (Sims, Smith and even Kalan Reed).

The only thing I can come up with is the Adoree full time switch to offense, which I'm not neccessarily against but I'm also not pushing for it.

My thing with Sims is this -- when has the guy gotten beaten like a drum? Every corner gives up catches, plays and TDs. But (unless I'm mistaken), he's yet to go out there like McCain and just get completely worked by someone. For a mid-round pick who's entering his 3rd year...what more do you want?

Archived