D.J. Chark vs D.J. Moore

Shylo3716

4 hours ago, Deekster37 said:

Be careful about 40 times with WR's

In a stifling run first offense where he was really only used on offense for his last two years he had 6 receiving TD's, 4 rushing TD's and 2 punt return TD's. I'd say he's more than just a 40 time guy.

4 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Honestly pretty shocking to me that Charlie is even being discussed with Moore?  Where did people have a Bark before the combine?  Remember we already knew he was fast so don’t count it twice 

giphy.gif

I'd be interested if you merged the two into a single, good all-around receiver.

As it stands though...Chark seems like a Martavis Bryant type "run downfield and attack the ball" simple deep threat.  And Moore seems like a "get the ball in his hands and he can make some things happen" type.  Together, that'd be one heck of a skillset...basically a Julio Jones.  Apart though, neither seems like a 1st round talent to me.  Just a pair of interesting niche talents with some upside, and both seriously lacking refinement.

There's clearly upside with both.  But there's also really incomplete skillsets, and disappointing potential if they don't round out the respective portions of their game that are almost entirely missing.

Granted...they've both suffered a lot of poor quarterbacking.  But i'd like to see clearly great receivers actually taking that and running with it, rather than having to lean on that as an excuse.  This draft as a whole to me though, looks very deep in those 2/3 round WRs with assorted skillsets.  Pick your poison.  All with bits missing from their repertoire.  I could see those two going in the 1st, or not.  Along with a ton of others also floating around those fringes.

10 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

there is just something missing from his resume.

yeah it's called having a competent QB. I'd rather catch footballs filled with contagious cancer than ones off the arm of Danny Etling. I would argue no WR group suffered more than LSU's this past season. Combined with the LSU QB situation, their offense had a great running game and rarely threw the ball. Even some bad QB's can put up decent numbers in spread offenses. LSU ran the football and used flood concepts with their TE's and RB's more than anything when they decided to pass. They are the most old-school I-Formation team in CFB and it kills their WR production.

I agree that taking a dude with that kind of production in the 1st round would be risky, but it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if someone did. His upside is immense and there are clear cut reasons why his production was so low.

Even Equanimeous St. Brown, who I don't really like, has an excuse for his lack of production. Unlike ESB though, Chark fights for the football and has an extra gear that ESB--and only a few rare people--have. Chark doesn't play like a possession WR, but he's more aggressive and decisive in running his routes. He's more physical when facing press coverage and seems to uncover more often. Plus he's a nightmare on jet sweeps and bubble screens.

My NFL Comparison for DJ Chark?

-A much bigger Travis Benjamin.

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

yeah it's called having a competent QB. I'd rather catch footballs filled with contagious cancer than ones off the arm of Danny Etling. I would argue no WR group suffered more than LSU's this past season. Combined with the LSU QB situation, their offense had a great running game and rarely threw the ball. Even some bad QB's can put up decent numbers in spread offenses. LSU ran the football and used flood concepts with their TE's and RB's more than anything when they decided to pass. They are the most old-school I-Formation team in CFB and it kills their WR production.

I agree that taking a dude with that kind of production in the 1st round would be risky, but it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if someone did. His upside is immense and there are clear cut reasons why his production was so low.

Even Equanimeous St. Brown, who I don't really like, has an excuse for his lack of production. Unlike ESB though, Chark fights for the football and has an extra gear that ESB--and only a few rare people--have. Chark doesn't play like a possession WR, but he's more aggressive and decisive in running his routes. He's more physical when facing press coverage and seems to uncover more often. Plus he's a nightmare on jet sweeps and bubble screens.

My NFL Comparison for DJ Chark?

-A much bigger Travis Benjamin.

LSU has been running the ball for a long time and yet, a # of their WR's have been high draft picks. Talent is talent and at WR, talent is actually quite easy to spot. I think you make too much of the fact that LSU runs the football a lot. It can actually help a WR when defenses are keying on the run, leaving the WR in man coverage all the time. Clark is not likely to be so lucky as a pro!

10 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

LSU has been running the ball for a long time and yet, a # of their WR's have been high draft picks. Talent is talent and at WR, talent is actually quite easy to spot. I think you make too much of the fact that LSU runs the football a lot. It can actually help a WR when defenses are keying on the run, leaving the WR in man coverage all the time. Clark is not likely to be so lucky as a pro!

LSU has never had this terrible of a QB either. When Dwayne Bowe was drafted high, he got to play with JaMarcus Russell. For as bad as Russell was in the NFL, he was still a good enough college player to be the #1 pick in a loaded draft class. When Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham were there, they had Zach Mettenberger--a very talented college QB that would eventually make it to the NFL. Both Mettenberger and Russell on their worst days were significantly better than Etling on his best.

Danny Etling is atrocious. He has as much of a shot at making it in the NFL as I do. Honestly, he's the worst QB I think I watched over the course of the entire CFB season dating back to last year as well. Chark got hosed with a horrible QB for the duration of his college career and nobody really knows what he can do. If he played at Clemson or somewhere that threw the ball all over the yard, I'd be willing to bet he would be taken in the top 20. The dude made plays when the ball was delivered to him or he was able to get it on bubbles and jet sweeps. He's a big time playmaker that unfortunately didn't have someone to give him the ball so he could make those plays.

Etling can be a backup game-manager in the NFL. He didn't have the flashy arm of either JM or ZM. I don't think he was a huge problem with the offense last year, though. The pass pro OL of LSU's was crap, as the playcalling really limited what Etling could do.

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Etling can be a backup game-manager in the NFL. He didn't have the flashy arm of either JM or ZM. I don't think he was a huge problem with the offense last year, though. The pass pro OL of LSU's was crap, as the playcalling really limited what Etling could do.

?????    Really? Etling was atrocious. Point me to a game tape where he looks like an NFL prospect. 

Archived