Lions sign Ricky Jean Francois

Lionized

This is a solid depth signing.  We don't have any proven DT's other than A'Shawn Robinson.  I think Jeremiah Ledbetter was decent in his limited role as a rookie.  He played DE in college so he had a pretty big adjustment.  He needed to get stronger also.  He should have an expanded role but will still be a rotation DT.  

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

We brought in a dt that's 31 yo that has been cut by 3or4 teams and has 12 career sacks... SUPERBOWL BABY

Lol I laughed, but to be honest this dude will be cut by the start of the season so nothing to get worked up over.

6 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Your act is tiresome dude

Oh and several other posters act of LOVING EVERY SINGLE signing isn't? Relating EVERYTHING we do to the Patriots... even calling us "Patriots Midwest", with no playoff success lol. He's not wrong to say someone's got blind faith when they've not done anything exceptional yet.

Drink up bro's enjoy you're Kool-Aid. This is just a depth signing imo, I think he'll actually be gone by the end of the year based on whats still possible. I didn't even think anything of it I just had to repost again cause of everyone jumping on Rockcity for thinking differently than you slap boys.

It's not wrong of Rockcity to say dude, this guy's not that good.

2 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Oh and several other posters act of LOVING EVERY SINGLE signing isn't? Relating EVERYTHING we do to the Patriots... even calling us "Patriots Midwest", with no playoff success lol. He's not wrong to say someone's got blind faith when they've not done anything exceptional yet.

Drink up bro's enjoy you're Kool-Aid. This is just a depth signing imo, I think he'll actually be gone by the end of the year based on whats still possible. I didn't even think anything of it I just had to repost again cause of everyone jumping on Rockcity for thinking differently than you slap boys.

Cool story bro. You don't even understand what I'm talking about

2 hours ago, ManeLine said:

So they should just neglect depth?

They're bringing in Hankins for a visit so it's not like they aren't looking for starters along the DL.

Bob Quinn stated up-front that he was not looking to spend big in free agency.  Teams that are good for a lot of years are teams that build through the draft.  Mayhew left a lot of holes for Quinn to fill.  Considering how much our talent has improved in the last two drafts I think Quinn has earned some trust on how to build the Lions.

How good do people think Jarrad Davis was last season? Just interested?

Because honestly this is where the conversation becomes fan-boyish vs what it really is. Someone even told me Fells was the teams best TE last year. Then when I said they're not they pointed to his contract as proof... except Ebron was on this team produced twice as much and seen more playing time being more effective. But because Ebron is a 1st round bust who played better still than a guy on a 1 year deal who played higher than expectations, they wanna crown the other guy as actually better though on the field he didn't do anything better outside of blocking in pass protection and short yardage plays(for a terrible run blocking team.)

30 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Both of you guys are misinterpreting patience with "loving every single signing". Taking a "wait and see" approach doesn't mean that I or any other posters are drinking the Kool-Aid and accepting of everything Patricia and/or Quinn do. We just understand that Quinn was eyeing Matty P since day one, they have an extensive history together and we are seeing the beginnings of how all of that unfolds.

We haven't actually played any games in 2018 so far, so I'm not sure how bringing a lack of playoff success into the picture accounts for anything. Both guys are from the Pats and are trying to replicate the systems and processes used there which have proven to be successful. Again... Matt Patricia didn't bring Bill Bellichick with him and Matt Stafford isn't Tom Brady. So we have no idea whether this will work. We're just over a month into the Matt Patricia era.. I'm not ready to write them off just yet.

I was referring to Quinns time here so far because people are pointing to him as being already extremely successful and I'm just simply pointing out that maybe last offseason wasn't really that good. Jarrad Davis as a rookie really wasn't rated a good LB'er in the NFL. Now, he's a rookie and he can improve and I'm not writing him off or anything. Tabor didn't play at all really, but he too is young and I'm not totally writing him off yet but I've never supported the selection or him. His offseason last year really wasn't stellar, and if you coupled it with a shakey offseason this year. ( Still to be determined. ) Then you know, there's real cause for concern. You can try to do something the same as another organization and fail miserably attempting it. Look what Rod Marinelli did 15 years ago with us! Tried to turn us into tampa bay 2.0 and failed in prolific/epic fashion.

Anyways, the rest of the bottom paragraph was a really reasonable post honestly. It's not fair to write this guy off without the team taking the field and playing the games. Even if I'm unimpressed with most signings.

2 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I was referring to Quinns time here so far because people are pointing to him as being already extremely successful and I'm just simply pointing out that maybe last offseason wasn't really that good. Jarrad Davis as a rookie really wasn't rated a good LB'er in the NFL. Now, he's a rookie and he can improve and I'm not writing him off or anything. Tabor didn't play at all really, but he too is young and I'm not totally writing him off yet but I've never supported the selection or him.

Anyways, the rest of the bottom paragraph was a really reasonable post honestly.

Agreed that Davis had his ups and downs. However he didn't have the same off-field issues that Foster did. That has sprung up during the off-season already. He did improve towards the end of the season and we've added some guys that should help in that department. JRM should also take a step forward. I think that the LB corp is stronger this year than last year. Even if marginally better, it's still better and we haven't even gone into the draft yet.

Tabor feels like Eric Ebron 2.0 for me - a Lions pick that seemed to be glaringly high for the player and who else was available in that spot. We did need help in the secondary and Quinn must have seen things in Tabor that demonstrated he could be successful. Between Tabor and not taking a guy like Hunt in the 3rd when he had serious needs at RB, I am cautiously optimistic about BQ. I wasn't thrilled with the Golloday pick and he seems to be trending upward as a big time player.

51 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

How good do people think Jarrad Davis was last season? Just interested?

Because honestly this is where the conversation becomes fan-boyish vs what it really is. Someone even told me Fells was the teams best TE last year. Then when I said they're not they pointed to his contract as proof... except Ebron was on this team produced twice as much and seen more playing time being more effective. But because Ebron is a 1st round bust who played better still than a guy on a 1 year deal who played higher than expectations, they wanna crown the other guy as actually better though on the field he didn't do anything better outside of blocking in pass protection and short yardage plays(for a terrible run blocking team.)

Davis was incredibly up and down. He showed a lot of potential, but also made some pretty huge mistakes. Fairly often, too. I'm pretty optimistic about him... I think he took a ton on his plate and handled it really well. He always seemed to know when he was at fault and why... and they were all mistakes you'd expect a rookie to make when given the responsibilities Davis was. You expect to see a lot of growth out of a player like him. He's not a guy that relies purely on athleticism.

If, after another season or two, we don't see a large amount of growth out of him I'll be as disappointed with him as I was with Ebron.

To take a step back and comment on this move, I agree it's nothing much. Insurance at best, and if he has to take a lot of snaps this season something's gone wrong.

Hopefully Ledbetter or a draft pick can beat him out for a job, but it's fine to have veteran depth, I guess. You have to fill all the roles on your team in the off season.

Archived