Lions sign Ricky Jean Francois

Lionized

Holy cow!  Everyone is so angry right now.  I already commented on this signing.  Decent depth.  That about all we can expect.  As far as Ebron vs Fells goes, for the first half of the year, Fells did his job as a blocker pretty well.  Ebron couldn't catch a cold.  So, in a sense, Fells was our best TE for the first half of the year.  Jarrad Davis had some ups and downs at MLB.  That is why he was a two-down LB for a while and Teez Tabor was blitzing.  

The pick up doesn’t bother me, it’s depth. As far as Davis goes, I wonder how much the coaching staff played into his up & down year. I think you are going to see progress across the board when it comes to out younger players. Caldwell & company didn’t know how to develop talent... they couldn’t even develop a good game plan! Every year they were here was time wasted. 

As far as Ebron goes, everyone is talking about his catches & drops... blocking & non blocking. Here’s one that goes under the radar. I have the luxury of being a neighbor of a local sportscaster who said Ebron was repeatively running the wrong routes & missing blocking assignments, which made either Stafford throw the ball away or take a sack. He said a lot of Staffords frustration & finger pointing was directed towards Ebron. There was an incident with Stafford & Ebron after a game last year in the locker room. If we are going to run the ball, we need blocking & i’ll Take a TE like Wilson who is a good blocker all day long, over Ebron. 

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Not sure why everyone is getting so worked up about a signing that hasn't even happened yet. RJF would be a solid backup to A'Shawn if he were signed, how is that such a big issue?

I think an easy summary is: some posters feel that a guy like RJF is a swing and a miss (assuming he even signed at the time, which he hasn't now) because he isn't a big name. They are looking for big name signings as an indication that the team is moving in the right direction. A group of fellow posters, including myself, have taken the position that we are willing to wait and see how things shake out before coming to a conclusion. There isn't enough evidence (IMO) to make a determination on how this team will look and play in 2018.

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I think an easy summary is: some posters feel that a guy like RJF is a swing and a miss (assuming he even signed at the time, which he hasn't now) because he isn't a big name. They are looking for big name signings as an indication that the team is moving in the right direction. A group of fellow posters, including myself, have taken the position that we are willing to wait and see how things shake out before coming to a conclusion. There isn't enough evidence (IMO) to make a determination on how this team will look and play in 2018.

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's not all about the name man..

Quinn is hesitant with way to much.. I think he's afraid to make a trade..your signing dudes knowing they aren't gonna stick.. this wait an see things gonna take awhile imo

11 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

It's not all about the name man..

Quinn is hesitant with way to much.. I think he's afraid to make a trade..your signing dudes knowing they aren't gonna stick.. this wait an see things gonna take awhile imo

We are like two months into the BQ/MP era. The Patriots MO has been: trade down and acquire picks, build the roster through the draft, sign talented players to low value contracts, emphasize special teams, let guys walk when they want big money. Quinn had to begin his career building a roster for a different coach than maybe he preferred with player preferences that were likely different than Quinn.

In business, sometimes you are better off with the deals that you don't make than the ones that you do.

20 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

We are like two months into the BQ/MP era. The Patriots MO has been: trade down and acquire picks, build the roster through the draft, sign talented players to low value contracts, emphasize special teams, let guys walk when they want big money. Quinn had to begin his career building a roster for a different coach than maybe he preferred with player preferences that were likely different than Quinn.

In business, sometimes you are better off with the deals that you don't make than the ones that you do.

Go big or go home have a nut once in awhile 

Roster from different coaches that he's resigning?...

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, Rockcity2 said:

Go big or go home have a nut once in awhile 

Roster from different coaches that he's resigning?...

Patricia and Austin run two different schemes. Caldwell will have preferences for players on offense and defense likely different than MP. Quinn had to bring in players that fit what he wanted but also worked in the scheme run by the (at the time) current administration.

Maybe they should have spent big money on FA's and we'll have a fun conversation next year on how you were right. However, MP and BQ have more Super Bowl rings than the entire Lions organization does. So I'm willing to concede they might know a thing or two and give them time to see how it works. Feel free to say "I told you so" in 4 years if they're hiring a new coach and GM.

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Patricia and Austin run two different schemes. Caldwell will have preferences for players on offense and defense likely different than MP. Quinn had to bring in players that fit what he wanted but also worked in the scheme run by the (at the time) current administration.

Maybe they should have spent big money on FA's and we'll have a fun conversation next year on how you were right. However, MP and BQ have more Super Bowl rings than the entire Lions organization does. So I'm willing to concede they might know a thing or two and give them time to see how it works. Feel free to say "I told you so" in 4 years if they're hiring a new coach and GM.

I never asked for big money spent.. Mathieu? Earl Thomas if available? I'm looking at more than just this fa. 

Lucky for these two the draft fits most of theirs needs...

3 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I never asked for big money spent.. Mathieu? Earl Thomas if available? I'm looking at more than just this fa. 

Lucky for these two the draft fits most of theirs needs...

That's how they build their rosters, through the draft.

I get the frustration of other fans. We have a long history of losing and want to know that the ship is now headed in the right direction. We are looking for specific things to show us that we are in good hands. We aren't seeing those things and it is a cause for concern.

I do think that Quinn likes the roster than we do as fans, so I don't think we'll see too many more name signings between now and the draft.

Archived