Who are the top four most underrated and overrated QBs currently?

patriotsheatyan

The first guy that comes to mind is Kirk Cousins. I think he's overrated. He's a Pro Bowl QB, but he's never been particularly close to being an All-Pro or anything. I don't know how much he can do on his own. Good for him then that he'll be playing with a great receiving corps and a Pro Bowl-potential RB in Cook.

Overrated:

Eli Manning - The media are pushing this weird narrative about the Giants going in for one last run with him, but really I think that ship has sailed and he's a very poor starter now.

Jimmy Garoppolo - Complete lack of sample size

Kirk Cousins - They've spent $27m/year on an average player

Ryan Tannehill - Not a quality NFL starter

Underrated:

Alex Smith - Really really good last year, really wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins have upgraded at QB

Matt Moore - Always wonder why he never got more chances to be a starter.

Russell Wilson - I think he's elite, and probably my favourite QB for the next decade.

Blake Bortles - He's not great, but he's comfortably starting quality for me and that's a lot better than the average fan seems to think.

Overrated:

Jimmy Garoppolo - He is being paid like he has years of experience and tons of success. While I don’t mind that, the praise the Niners are getting because of Jimmy G being 7-0 in his starts are ridiculous. No way the Niners should have the 6th best Superbowl odds for the 2018 season. That’s all because of Jimmy G though which makes it insane.

Joe Flacco - From the time he signed that big contract I said the only reason he got it was because of his play in the postseason. Postseason Flacco is great. Regular Season Flacco is average at best. Yet people assume the Ravens are dangerous with Flacco at QB. And when the team struggles people blame everything around Flacco instead of Flacco himself.

Dak Prescott - The hype around him was ridiculous after his rookie season and we saw last season in his 2nd year how he was when the spotlight was squarely on him. He is overrated as an elite caliber QB people were trying to make him out to be. He is a very good managing QB when he has Zeke and the oline working at an elite level.

Kirk Cousins - The Vikings are crazy for giving him a fully guaranteed contract. Like when we think of “the first QB to make his in terms of contracts” we should think of Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson all whom are true elite QBs and not Cousins who I don’t think have ever won a game when the spotlight is shining the brightest. Expectations for him has risen a lot and it’s going to be interesting to see how he does but it wouldn’t shock me if he comes up short again. And no I don’t hate Cousins, I’m all about players getting their money, but in terms of being overrated the contract suggest Cousins is elite caliber, franchise changing and I don’t think he is. 

27 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Underrated:

Alex Smith - Really really good last year, really wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins have upgraded at QB

Smith has thrown for 4,000 yards once in his career and more than 20 td's twice in his career. In a QB driven league he's not very impressive.

Underrated:

Jared Goff - It’s funny how even though Goff had an amazing season in his 2nd year, there are people who still question him. People are saying the Rams offense will drop off because teams will figure out McVay offense and nobody takes into account that Goff will only continue to get better and as he does McVay will continue to do more with his offense which will make it harder to just figure out and stop. Remember this, Cousins didn’t fully get McVay offense at first crack. It took him the 2nd offseason to finally get it and hit it with stride. Goff had success year one. So year two I expect things to be even better despite I know th Rams aren’t going to score nearly 30ppg but the offense will be better in terms of redzone scoring more tds than fgs and Goff certainly passing for more than 3800yds and 28tds.

Russell Wilson - Nobody means more to their team than Wilson to the Seahawks. If the Seahawks made the playoffs last season, Wilson should’ve won the MVP over Brady. Like Wilson was responsible for 36 of the team 37 offensive tds and led the team in rushing.

Alex Smith - We know what type of QB he is and it’s not an exciting one but yet he goes on teams and win. Yes the postseason success isn’t great but he gets his team into the postseason. Don’t be surprise if the Redskins play and record be better in 2018 with Smith than it was in 2017 with Cousins. I don’t want to hear about the injury excuse around Cousins either in 2017 either. Smith is not going to kill the Redskins will taking bad sacks or turning that ball over a lot. The Redskins offense will be efficient with Smith.

Tyrod Taylor - The Browns finally found themselves a good immediate starting QB and a real bridge QB for whomever rookie they draft. Just like Smith, Tyrod isn’t going to wow you with his passing skills but he isn’t going to kill the team with bad turnovers. The Browns will actually have a chance to win 6+ games now with Tyrod that they couldn’t with Kizer this past season.

I would say Cousins has almost definitively become the most underrated QB in the league. His average season is on par with most second tier QBs career highs, and somehow gets railroaded by his own prior incompetent organization. 

Lots of fools are going to be talking about how much Cousins “improves” this season when he posts the same numbers in Minnesota that he did in Washington, but wins 12 games because his team doesn’t suck anymore.

I think Smith, Goff, and Taylor are the other three most underrated.

Overrated: 

Eli Manning - Very much disagree that the Giants are set up for one more run with him. If the defense suddenly becomes elite (again), the line protects him, and the skills positions guys ball out - maybe. I think he’s a below average starter at this point. He definitely had a lack of offensive talent the last few years, but he’s not close to what he was.

Cam Newton: When he’s on, he’s a top 10 guy. Even amongst the elite (as seen in 2015). He’s just hardly ever sustained that level and is often a JAG when it comes to being a passer. His legs help him a lot, but at the end of the day, I was a QB that can throw. He’s not bad or anything, just overrated in my eyes. 

Jimmy Garropolo: Kills me to say it, but the hype he’s receiving is a little overblown. I love the guy and think he (amongst others) is the future of the QB position in the NFL, but he has to prove it first. His sample size is small and that, combined with the hype, make him overrated. 

Joe Flacco - Quite a few people feel how I feel about him at this point, but I disagree with those who think he’s an above average QB at this point. Like Eli, he has had a bad offensive supporting cast the last few years, but that doesn’t give anyone an outright pass IMO. There’s still a certain level of expectations with good quarterbacks. Flacco’s below average at this point IYAM. 

Underrated: 

Blake Bortles: Now he’s still barely average - if that - but he isn’t absolute trash like some say. He’s someone you’d like to replace and improve upon, but as shown this passed year, not someone that’ll ruin your playoff hopes. Lots of people still think of him as a backup quality QB, which I don’t believe he is. 

Jared Goff - Yeah, yeah, “one year wonder” or “Sean McVay”. You still need to give the guy credit for all the improvements he made as a passer. The Rams’ coaching and offense wouldn’t have turned Brady Quinn into a top 10 QB. Do certain factors make his job easier? Yeah, but you can’t discredit him for his accomplishments. We still need to see more but he seems to have gotten the grasp of the quarterback position. 

Matthew Stafford - He’s a top 10 guy, for me. Stafford is the opposite of what Flacco or Eli have been lately: a guy that doesn’t have the best supporting cast but still displays great ability for a quarterback. To be clear, Jones and Tate are obvious upgrades over Wallace and Maclin (not clear upgrades over OBJ, though...), but he’s shared the lack of running game and pass protection issues. Additionally, I feel he’s never had a good HC. His lack of playoff success hurts his reputation, but I can’t really blame him playing in the same division as Rodgers and the Vikings (who’ve been up and down since he’s been in the league). 

Derek Carr - He didn’t play well this past year, but who did in Oakland? They had down years across the board. I don’t really think Gruden is the solution, but Carr is as talented as a passer as you’ll find. He still has to prove consistency, but he belongs higher than I’ve seen him ranked recently.

Good call on Stafford.  I actually want to see the Lions go far into the playoffs with Stafford.  1) Because of all the years of watching football I have never seen the Lions go far, and 2) I think Stafford would deserve it for staying with the Lions.  

On 3/21/2018 at 5:24 PM, stl4life07 said:

Underrated:

Jared Goff - It’s funny how even though Goff had an amazing season in his 2nd year, there are people who still question him. People are saying the Rams offense will drop off because teams will figure out McVay offense and nobody takes into account that Goff will only continue to get better and as he does McVay will continue to do more with his offense which will make it harder to just figure out and stop. Remember this, Cousins didn’t fully get McVay offense at first crack. It took him the 2nd offseason to finally get it and hit it with stride. Goff had success year one. So year two I expect things to be even better despite I know th Rams aren’t going to score nearly 30ppg but the offense will be better in terms of redzone scoring more tds than fgs and Goff certainly passing for more than 3800yds and 28tds.

First off, where are all these people who are questioning him?    Im asking this because Ive seen far more example of people claiming he is going to have a huge year than Ive seen people saying he is going to falter.   So one could just as easily argue that he is being OVERRATED based on one season.   Not that Im arguing that....just saying it COULD be argued. 

Secondly, there are alot of examples of teams/players falling off after setting high expectations the year before.   Am I saying that will happen to Goff and the Rams...no, but its not like the questions are unwarranted.   Its happened before....could happen again.

Personally, I dont think Goff is being really underrated or overrated.    There will always be haters and homers who alternately overrate and underrate certain players, but most people seem to view him as what he is....a young talented QB coming off ONE nice year, but still has to prove he can remain consistent through multiple seasons.

Alex Smith - We know what type of QB he is and it’s not an exciting one but yet he goes on teams and win when the team has a great running game and defense to support him.

FIFY.   Dont wanna leave that part out.

Tyrod Taylor - The Browns finally found themselves a good immediate starting QB and a real bridge QB for whomever rookie they draft. Just like Smith, Tyrod isn’t going to wow you with his passing skills but he isn’t going to kill the team with bad turnovers. The Browns will actually have a chance to win 6+ games now with Tyrod that they couldn’t with Kizer this past season.

Meh.

Again, I would say most view him for what he is....a middling QB who isnt terrible, but isnt going to get you over the hump.

I don't think it's fair to use some of these QB's because the majority of them are going to fall into either of these categories or both.

• 1) Has only played in a handful of games.
  • 2) Plays on a recent winning team. 

Why does this matter? Because 1) Success leads to overexposure from the media. 2) Success breeds hate/doubt among fans these days. 

Let's be real here. If Dak had the same success in 2016 but the Cowboys went 3-13 instead of 13-3 he would be at the top of everyone's underrated list. The same with Goff and Wentz. The same as if Hundley had gone 8-3 this past season instead of 3-8. 

But because those teams were successful, people are going to look for any reason that they can to hate on it and downplay their success and it always starts with the QB. 

I don't mean everyone. Some people can point out intangibles and such to justify their reasoning and that's fine, but most can't. They just love to hate because it's the 'cool' thing to do now. 

On a more serious note though:

Underrated: Mohammed(sp) Sanu. On top of his perfect 158.3 QBR, he has thrown 3 TD passes in his career on 6 attempts. Johnny Manziel(sp) has only 7 in his career on 258 attempts.

A wide recievers ability to throw an accurate pass is underrated and Sanu has been doing it for 6 years now. It's time to start giving him his proper respect. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG9VmdDxN5o

Overrated: Tom Brady. What good is a QB if you can't catch a wide-open pass by a WR who's underrated ability IS to throw an accurate pass? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzY7zEmFBgc&pbjreload=10

On 2018-03-21 at 10:13 PM, TENINCH said:

Smith has thrown for 4,000 yards once in his career and more than 20 td's twice in his career. In a QB driven league he's not very impressive.

He also has seven seasons with 7 interceptions or less. Granted, he didn't play the full schedule of games in some of those but that impacts his yardage and td numbers as well.

Also, Russell Wilson has thrown for more than 4,025 yards once in his career and more than 26 td's twice in his career. He has one season with 7 interceptions or less. 

Am I arguing that Smith > Wilson? Not really (they do share some similarities though), but I don't like it when numbers are being thrown around without context.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

First off, where are all these people who are questioning him?    Im asking this because Ive seen far more example of people claiming he is going to have a huge year than Ive seen people saying he is going to falter.   So one could just as easily argue that he is being OVERRATED based on one season.   Not that Im arguing that....just saying it COULD be argued. 

Secondly, there are alot of examples of teams/players falling off after setting high expectations the year before.   Am I saying that will happen to Goff and the Rams...no, but its not like the questions are unwarranted.   Its happened before....could happen again.

Personally, I dont think Goff is being really underrated or overrated.    There will always be haters and homers who alternately overrate and underrate certain players, but most people seem to view him as what he is....a young talented QB coming off ONE nice year, but still has to prove he can remain consistent through multiple seasons.

FIFY.   Dont wanna leave that part out.

Meh.

Again, I would say most view him for what he is....a middling QB who isnt terrible, but isnt going to get you over the hump.

I’ve heard more people from my circles still questioning Goff which is why I said that.

I said what I said about Tyrod is because if you look at how many games the Browns lost that were close because Kizer cost them with bad decisions/turnovers. Like Tyrod won’t kill the team like that. The Bills weren’t even supposed to be a playoff team last season. They were rebuilding giving away all their talent to get a lot of draft picks for the future but yet with Tyrod they found a way to make the playoffs. I understand the defense was surprisingly good and McCoy was excellent but Tyrod didn’t kill the team with poor QB play.

Overrated-

Big Ben- Get by with his size. Has a great arm and has done a lot more lately, but I have just always felt this way.
Matt Ryan- Seems like he SHOULD be one of those next guys up, but he always seems to be somewhat of a let down, numbers wise. Still a good QB.
Jimmy G- Only due to sample size. Hope he pans out though.
Carr- Same as Ryan. Still like the guy though.

Underrated-

Stafford- TBH, I wasn't that big of a fan when he had Megatron. Sure, he had all those crazy numbers then, but seemed like he relied on just throwing it up to him (why wouldn't he?). Since then he has shown a lot more, imo.
Mariota- Had a down year, but a lot of that was stubbornness of Mularkey. I like him to bounce back with new coaching/system.
A. Smith- Solid, but nothing incredibly special. Still feel he is underrated because he has shown he has the ability if given the opportunity. Doesn't turn the ball over much.
Prescott- Gets a lot of hate for some reason. He's been solid so far in his career. Still growing. Lets see how he turns out.

Let the hate begin with those. xD

Archived