Who are the top four most underrated and overrated QBs currently?

patriotsheatyan

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I'll hear you out.

I’m not saying Tannehill isn’t a starter, I’m saying he’s not a quality starter. I put him in that 20-32 range where he’s good enough to be a team’s #1 for a season but really you should always be looking to improve on him and for the Dolphins I think keeping him past his rookie contract was a mistake.

Matt Moore I actually would put in the exact same range as Tannehill, so if I think they’re the same level of guy that means that I think Moore is underrated and Tannehill is overrated. 

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think you can put Andrew Luck as the top 4 most overrated QBs, and Andrew Luck as the top 4 most underrated QBs.

I agree with this. I for 1 think he is overrated but i think eventually the pendulum swings the other way where if most everyone thinks he is overrated he eventually becomes underrated. I feel like Stafford probably is there too

Overrated:

Dak prescott - a classic game manager who strongly depends on Dallas' ability to run the ball for any success!

Matthew Stafford - strong armed QB who just does not produce enough in the clutch

Eli Manning/Ben Roethlisberger - age could be catching up with them

Phillip Rivers - Cut his own throat, when he insisted that Norv Turner continue as his HC and the owner complied

Jameis Winston - Simply has not had the breakout season people predicted for him, but he is young enough to move to the other list

Blake Bortles - injuries may have effected him the last 2 seasons, but he should be healthy this year and could also move to the other list

Underrated:

Cam Newton - if you throw out the season following his SB lose, which often takes its toll on many QB's, he could be special

Andrew Luck - if he is ever healthy again, the Colts will contend for the playoffs

Marcus Mariota - took team to the playoffs last year and still hasn't had the breakout season predicted for him

Kirk Cousins - people hate him for screwing Washington, but he now gets to play in a dome on a better overall team and QB's playing in domes, usually have a far better chance at greatness

Derek Carr - Had an injury plagued season, but the talent is there for greatness

Mitch Trubisky - many people ridiculed this pick, but he could be on his way toi stardom

On 4/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Danger said:

Overrated:

Dak Prescott
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Marcus Mariota

Underrated: 

Matthew Stafford
Russel Wilson
Matt Ryan
Philip Rivers

This pretty much.

I probably wouldn't agree only with Matt Ryan, but it's close.

He's really somewhere in the middle for me, drifting from overrated to underrated, but I personally do like him as a player.

Rivers is a stud, hopefully he make a couple good runs with the Chargers since they have the talent now.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:25 PM, EaglesPeteC said:

tumblr_mctfebN2VL1ry2irao1_500.gif

I don't know about "far better", but I'd argue Cam definitely had the better season.  Both were extremely similar statistically.  Wentz was slightly safer with the ball but Newton scored more.  Main thing for me is Cam had a much worse offense around him than Wentz had.

The point is it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that Wentz could regress next year.  He's young and coming off an injury and plays the game, like Cam, where he is susceptible to further knacking injuries.  I think he will still be great, but I could see next year being a disappointment.

5 hours ago, TheChancellor said:

This pretty much.

I probably wouldn't agree only with Matt Ryan, but it's close.

He's really somewhere in the middle for me, drifting from overrated to underrated, but I personally do like him as a player.

Rivers is a stud, hopefully he make a couple good runs with the Chargers since they have the talent now.

Rivers did have a talented team around him several years ago, but just wasn't able to take advantage of the opportunity. 

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don't know about "far better", but I'd argue Cam definitely had the better season.  Both were extremely similar statistically.  Wentz was slightly safer with the ball but Newton scored more.  Main thing for me is Cam had a much worse offense around him than Wentz had.

I don't think you can actually say Carson was "Safer" with the ball. Carson led the league in Aggressive Throw percentage (where there is a defender within 1 yard of the intended target) in 2017. He was also 4th (2nd if you discount Watson and Drew Stanton who weren't the starter for the majority of the season) in the league with the highest average intended yards through the air per pass. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2017/all

Carson had a higher TD% and lower INT% than Cam did in 2015.  If you want to say Cam Newton had less around him to work with that's fine. If you want to give bonus points to Cam for his rushing contribution that's fine. But keep in mind Carson and company were more or less letting off the gas in the 2nd half of a good part of their games because they were leading so much, and we'd see our backups in quite often. Carson still threw for almost as much as Cam in 12.5 games, many of which he was pulled from because they were blowouts. 

The biggest knocks I have against Cam are that outside of 2015, he hasn't been a good passer, average at best. And of course, his attitude, he acts like a child.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I don't think you can actually say Carson was "Safer" with the ball. Carson led the league in Aggressive Throw percentage (where there is a defender within 1 yard of the intended target) in 2017. He was also 4th (2nd if you discount Watson and Drew Stanton who weren't the starter for the majority of the season) in the league with the highest average intended yards through the air per pass. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2017/all

By safer, I meant to say he was slightly better at not turning the ball over.  Both were in the same ball park though.

If you want to give bonus points to Cam for his rushing contribution that's fine.

What do you mean?  There is literally no objective reason to not consider Newton's contributions on the ground.  Do you not consider what Tomlinson or Faulk did as a receiver or are those just bonus points too?  If Wentz was anywhere near as good as Cam is as a runner, I'm sure you'd factor it in.  

Passing attempts and rushing attempts combined, Wentz was at 504 attempts with 33 TDs (6.5 TD%).  Newton scored 45 touchdowns on 627 combined attempts (7.1 TD%).  So Cam had a better TD% actually.  Both were similar in CMP% and Newton didn't have an outside receiver nearly the caliber of Jeffrey to bail him out or an offensive coordinator capable of scheming guys open as good as Pederson is.  Both were about the same as a passer while Cam was far and away the better runner.  You can't just dismiss that.  

If you disagree that Cam was better, understandable.  Wentz was great too. But at the absolute least, they were in the same ball park despite Newton playing in a worse offense in a worse scheme.  For me, that is why I would consider his season more impressive.  We saw what the Eagles were capable of when Wentz went down.  We wouldn't have been anywhere close to 15-1 without Cam.  Either way, lets not act like someone thinking Cam is better is laughable.  There is a very good reason to believe he was.

And for all this talk about Cam not being such a good passer and Wentz being some great passer, Wentz CMP% was only a 60.5% last year.  You can say he attempts a lot of low-percentage passes, but that has literally been the case with Cam his entire career but people ignore it until it's the case with their guy.  Wentz ain't Brees or anything.  He's probably in the same realm as Newton accuracy wise.  Both can be spotty.  Even last year, with Olsen out and Funchess as his #1 (and being injured down the stretch), Newton was at 59% which is like what, 2 or so completions short of 60%?  

Overrated

Jimmy G: Hasn't done enough to deserve the hype and pay day (potential is there though)

Deshaun Watson: Same as above

Joe Flacco: has not lived up to his SB stardom since that pay day.

Ryan Tannehill: he's just not that good. I think Miami has realized this now too (his wife is smoking HOT though).

Underrated

Tyrod Taylor: one of the most accurate passers in the league.

Jared Goff: I think people think he's could be just a 1 year wonder. I think he's the real deal.

Russell Wilson: poor guy ahs never had any real WR talent around him. He has a rotating door on the OLine and at RB and still performs.

Blake Bortles: I think he can have a very "Alex Smith" type career. As he gets older I expect his turnovers to go down and TDs to go up. The team is set up to be good for awhile.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:54 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Matthew Stafford - He’s a top 10 guy, for me. Stafford is the opposite of what Flacco or Eli have been lately: a guy that doesn’t have the best supporting cast but still displays great ability for a quarterback. To be clear, Jones and Tate are obvious upgrades over Wallace and Maclin (not clear upgrades over OBJ, though...), but he’s shared the lack of running game and pass protection issues. Additionally, I feel he’s never had a good HC. His lack of playoff success hurts his reputation, but I can’t really blame him playing in the same division as Rodgers and the Vikings (who’ve been up and down since he’s been in the league). 

This isn't necessarily towards you @Yin-Yang but i'm sorry, this guy was the #1 pick and is the highest paid player in the NFL(By far) with an 0-3 playoff record, until he wins a playoff game there is no way on earth he deserves to be classified as underrated.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This isn't necessarily towards you @Yin-Yang but i'm sorry, this guy was the #1 pick and is the highest paid player in the NFL(By far) with an 0-3 playoff record, until he wins a playoff game there is no way on earth he deserves to be classified as underrated.

Haven’t you heard? Cousins makes more! 

But yeah, I agree that looking at his resume in that context paints a bad picture. My post was more about his play on the field today, which I believe has progressed quite a way since his early career and particularly post-Megatron. 

Id like to see him have more success despite of his supporting cast/coaching staff, but he won’t be the first good quarterback to not win a ring (if he never does). It’s not his fault he’s stuck in a division dominated by a guy that’ll go down as one of the GOATs.

I’m not saying Stafford is elite or belongs in top discussions, just that he gets underrated when I see certain players ranked above him. 

Archived