Dislike button

tima

I was just wondering, because to me it doesn't make any sense to have a Like button but not a Dislike button. A discussion isn't just people agreeing with each other. You are pretty much forced to reply to the post if you disagree with it, instead you could just Dislike the post and move on fi you don't want to get into a back and forth..

3 hours ago, tima said:

I was just wondering, because to me it doesn't make any sense to have a Like button but not a Dislike button. A discussion isn't just people agreeing with each other. You are pretty much forced to reply to the post if you disagree with it, instead you could just Dislike the post and move on fi you don't want to get into a back and forth..

Actually, it makes plenty of sense.

If you agree with something, the like button saves people from having to just say "agree" or "+1" to pad their stat count.

However, if you disagree, IN MOST CASES, you should elaborate on why you disagree.      It promotes more discussion on here.   

Bottom line....there is no need for a dislike button.        If you disagree with something.....you can either just disagree without saying anything or explain why you disagree.....kinda like I'm doing right now.   :D

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Actually, it makes plenty of sense.

If you agree with something, the like button saves people from having to just say "agree" or "+1" to pad their stat count.

However, if you disagree, IN MOST CASES, you should elaborate on why you disagree.      It promotes more discussion on here.   

Bottom line....there is no need for a dislike button.        If you disagree with something.....you can either just disagree without saying anything or explain why you disagree.....kinda like I'm doing right now.   :D

25 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Visit any sports related forum in reddit and you'll immediately notice why there's zero need for a dislike button. People vote based on team flairs for the most part.

The forums would be really boring if we had fewer dissenting opinions.   Disagreement is how we learn from each other - when it's constructively applied.    And that's the problem with a dislike button.   As @titansNvolsR#1 already pointed out and what I was alluding to - it would be used more often between fans of rival teams.  You only need to go to the Kyle Fuller thread to see a 3-way dislikefest between Bears, Vikes & Packer fans.   Dislike buttons also would do nothing to actually generate actual dialogue.    It also allows someone to dislike a post - but not engage in any meaningful way.  So it doesn't allow the community to learn from the disagreement.

A like button actually helps reduce the "me too" posts.  Those don't actually promote dialogue.   A dislike button just gets used as a weapon, or worse, to stifle dialogue.  Which runs counter to the point of a Forum.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The forums would be really boring if we had fewer dissenting opinions.   Disagreement is how we learn from each other - when it's constructively applied.    And that's the problem with a dislike button.   As @titansNvolsR#1 already pointed out and what I was alluding to - it would be used more often between fans of rival teams.  You only need to go to the Kyle Fuller thread to see a 3-way dislikefest between Bears, Vikes & Packer fans.   Dislike buttons also would do nothing to actually generate actual dialogue.    

A like button actually helps reduce the "me too" posts.  Those don't actually promote dialogue.   A dislike button just gets used as a weapon, or worse, to stifle dialogue.  Which runs counter to the point of a Forum.

Agreed, and I was actually going to mention that in my post as well.

People would abuse or at the very least, misuse, the dislike/downvote/thumbs down.   For me, even if there was a dislike button, I would never dislike a post simply because I disagreed with it.    The only time Id give out a dislike is if someone said something incredibly stupid and illogical, or were blatantly trolling.     I dont like the idea of people disliking a post simply because they dont agree with it, because the post could be very well thought out and make sense.....but just isnt a popular opinion.   Id rather see people's responses than just see people spamming the dislike button. 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Agreed, and I was actually going to mention that in my post as well.

People would abuse or at the very least, misuse, the dislike/downvote/thumbs down.   For me, even if there was a dislike button, I would never dislike a post simply because I disagreed with it.    The only time Id give out a dislike is if someone said something incredibly stupid and illogical, or were blatantly trolling.     I dont like the idea of people disliking a post simply because they dont agree with it, because the post could be very well thought out and make sense.....but just isnt a popular opinion.   Id rather see people's responses than just see people spamming the dislike button. 

Yeah, that's the thing - it should be used for something people find distasteful, insulting, etc (and no I don't mean we should police each other all the time).   It shouldn't be used as a way to shout the other side down in a disagreement.  The merits of the argument should stand up on their own.   Dislikes just end up being used as a way to label people - "you've got X dislikes, therefore you should be discredited" takes that pop up on other boards, unless it's an absolute troll, well, it just encourages people to avoid posting dissenting opinions.  And on a forum with such strong team affiliations?  No thanks.

Archived