Lions sign free agent DT Sylvester Williams:

flyguy1609

19 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Hmph. Would've preferred Hankins and they're not signing both. But Williams is much cheaper, probably

I mean, I do agree with you, but I'm just not as confident it's a definite no on Hankins, he's from the area, and he agreed to the meeting knowing the Williams decision was coming today regardless. I'm just not sure about money, cause Hankins will want a lot, he was a good D linemen still last year. I think an average cap hit of 7-10 million a year is likely for him, but teams can be crafty how they structure contracts and allocate money, and the Williams deal is just one year from what I've seen so... idk leaves room long-term if you like Hankins long-term.

Yeah idk, I'm dreaming.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

If the Lions have signed Sylvester Williams, I think they are committed to getting their next DT through the draft.  That makes sense because this draft has a bunch or really good DT.  If they don't take one in round one, I am hoping Harrison Phillips is still available or we take BJ Jones.

I am looking at his previous contracts. Outside of his Titans deal he wasn't overly expensive. If we could get him for a 1 year $3-$4M deal, we would still have room to add a guy like Hankins if we wanted to. This draft is quite deep at DT and RB so it's possible they are looking to fill those spots with rookies.

5 hours ago, ManeLine said:

Meh. I hope he's not starting for us. 

If they sign Hankins, that would give them a good deal of versatility on the line. Still lack pass rushing, but the run defense would be improved. 

I don't even think he'd be starting if we rolled with what we currently have. I think Ledbetter would currently be starting next to Robinson, but that's a guess based on the potential i saw. On that note, a guy like Williams could theoretically be a valuable tutor for our young and inexperienced DT corps. Especially if we draft another.

Archived