2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

Made some changes to the original list, now includes 7 rounds and compensatory selections indicated with a *, so 256 players.  Still a few are a long shot to be drafted no doubt but wanted to just fill it in and is the best off what I had from last years prospect.  Also a few more thoughts on some players, many of who I included into this 7 round group and or moved them in their placement, some are also not eligible for the draft and are underclassmen.

*Raekwon Davis JR DT Alabama:  I like the kid obviously, liked him a lot last year but wow he can really play.  Moved him up ahead of those Clemson DTs in the rankings because his upside is just out of this world.  Huge kid, long and can stuff the run as well as rush the passer from the inside, could play DT and be a beast or DE in a 3/4.  I expect him to be even better this year even without Payne at the other DT spot, Raekwon made great progress last year and should do so again this season I feel.  

*Diontae Johnson JR WR Toledo: Liked him last year, is a big time playmaker and potentially quite special in the return game as well.  Very good speed and is a tough WR despite not being that big, is not afraid of contact, can break tackles and really make defenders miss in the open field.  Could potentially be a early entry guy if he has a great year, is one of the better junior receivers in the nation, no question about that.

*Markus Bailey JR ILB Purdue:  Damn that kid can play, very active linebacker who can play inside and rush the edge as well.  Good in space and is a really sound tackler, will see how he does this year with that defense losing a lot of talent up front to protect those linebackers.  Nice looking player though who could be a great 3/4 ILB and maybe even a early entry guy if he has a great year.  Solid at the point of attack and able to cover backs in space, nice looking player no question and need to watch him more.

*Will Grier SR QB West Virginia: Still has a ways to go in terms of his fundamentals but the kid can simply make plays.  Can move in the pocket well and make big throws down field, does make mistakes at times but also makes huge plays.  Decent mobility and great ability to create on the move.  Throws nice touch passes and fade balls, if he becomes a little more consistent with his pocket fundamentals could become a higher draft pick.  Not sure he is a 1st rounder but potential mid rounder, will see how he does this season overall.  

*Dalton Risner SR OT Kansas State: Moved him up in my rankings, could potentially be a super star guard as well and honestly has more of a guard build.  Still the kid is a great player, really solid and can play multiple positions, started off at center earlier in his career.  Good athlete and only thing is he does seem to be a little squatty with short arms but again as a guard that might not be as big of an issue.  Is part of a solid run game because he is usually who they go behind, fine talent and I feel has 1st round potential and one of the best offensive lineman in the country next year.  

*Jalen Hurd RS SR WR/RB Baylor: Really interested to see how he does this year as a WR, potentially a mid round prospect but with a good legit year as a receiver could easily rise up the draft board big time.  Star RB on Tennessee obviously and honestly I bet some teams might want him back at RB.  Will see what he looks like at WR though, and like he says potentially it might mean a longer career but that is only if you are an elite WR.  Braxton Miller made that late switch to WR from QB obviously that last year in college, but even he is not ripping up the NFL and he made that switch because he would not be in the NFL as a QB, not sure Hurd can say the same thing because he would have been in the NFL as a RB if he would have stayed on Tennessee and declared for the draft as a RB.  Will be interesting what happens no doubt about that.  

*Tee Higgins SOPH WR Clemson: Tons of potential with his height and athletic ability, should have a breakout season this year no question with the WRs that are gone and now he can step in and become a bigger part of the offense.  Will see how he does, could have Mike Williams type numbers in that offense even though he is more thin that Williams was.

*Jackson Anthrop SOPH WR Purdue: Nice potential slot WR and makes big plays and has some great hands as well.  Really flashed at times as a freshman and should be even better this up coming season.  Tough kid and sneaky fast at times as well, see how he does this year but with hands like that if he can continue to progress he is a NFL receiver potentially down the road.  

*Nate Herbig JR OG Stanford: Kid is a beast, moves very well for a man his size and is a nasty player, sadly football is not really going in that direction and his pass pro skills could come in question.  Will see how he does this year, in terms of pure power and elite ability to move defenders he is one of the best out there, he gets guys down and lays them out.  Is not a total loss in pass pro either, could be a top rated guard in this years draft, will see.  Is a huge part of that run game success and is arguably the best OL in that group in a great overall Stanford OL. 

*Jalen Dalton SR DT UNC: Interesting talent and one to watch for sure this season, noticed him last year, love his length and size at DT.  Good looking athlete, needs to get stronger and a little more powerful but is active and can get after the QB, get his hands up and deflects passes as well.  Will see what he looks like this year, could be an interesting late round talent if he has got stronger over the off season.

*Larry Allen JR SR OG Harvard: I have not seen him much but one almost has to pay attention to him this year.  Did take last year off of football which was weird, back again this season.  Does have skinny legs it seems but moves well for a guard and has some power to him and good feet.  Will see how he does this season, would love for him to succeed and get a chance in the league just because of his family and being the son of simply one of the most powerful guards ever to play.  

*Brandon Fanaika RS SR OG Stanford: Nice pulling guard who can be nasty when he arrives, has a little bit of an odd build but is a physical player who moves well.  Is part of a very solid Stanford offensive line and he is one of the keys in their run game, will see how he does this year, could easily be a mid to late round prospect in the draft.  

*Jesse Burkett RS SR C Stanford: Is potentially a late round prospect, shields defenders off well, can move around and pull.  Is not super strong at the point of attack but is good enough.  Is part of a super talent Stanford OL which should be even better this year, nice looking prospect to pay attention to as a center.  

*Jordon Scott SOPH NT Oregon: Still have to see a lot more of him but love his build as a potential NT.  Needs to work on some things and be able to stay on the field more, but really thick kid with some good athletic ability to him.  One to watch for sure this year and could develop into a nice NT prospect down the road.

*Cody Thompson SR WR Toledo: Not an amazing WR but is a solid player who has a good catch radius and can make some plays.  Good enough route runner with some ability to get separation, does help playing with so many other talented pass catchers but could maybe be a late round draft pick with a fine season as a senior.  

*AT Hall RS SR OT Stanford:  Could be a late round prospect with his ability to pull as a tackle and be a versatile guy out there.  Nice mobility no question and is a active player who gets after it, not sure about his overall upside but will see how he does this year and if he can keep his backup Hamilton off the field who is super talented tackle as well.   

*Abdul Beecham SR OR Kansas State:  Is an interesting prospect potentially at guard, moves well and has good power.  Gets under defenders and can drive them and is solid at the point of attack.  Will see how he does this up coming season, could maybe play himself into being a late round pick, will see.

*DJ Wonnum JR DE South Carolina: Still need to watch him more but the kid can get pressure on the QB, is more of a build of a OLB in a 3/4 but will be interesting to watch him this up coming season.  Good edge rusher with athletic ability, will see how he grows as a player this year.

*Alex Barnes JR RB Kansas State: Interesting player and I need to see more of him.  He might just benefit from a fine run game at Kansas State and a good offensive line with multiple tight ends who block well.   Good size and decent enough athletic ability, can get the hard yards and break a big run if it opens up, physically well put together.  

As for the start of the College Football season....

tenor.gif?itemid=5526111

13 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Can I get your thoughts on JR Reed & how you view this safety class in general please?

JR Reed I commented on in this thread, I really like what he showed in the spring game, good hitter and has some toughness obviously with being the son of Jake Reed, a really physical a tough WR in the NFL for years.  JR Reed could be a mid round prospect, flashed last year and will see if he can take it to another level this season.

The safety group is ok, there is not one out there like Jamal Adams, Fitzpatrick or Derwin James though.  Johnson on Miami has the most upside I feel with his coverage and ability to tackle but does need to get stronger and a little thicker to take hits long term.  I really like Wingard on Wyoming, he is a very promising player and one to watch out for.  Thompson on Alabama should have a breakout year and has 1st round potential I think.  Hansen on Utah I really like also but sadly is being moved to linebacker, wish he would have stayed back at safety, thought his combo of size and ability to come down in the box was impressive and did make plays on the football in space, will see how he does this year but physically he is a big kid and a big hitter.

VanDarius Cowan SOPH ILB for Alabama has been dismissed from the team for violation of team rules I assume stemming from a third degree assault at a Tuscaloosa bar where he hit a guy.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24047697/alabama-lb-vandarius-cowan-dismissed-team

Too bad, kid flashed well in the spring game and could have become a solid linebacker potentially.  It is a surprise with Saban's thoughts on second chances.

This is a great speech he did awhile back, starts at the 2 minute mark and he really makes some good points.  I guess with Cowan there is just some things one cannot tolerate regardless of giving second chances or not.  

Torn ACL for Alabama linebacker Terrell Lewis.  Was already injured last season and now again, really bad especially so soon after Cowan is no longer on the team.  Sure Christopher Allen might take his spot but he is not the same type of athlete.  Now they really need Jennings and Miller to stay healthy all year and they did not even do that last season so will see.  More time for Jamey Mosley though as well.  They will need to see a lot from Dylan Moses or Ben Davis young players who really have not shown much on the field yet, and also do not really play OLB.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24057726/alabama-crimson-tide-lb-terrell-lewis-suffers-torn-acl

Lucky for Bama Davis is a hell of a pass rusher on the DL and Buggs is not bad either, might not need as much pressure for the 3/4 OLB spot but will see.  Sadly almost no way they go all season without Jennings or Miller being injured at some point in time.  

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I can feel it....down in my plums. They have a nice blueish hue....

Getting ready to take'em to the Farmers market.  Special two plums for one.   

• Like 1

2018 Penn State Spring Ball Standouts:

*Jesse Luketa FR LB Penn State: Damn that kid can play, Parsons gets a lot of hype but Luketa I was really impressed with.  Good physical size, good quickness and can find the football, closes really well especially in space for a kid his size. Could be a beast linebacker for Penn State and potential starter even this season as a true freshman.  Really nice looking prospect.

*Micah Parsons FR LB Penn State: Another fine looking linebacker, still has to work on some things in terms of reaction time but is a nice looking athlete who can run very well.  Teammate with Luketa Penn State will have two potential stud linebackers for at least the next three years.  Big time looking athlete, will see how he does this year and how much time he gets on the field could do some impressive things.  

*Jonathan Sutherland RS FR S Penn State:  Another Canadian talent like Luketa, nice looking safety prospect with good athletic ability and range.  Could become a nice player for them, seems to be a good athlete who covers a lot out ground back there.  Put down some good impressive hits as well, could maybe crack the lineup this year and will for sure in the future as a safety.

*Zech McPhearson RS SOPH CB Penn State: Nice look lean corner, good athletic ability and made a few nice reactions to the football in the air.  Will be hard to become a starter but might happen for him this year if Reid does not come back as good as he once was, promising looking player.  If he plays with the kind of ball skills and reaction time he did in this game during the season, kid could easily become a starter.

*Chasz Wright RS SR OG Penn State: Hopefully he can finally put together a respectable season finally and become a starter in every game instead of just being in and out of the lineup.  Not sure he has it in him though, might just not have the temperament, will see.  Kid is so thick and large, just needs to be more nasty and aggressive when playing and greatly improve his pass pro sets.

*Mark Allen RS SR RB Penn State: Nice little back, can do a variety of things, quick return man potentially.  Will see if he can get some time this year and make some plays.  Super long shot but did some nice things in that game.  

More Spring Game thoughts....

*Kadarius Toney SOPH WR Florida: Liked him a lot last year, he is so quick when he gets the ball and can really make players miss.  Used him as a wild cat QB at times and do not see any reason why that would not continue.  Versatile playmaker and easily their best play making WR on the team I feel, see if they can get him the ball more consistently in space this year.

*Trevor Lawrence FR QB Clemson: Might as well consider Bryant on the bench at QB, would be shocked if he holds onto that job long with his lack in passing ability.  Lawrence has a gun and is a big tall kid who can run a little as well.  Way more arm talent there and they will need that this year so teams are not ganging up on the run game.  

*Jawaan Taylor JR OT Florida: I have liked him for awhile, completely crushed some players in that spring game.  Huge kid who can move people that is no question.  Is improving in pass protection and is a good athlete I think for his size, if he keeps playing well could easily be a 2nd round pick as a underclassman.  Has arguably as much athletic potential and upside as any OT in the nation, will see how he does this year.  

*Shawn Davis SOPH S Florida: Still has a long ways to go but I feel flashed a lot out there, was a real head hunter and big hitter.  Good looking athlete able to get offensive players down, will see if he can crack the lineup this season and keeps up that tough physical play.

*Tee Higgins SOPH WR Clemson: Mentioned him already, had a huge spring game and made a ton of plays.  Kid could be a star no question with his size and athletic ability with the ball in his hands.  Should have a real breakout year this season.

*Feleipe Franks RS SOPH QB Florida: Could be greatly helped by Mullen being the coach.  Should do very well in that system and be allowed to use his size and athletic ability a little more.  

In regards to the Minnesota Gophers spring game, wish I could comment on the potential of some of their prospects but they are all so up in the air.  And still waiting for the one PJ Fleck recruits to show up, because honestly last year none of "his guys" played or were big parts of the team.  Will see how they do this year and if someone can emerge.  First off PJ Fleck in his first two recruiting classes, in both one of his highest ranked recruits transferred.  Kendarian Handy-Holly left and oddly enough Victor Viramontes transferred and he was in this years recruiting class and the season has not even started.  They have had 6 players transfer last year notably Rashad Still and Croft as well, Croft was after he was falsely accused of damaging a door, which is odd.  Sure had the transfers after the legal issues as well, never did get his thoughts on the $45 million dollar lawsuit that has three current players included in it.  Then Tyler Moore transferred to Ok State who sadly had to retire for health reasons from football, but had NFL potential as a center and left because his loyalty to the other staff.  So still waiting on these recruits of his to do something, maybe the big boys will on the OL Dunlap and Faalele are two supposedly highly rated guys.

In terms of player progression Steven Richardson last year digressed as a prospect and went undrafted after showing flashes of big time ability earlier in his career. Blake Cashman who was awesome at the end of 2016 did not make nearly as many plays this past season either.  Winfield was injured so hard to tell how he progressed.  Tyler Johnson did well but not sure that was the system rather he was the only one on the team who could make plays in the passing game.  No Gopher players were drafted in 2018 when in a four year span of 2014-2017 they had 9 which is rare for Minnesota.  They were making progress and decent prospects for awhile there with Kill and company, now back to usual I guess till some of these guys develop and show up.

Will see how Zack Annexstad or Tanner Morgan can do at QB.  Both looked ok in the spring game and showed some ability to make throws down field in rhythm.  Morgan is supposedly the guy but I lean toward Annexstad a little but it is very early, he has a nice quick release and can move around.   Supposedly helped them recruit Dunlap and Faalele both his IMG Academy teammates, so really without them their class would be ranked a lot different, so PJ should thank Annexstad for that.  So will see how they do, PJ Fleck is a great man and moral leader but college football is not a moral summer camp.  Being a good man is great, but being a freaking task master is a little more important especially as a head coach in college football.  Not sure PJ has the X and O chops to get it done, is rah rah but when things go bad he does not have much to fall back on and has oddly bad body language for a super positive guy when they are losing.  Is he a motivating coach, who knows, based on last year no because what the last two games they lost combined 70-0.  Was not much fight in that team at all.  Will see how they do and how that QB situation plays out.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:13 PM, Ozzy said:
*Diontae Johnson JR WR Toledo: Liked him last year, is a big time playmaker and potentially quite special in the return game as well.  Very good speed and is a tough WR despite not being that big, is not afraid of contact, can break tackles and really make defenders miss in the open field.  Could potentially be a early entry guy if he has a great year, is one of the better junior receivers in the nation, no question about that.

Dude is a legitimate stud. He's got great vertical speed and a great catch radius on deep balls. Hard to imagine a world where he's not an effective playmaker in the NFL.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think Damien Harris is the best back in this class right now.

Damien Harris had some really strong games early last year but as the season went his production did dip.  Strong between the tackles runner but lacks top end speed and versatility as a pass catcher, is tough but to me is a mid round draft pick and this year Najee Harris will compete for the top back on that team and is a far more elite prospect, and Brian Robinson Jr should get some carries as well.  Harris as a leader is impressive and how he plays special teams just his NFL potential I feel is not that high.

Bryce Love has world class speed, can make plays out of the backfield and is surprisingly tough and a good leader, to me he is the clear #1 back for next years draft.  Then Benny Snell who arguably does more for his team with much less talent around him than Damien Harris, Snell is a beast and a super physical runner, just can he stay healthy.  Damien Harris is similar to LJ Scott, a very solid stable back who can carry a tough load but is limited in some areas but has potential in pass pro and doing the dirty work as a RB but does not have top end athletic ability.  Will be curious how both players finish off their senior years.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Dude is a legitimate stud. He's got great vertical speed and a great catch radius on deep balls. Hard to imagine a world where he's not an effective playmaker in the NFL.

The talent is certainly there but he had some major drop issues at times last year, but the kid is absolutely electric. He stood out to me so much watching Woodside last year. With Johnson and Thompson, whoever takes over for Woodside is going to have one of the best duos in the country at WR.