2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Damien Harris had some really strong games early last year but as the season went his production did dip.  Strong between the tackles runner but lacks top end speed and versatility as a pass catcher, is tough but to me is a mid round draft pick and this year Najee Harris will compete for the top back on that team and is a far more elite prospect, and Brian Robinson Jr should get some carries as well.  Harris as a leader is impressive and how he plays special teams just his NFL potential I feel is not that high.

Bryce Love has world class speed, can make plays out of the backfield and is surprisingly tough and a good leader, to me he is the clear #1 back for next years draft.  Then Benny Snell who arguably does more for his team with much less talent around him than Damien Harris, Snell is a beast and a super physical runner, just can he stay healthy.  Damien Harris is similar to LJ Scott, a very solid stable back who can carry a tough load but is limited in some areas but has potential in pass pro and doing the dirty work as a RB but does not have top end athletic ability.  Will be curious how both players finish off their senior years.

I searched through your originally posts for who you had listed at RB and didn't see David Montgomery or Rodney Anderson. I know Montgomery has scared some due to only 4.44 YPC in the Big 12, but he was an absolute wrecking ball at times. I love Rodney Anderson though and think the kid is silky smooth for a 6'1, 220 lbs. RB. Another big year could land him in the 1st.

Edited by Da_Ducktator
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I searched through your originally posts for who you had listed at RB and didn't see David Montgomery or Rodney Anderson. I know Montgomery has scared some due to only 4.44 YPC in the Big 12, but he was an absolute wrecking ball at times. I love Rodney Anderson though and think the kid is silky smooth for a 6'1, 220 lbs. RB. Another big year could land him in the 1st.

David Montgomery I like a lot as well, good compact back who can hurt you inbetween the tackles or in the passing game.  Really broke out last year, sure he could maybe come out early but I do not view him as a guy who would come out early for the draft so I did not include him, will see what happens.  Rodney Anderson some really like, I still need to see how he does with the attention all on him this year.  Is a fine athlete with more size than say Love, Anderson is very impressive catching the ball out of the backfield also.  Last year though I think he benefited from everyone focusing on Mayfield and his abilities and most teams did not concern their attention to that OU run game and he ran wild with it.  If Anderson does well this year sure he could be a guy who might come out early for the draft and become a factor as a RB, I just need to see him prove it a little more honestly.  It is like teams just did not care if he got yards last year because it was all about slowing down Mayfield, will be curious how good Anderson plays this year without him.

Honestly though is Anderson better than say Joe Mixon, I would say no he is not.  Could even say Perine was better as a prospect especially earlier in his career, will see how he does this up coming year.  

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

The talent is certainly there but he had some major drop issues at times last year, but the kid is absolutely electric. He stood out to me so much watching Woodside last year. With Johnson and Thompson, whoever takes over for Woodside is going to have one of the best duos in the country at WR.

I hope they pound the rock with Shakif Seymour. Coached him in HS. He's a legitimate NFL talent and will end up as one of the nation's most productive RB's this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

The talent is certainly there but he had some major drop issues at times last year, but the kid is absolutely electric. He stood out to me so much watching Woodside last year. With Johnson and Thompson, whoever takes over for Woodside is going to have one of the best duos in the country at WR.

I agree Diontae is an extremely dangerous offensive weapon, especially with the ball in his hands, he should have an outstanding year and has special return ability as well.  And combined with Thompson they make a good combo, but Jon'Vea Johnson is also a pretty solid receiver as well.  Could argue they have the best trio of WRs in the nation potentially, they should really air it out next year with that group but not sure how good the incoming QB is.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

David Montgomery I like a lot as well, good compact back who can hurt you inbetween the tackles or in the passing game.  Really broke out last year, sure he could maybe come out early but I do not view him as a guy who would come out early for the draft so I did not include him, will see what happens.  Rodney Anderson some really like, I still need to see how he does with the attention all on him this year.  Is a fine athlete with more size than say Love, Anderson is very impressive catching the ball out of the backfield also.  Last year though I think he benefited from everyone focusing on Mayfield and his abilities and most teams did not concern their attention to that OU run game and he ran wild with it.  If Anderson does well this year sure he could be a guy who might come out early for the draft and become a factor as a RB, I just need to see him prove it a little more honestly.  It is like teams just did not care if he got yards last year because it was all about slowing down Mayfield, will be curious how good Anderson plays this year without him.

Honestly though is Anderson better than say Joe Mixon, I would say no he is not.  Could even say Perine was better as a prospect especially earlier in his career, will see how he does this up coming year.  

If Montgomery has the year that's expected, I expect him to jump. Some have him listed as a 1st rounder. He has no help on his line. He takes a lot of shots. A third year of the beatings he takes running behind that line will shorten his career imo

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyejam said:

If Montgomery has the year that's expected, I expect him to jump. Some have him listed as a 1st rounder. He has no help on his line. He takes a lot of shots. A third year of the beatings he takes running behind that line will shorten his career imo

Yeah will see how he does.  Could arguably say that about any good underclassmen RB, hey come out early because you take a beating in college and might get hurt in the future.  Look at this past year, a lot of underclassmen backs came out and they were not even drafted, Josh Adams, Kamryn Pettway, Ryan Nall, Chris Warren went on as UDFA and Bo Scarbrough came really close to not being drafted as well.  

I do not think these guys for example will hurt their long term career because they came back for their senior season of college football.  And the top top four could have easily came out for the draft this past year.   

Bryce Love Stanford
Myles Gaskin Washington
Damien Harris Alabama
LJ Scott Michigan State
Jordan Scarlett Florida
Patrick Laird Cal RS
Karan Higdon Michigan
Ty Johnson Maryland
Terence Williams Houston

Montogmery is a good back though, will be interesting to see how he does.  Just not sure he is this super elite talent, Iowa State did have a great year last year though, will see if they can keep that going.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree. I have no reason to praise a Cyclone. Dude rarely got past the LOS before the defense was in his grill. In the open field he is one of the hardest backs to bring down in cfb. Awesome mix of agility, power, vision, instincts, and toughness. He gets the tough yards and continues to work. Keep an eye on him. He'd be a 1700 yard back if he had any blocking help

Been looking for anything you got on Derrick Brown of AUB. Thought to be a potential 1st rounder by some. Couldn’t find anything in this thread, which could be because of my eyes. And with all the work you’ve done, you deserve to miss a couple. TIA.

30 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Been looking for anything you got on Derrick Brown of AUB. Thought to be a potential 1st rounder by some. Couldn’t find anything in this thread, which could be because of my eyes. And with all the work you’ve done, you deserve to miss a couple. TIA.

Good call, Derrick Brown is a very talented potential NT but honestly I want to see more out of him and maybe he will take that next step this up coming year.  Sure as a projection he could be a great player but I again need to see more of him and from him.  To me no way is he better than say Dexter Lawrence as a NT, Lawrence is bigger and more athletic I feel.  He also has done it at a high level from day one, Brown was not amazing as a freshman like Lawrence was I feel especially in big games.  That is a great DL on Auburn potentially with Davidson and Coe who I expect to really breakout this year, same with Big Kat Bryant as well, Brown provides a good solid base inside who can splash at times with his power but needs to be more consistent I feel in big games.  

There are four or five DTs regardless of being a NT or not I feel are better as prospects than Brown, and with such a deep DL group not sure coming out early would be the best choice unless he has a out of this world season.  Guys like Lorenzo Neal, Trysten Hill and Jordon Scott flashed at times as potential NT types but all have to be more consistent and take their play to another level, but all are underclassmen just like Brown so they have time.  

I am really interesting to see how Olive Sagapolu does on Wisconsin, especially since both their starting DEs are out for the season.  Will see if he can show some of that athletic ability and make some more plays.  And Elu Aydon very interesting to watch him, guy has tree trunk legs and is flat out massive, but can he make plays, will see.  Guys like Terrance Cody flashed at times back in the day but was not consistent and that obviously carried over to the NFL.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Hopefully this is a deep Free Safety and Left Tackle class. 

At this point I would say no it is not a deep FR or LT class.  That could change sure.  Could argue two potential stars at each position but not great depth really in terms of elite level prospects.

• Like 1

Good starting point. I am working on a report for several teams on a vastly underrated TE at Louisville that teams are likening to Jeremy Shockey - Micky Crum. DO NOT look at his current stats. The kid is one of those Bo Jackson-like training program nuts. He was in the doghouse by Petrino, but he let him out to play this spring and he popped for 8 big receptions in the spring game. Just 23 receptions in 28 games so far, but after his frosh troubles, Petrino utilized him as a blocking machine - last year - 76 knockdowns, 20 downfield blocks. He put the bench up at 510 lbs this spring at 6:05.2-254. He could be that position's Cinderella story. While not eligible for the draft, Louisville's new soph QB Juwon Pass checks in at 6:05.1-233 & ran a 4.38 in spring camp. No, nobody knocks off the Clemson powerhouse in the ACC, but the Cardinals might be ready to make big noise - if their OL can only learn how to protect the QB.

One other sleeper-Parris Campbell gets the ink, but Ohio State's Johnny Dixon might surpass him on the draft boards, as he finally gets the starting flanker job this year. In breaking down Big Ten film this summer, there is a right tackle at Indiana with Jake Conklin-like ability - Brandon Knight. Another OT that seems to be on the cusp is that 354-pound LOT at Minney-Donnell Greene & check out that RB Rodney Smith - kid has that Freeman McNeal uncanny low pad lateral skills. Wisconsin has a load of talent, but this could be the year that the unleash LB Ryan Connelley & their sleeper TE Zander Neuville will get lots of microscope like scouting this year.

Another Sam Beal like CB is emerging from the junior ranks, but at another Michigan - Central. He's slight of frame, but Sean Bunting might have excellent ball theft ability 

1 hour ago, Scout's Honor said:

Good starting point. I am working on a report for several teams on a vastly underrated TE at Louisville that teams are likening to Jeremy Shockey - Micky Crum. DO NOT look at his current stats. The kid is one of those Bo Jackson-like training program nuts. He was in the doghouse by Petrino, but he let him out to play this spring and he popped for 8 big receptions in the spring game. Just 23 receptions in 28 games so far, but after his frosh troubles, Petrino utilized him as a blocking machine - last year - 76 knockdowns, 20 downfield blocks. He put the bench up at 510 lbs this spring at 6:05.2-254. He could be that position's Cinderella story. While not eligible for the draft, Louisville's new soph QB Juwon Pass checks in at 6:05.1-233 & ran a 4.38 in spring camp. No, nobody knocks off the Clemson powerhouse in the ACC, but the Cardinals might be ready to make big noise - if their OL can only learn how to protect the QB.

One other sleeper-Parris Campbell gets the ink, but Ohio State's Johnny Dixon might surpass him on the draft boards, as he finally gets the starting flanker job this year. In breaking down Big Ten film this summer, there is a right tackle at Indiana with Jake Conklin-like ability - Brandon Knight. Another OT that seems to be on the cusp is that 354-pound LOT at Minney-Donnell Greene & check out that RB Rodney Smith - kid has that Freeman McNeal uncanny low pad lateral skills. Wisconsin has a load of talent, but this could be the year that the unleash LB Ryan Connelley & their sleeper TE Zander Neuville will get lots of microscope like scouting this year.

Another Sam Beal like CB is emerging from the junior ranks, but at another Michigan - Central. He's slight of frame, but Sean Bunting might have excellent ball theft ability 

Micky Crum?  Where you get this information he had 76 knockdown blocks and 20 downfield blocks?  He never stood out to me and as far as being this Bo Jackson type workout warrior, wow I do not see that at all.  Will see how he does, Cole Hikutini was a great pass catching TE and had awesome size as well on Louisville a few years back, and he was not even drafted.  And you think Louisville will knock off Clemson in the ACC without Lamar Jackson?  Oh come on, my guess is Alabama destroys them week one.  No way this Pass kid is a Lamar Jackson clone, no way he is that same type of talent, and that offensive line has some players but did struggle last year at times, will see if they can improve.  The WR core is super deep but the RB position is not really strong and that defense seems to be getting worse and worse every year.  Offense sure has some players but not many big time players defensively I do not feel.  No way they take Clemson over as the top dog in the ACC, no way.  Florida State, Miami or NC State have a better chance in doing that, not Louisville but still doubt anyone does that to Clemson this year with that DL.

Sam Beal actually entered the supplemental draft and now on the Giants, did that because his eligibility for next year was in question because of academics.   Is a promising corner with good length but still is a project.  

Brandon Knight on Indiana you feel has Jake Conklin ability, Conklin is a top 10 pick and a All Pro in the NFL.  You think that Knight guy would be that good?  I will have to check him out this year and see, would be shocking if he was Conklin good but will see.  Donnell Greene is a nice looking athlete at tackle for sure, big kid and moves good enough but needs to take his game to the next level I feel, right now is a late round draft prospect if not only a UDFA guy.  Will see how he does as well as those highly ranked freshman OLs from IMG they got coming in.  Rodney Smith is a good solid back but again late round draft pick, Shannon Brooks has more toughness at times but has a real hard time staying healthy.  Smith could have a big year but will see, in a way I feel Smith was worse last year than the year before, especially in terms of getting to the end zone so he digressed a little bit.  

As for Wisconsin I think Connelly played great last year so not sure how they would unleash him.  Him and Edwards are arguably the best ILB combo in the nation, and not sure Connelly is this beast pass rusher type but will see.  Is better between the tackles than on the edge I feel.  And Neuville I like a lot as well, but is basically another OT out there and blocking TEs in the NFL today are less and less common because most only care if you can be a pass catcher as well as a blocker.  And if it is between a pass catching TE and a blocking one, often the pass catcher gets the nod.  Neuville has shown little in that regard, see if that can change with Fumagalli out of there.  

As for Paris Campbell I agree he could really breakout this season no question at all.  Dixon is good but I think KJ Hill is more explosive especially as a return man is dangerous with the ball in his hands, and Victor is a damn talented player as is McLaurin.  That is five very solid receivers, pretty sure no team in the nation can match up with that in terms of pure numbers, now let us see who breakouts and standouts in that group.  Last year they were all good but no one really stood apart for the rest, still an amazing collection of talent.  As for Sean Bunting, I have no really watched much of him, might have to check him out.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Dixon is good but I think KJ Hill is more explosive especially as a return man is dangerous with the ball in his hands

As a Buckeye fan I have to stop you right there. KJ Hill may be the slowest receiver we have next to Victor and maybe C.J Saunders. I think Dixon many be the most explosive next to Campbell

On 7/21/2018 at 2:56 PM, Ozzy said:

Good call, Derrick Brown is a very talented potential NT but honestly I want to see more out of him and maybe he will take that next step this up coming year.  Sure as a projection he could be a great player but I again need to see more of him and from him.  To me no way is he better than say Dexter Lawrence as a NT, Lawrence is bigger and more athletic I feel.  He also has done it at a high level from day one, Brown was not amazing as a freshman like Lawrence was I feel especially in big games.  That is a great DL on Auburn potentially with Davidson and Coe who I expect to really breakout this year, same with Big Kat Bryant as well, Brown provides a good solid base inside who can splash at times with his power but needs to be more consistent I feel in big games.  

There are four or five DTs regardless of being a NT or not I feel are better as prospects than Brown, and with such a deep DL group not sure coming out early would be the best choice unless he has a out of this world season.  Guys like Lorenzo Neal, Trysten Hill and Jordon Scott flashed at times as potential NT types but all have to be more consistent and take their play to another level, but all are underclassmen just like Brown so they have time.  

I am really interesting to see how Olive Sagapolu does on Wisconsin, especially since both their starting DEs are out for the season.  Will see if he can show some of that athletic ability and make some more plays.  And Elu Aydon very interesting to watch him, guy has tree trunk legs and is flat out massive, but can he make plays, will see.  Guys like Terrance Cody flashed at times back in the day but was not consistent and that obviously carried over to the NFL.

I gotta agree with most of that on Brown. Just a tough year to be a JR and DT. 

Agree on Coe. A starting front four of Coe, Brown, Russell and Davidson will be awful fought to run on. Bryant and TJ Moultry(remember this name) as pass rushers off the edge. I think both Coe and Davidson can play inside in passing situations. 

Thanks again for the effort.