2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

How good is Noah Fant? Better prospect than Goedert?

Last year his production as a SOPH was crazy impressive, was a TD machine at times and made a ton of plays with his length and speed at that position.  Goedert is maybe a better all around TE in terms of blocking but as a pass catcher Fant might be better.  If Fant builds on and improves off his fine play last year I think he could become a better prospect because of his length and speed as a pass catcher deep down field.  Will see if he can stay that productive though now that everyone will be gunning for him.  Was left alone especially earl last season on bootleg actions, where now that is rarely going to happen.  Some thought Goedert was a 1st rounder, I never thought that, always thought he was more a 2nd round guy.  Fant not totally sold on him as a 1st rounder either unless he really shows up this season even better, did show a ton of potential last year as a SOPH but again will see how he does will the attention all on him now.

3 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Apologies if you answered these already, but thoughts on Ricky Walker & Innis Gaines?

Innis Gaines I think flashed well against Stanford in that bowl game, made some good strong tackles considering he is not a huge athlete, thin but strong.  Could play maybe some safety/slot corner potentially.  Will see how he develops this year, has some ability in coverage and as a tackler I feel.

Grant Newsome is retiring, so you can remove him from your list. It's a shame because he made a ton of progress in his rehab, but ultimately the risk was too great to continue trying to return to the field. He's staying on with Michigan as a student coach. 

3 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Grant Newsome is retiring, so you can remove him from your list. It's a shame because he made a ton of progress in his rehab, but ultimately the risk was too great to continue trying to return to the field. He's staying on with Michigan as a student coach. 

Thanks for letting me know, that is too bad I thought he had potential and decent athletic ability for his size a few years back before the injury.  I was off on that Michigan OL, thought they would really breakout last year and they did not.  Still have have a ton of depth but no one really has taken it to the next level.  Ruiz I like at center, with Newsome done Greg Robinson might get a chance at OT, Bredeson at times is a solid guard then Onwenu has great size and power, along with Spanellis.  Then Bushell-Beatty as the only proven tackle which could be an issue and see if Runyan can do anything also at tackle or guard.  Also be curious who the next OT up will be or the opposite starter at that position.  

Overall that team cannot disappoint again this year.  They have too much talent especially on defense to just be another so so team again and not compete or at least get to the conference title game.  Especially with Patterson at QB and or Peters or even McCaffrey.  One of those guys has to hit and will be successful.  Oh and why the world Jeff George Jr went to Michigan I have no freaking idea!  Must just like the academics because no way in hell he sees the field, could have easily went somewhere and at least played.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks for letting me know, that is too bad I thought he had potential and decent athletic ability for his size a few years back before the injury.  I was off on that Michigan OL, thought they would really breakout last year and they did not.  Still have have a ton of depth but no one really has taken it to the next level.  Ruiz I like at center, with Newsome done Greg Robinson might get a chance at OT, Bredeson at times is a solid guard then Onwenu has great size and power, along with Spanellis.  Then Bushell-Beatty as the only proven tackle which could be an issue and see if Runyan can do anything also at tackle or guard.  Also be curious who the next OT up will be or the opposite starter at that position.  

Overall that team cannot disappoint again this year.  They have too much talent especially on defense to just be another so so team again and not compete or at least get to the conference title game.  Especially with Patterson at QB and or Peters or even McCaffrey.  One of those guys has to hit and will be successful.  Oh and why the world Jeff George Jr went to Michigan I have no freaking idea!  Must just like the academics because no way in hell he sees the field, could have easily went somewhere and at least played.  

Line depth chart looks something like this, most likely:

LT: Jon Runyan Jr., James Hudson/Juwann Bushell-Beatty, Jalen Mayfield (probably go with JBB or Hudson before Mayfield if they really needed to do so, but he's supposedly been impressing)

LG: Ben Bredeson, Stephen Spanellis, Chuck Filiaga

C: Cesar Ruiz, Stephen Spanellis

RG: Mike Onwenu, Stephen Spanellis

RT: James Hudson/Juwann Bushell-Beatty (Hudson with a slight lead currently), Jalen Mayfield

Andrew Stueber probably also in the mix at RT as a backup (and right guard). Greg Robinson isn't on the radar.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:32 AM, Jeezla said:

How good is Noah Fant? Better prospect than Goedert?

He's 6'5 240 lbs with speed and huge mitts. Has the ability to get behind secondaries and is a matchup nightmare. Per camp reports they are lining him up at slot so they can do 3 TE sets. Iowa has a lot of talent at the position. He'll go as far as he wants to. Most physically gifted TE at Iowa since Tony Moeaki. Best TE since Dallas Clark and that's saying something since Iowa puts their TE in the league consistently. I don't think opponents can game plan Fant because the other TE Iowa has TJ Hockenson is really good as well. Expect big things

28 minutes ago, Hawkeyejam said:

He's 6'5 240 lbs with speed and huge mitts. Has the ability to get behind secondaries and is a matchup nightmare. Per camp reports they are lining him up at slot so they can do 3 TE sets. Iowa has a lot of talent at the position. He'll go as far as he wants to. Most physically gifted TE at Iowa since Tony Moeaki. Best TE since Dallas Clark and that's saying something since Iowa puts their TE in the league consistently. I don't think opponents can game plan Fant because the other TE Iowa has TJ Hockenson is really good as well. Expect big things

I agree physically he is probably the best Iowa has had since Dallas Clark even though he does not have Clark's speed I do not think.  Is not quite as big as guys like Fiedorowicz and Chandler either but does have big hands and a good catch radius.  Will see how he does, has a high ceiling for sure and I agree Iowa is very deep and TE and Hockenson is a damn good player also potentially.

Dallas Clark
CJ Fiedorowicz
Scott Chandler
George Kittle
Tony Moeaki

Still in terms of Iowa TEs, since around the 2000 they do not have a ton of long term successful guys, the only one is Dallas Clark.  The rest flashed a little but could not keep it up long term. because of injuries or whatever.  Sure Moeaki was good for a little, I was never a huge fan of his in college but then his production has really dropped and I expect Kittle's production to drop this up coming year as well compared to what he did as a unknown rookie.  Fant has great upside and will be very interesting to see how he has develop and improved this year, again I think teams did not pay attention to him early last year and left him open.  That will not be happening anymore and he will have to beat coverage actually a lot more often.

38 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Myles Bryant is incredible despite his frame. I don’t know where his projection is after the 1st round, but he’s going to be a steal wherever he goes.

I agree, I probably underrate him and really would be a slight surprise if he comes out early for the draft.  Right now I have him as a 6th rounder which is probably way to low for him and most likely he would come back for his senior year.   But I do need to watch him more, I like him in coverage just not sure how high his ceiling would be potentially.

College Football is officially a go!

Andy Isabella has already caught a 60 yard TD pass.  Sure it is only against Duquesne but still the kid has big time speed and playmaking ability.  Also saw this picture on the UMASS Instagram page, freaking hilarious!

Week 1:

*Youhanna Ghaifan RS JR DT Wyoming:
His athletic ability just jumps out at you when he plays.  Super elite athlete as a inside DT, wonderful upside as a prospect and with a solid year I think he could easily be a 1st round pick even this season with a great year.  His upside is really high, plays with good energy and hustle and is so hard to handle on the inside, would be curious how he works out athletically because I believe he could blow some people away at the combine.  Awesome talent and part of a really awesome defensive unit.  

*Carl Granderson SR DE Wyoming:
He played great football in that game.  Was very hard for them to handle on the edge, got pressure easily and consistently.  Good size for a DE and very good quickness who has a variety of moves he does use to get pressure.  Would not be surprised if he keeps this play up he will be a 2nd round draft pick this year if he keeps up this level of play.

*Marlon Bridges JR S Jacksonville St:
I liked him last year and he is a very interesting safety prospect because of his athletic ability and range as a safety.  Can play deep and come down and attack in the box blitzing as well.  Strong when he arrives on the ball, wish he was a little more productive as a tackler but it is still the first game.  Nice looking player and could maybe come out early this year but could really become a well rounded talent if he stays for his senior year.  Good range no doubt and ability to cover and protect a lot of space.  

*Jacquez Payton SOPH CB Jacksonville St:
Very impressive play by  him I thought, super competitive and was attacked and tested a lot but stood up well.  Good reaction to the ball in the air, nice looking athlete with good quickness and pressed well as a corner making it very hard for whatever WR he was guarding.  Nice young prospect for sure and one to watch as the season goes on.  Has some length to him and could be another in a recent line of solid long athletic corners for Jacksonville St. 

*Antonio Hull SR CB Wyoming:
The guy is a solid CB who is very strong out there and handles himself quite well especially when things get physical.  Love how he is aggressive and can tackle, is a strong force out there with his tackling ability no question.  Still have to see more from him in coverage but as just a pure tackling defensive back he could easily get a spot in the NFL.  Is a rock out there, should have a great year potentially.  

*Andrew Wingard SR S Wyoming:
Was not able to show up in this game because most of the opportunities to make plays were just not there.  Still his coverage ability in the slot and toughness as a tackler make him extremely interesting as a safety without question.  Was not able to show that tackling in this game but exciting to see him play and perform as the year goes on.

*Darryl Johnson Jr. JR DE NC A&T:
Basically won the game for them with a pressure he got late in the game.  Also got a solid pressure right before the end of the first half as well.  Productive rush end with good long length.  Still a little thin but is a really interesting talent as a rush end for sure and one to watch for this season.  A lot of guys on that DL give good consistent effort but Johnson has the size and length to back it up with that good effort as well.

*Randy Robinson SR DT Jack St:
Need to watch him play more no question but big guy who is hard to move and showed enough in the pass rush to make a difference.  Also believe he blocked a kick as well, active DT for sure and maybe could have a late shot at being drafted or maybe getting on as a UDFA.  Strong thick kid who plays with good leverage.

*Antoine Wilder JR OLB NC A&T:
Again I need to see more of him but he showed up, could be a great special teams guy but is very undersized as a linebacker no question.  But plays hard and hits hard, is an aggressive player who is around the football that is for sure.  Will see how he develops as the year goes on, is a transfer out of South Carolina as well.

*Marcus Epps RS SR S Wyoming:
Like his teammate Wingard there was not much for him to do out there.  Most of it was all taken care of ahead of him, still is a nice looking safety who could play special teams and is a solid tackler when need be.  Good in coverage as well who can react to the football and play a good deep middle of the field.  Could easily be a late round prospect in this years draft with a solid year.  

*Austin Fort SR TE Wyoming:
It is a shame he got injured but kid showed some ability to stretch the field and make plays in the passing game from the TE spot.  Nice looking athlete and could easily get separation out there.  Apparently quit the team but now came back, might be a good choice because with a great year he could be drafted and worse case could still get picked up possible as a UDFA.  

*Tyler Vander Waal RS FR QB Wyoming:
Very good first showing for him, made good accurate throws consistently in the game and did not look like a player who has not started a major game in college before.  Has great size for the position as well, really promising young player who has a good four years do develop and improve.  Promising talent for sure, especially in that pro style system with such a good head coach.  

*Terrill Hanks SR OLB NM St:
I have to watch him a lot more, is not the biggest linebacker out there but plays hard with good consistent effort.  Provided some good pass rush off the edge at times as well, made some very solid aggressive tackles also.  Need to see him more though but could be a late round prospect possibly if he shows he can be a proven tackler regardless of who is around him.

*Logan Wilson RS JR ILB Wyoming:
Again, did not do much in the game because there was so many people flying around making plays.  Is a very active linebacker though who is a good smooth athlete that arrives to the ball quickly.  Really sound ILB prospect I think who has a lot of upside.  Will be fun to watch him this year especially with such a solid DL ahead of him keeping him clean to make plays.  

*DeShawnte Lloyd SR DT NM St: 
Showed up a lot in the pile and giving good consistent effort even though he was out on the field a lot.  Could get some penetration at times but is not as explosive or athletic as most would like.  Still gave good effort and was able to turn and move things and disrupt, will see how he does as the year goes on for a tough defense in the middle that gives good effort.  But they struggle getting off the field with a lack in pass rush and solid DB play overall.

*Josh Pearson JR WR Jack St:
Made some nice catches in that game I thought, tall kid with good open field speed.  Was not consistent at times and did have some drops but is a nice looking target at WR who can make some plays with the ball in his hands.  Will see how he does this season with an improving QB in Cooper.  See if he can be a consistent weapon game in and game out.

Others who impressed:

Nico Evans SR RB Wyoming 
Sidney Malauulu RS SR DT Wyoming 
Kevin Prosser SR DE Wyoming
Austin Conway RS JR WR Wyoming
Patrick Arnold RS FR C Wyoming
Trey Woods SOPH DE Wyoming 

Disappointed:

BJ Autry RS SR OG Jack St - Good player I still like him, and maybe it was just because they overall were not productive running the ball and have no real solid RB to do so.  But still I expected more power and force out of him, should be able to move people a lot easier but he did not.  Is a big kid but is a little bit out of shape it looked like at times.  Still as a late round prospect he is a potential guy no doubt, will have to get more conditioned and productive in terms of using that physical size he has.  

Jamari Hester JR WR Jack St - I really thought he was a talented player last year with that amazing length and height.  Was disappointed in his play this game, was greatly out played by his teammates in terms of production without question at WR.  The few times he got the ball thrown his way he did not make the play.  Hopefully he will turn it around with those big physical tools as the season goes on.

Denzil Ware SR DE Jack St. - Not a bad game by him but I would think he should have been far more productive at this level of competition than he was, especially coming from the SEC where he was productive at getting to the QB at times.  Made one bad late hit that cost his team early in the game, and did make some good moves and pass rushes but overall was not all that impactful.  Will see how the rest of the season goes for him.

Note:

With that Wyoming defense, damn they are talented.  I cannot remember a team not in the Power 5 that was this talented on defense.  Maybe the 2008 Utah team but I would say this Wyoming team is better at all three levels, and maybe the 2010 Boise State team but again at all three levels this Wyoming team could be better and top to bottom defensively probably is.  Sure it was New Mexico State, who is improved and had a fine year last season for them but still, will see how they do coming up against Washington State and Missouri the next two weeks.  Oddly enough they might do quite well against them, super interested to see how they do against Lock and Missouri.  But wow for a 1st game they really dominated completely and that pass rush is crazy good and the secondary is about as solid as you can get.  Not to mention they have arguably 8 maybe 9 NFL prospects on defense.  For this up coming year alone they could have three guys drafted in the first two rounds I think potentially if everything goes well for those prospects.  Really talented looking defense that is super rare for where they play, will see how they do as the season goes on, but for the 1st game wow they were impressive!   

Also maybe the 1997 Southern Miss football team who had Adalius Thomas, Patrick Surtain and TJ Slaughter among others.  But really Thomas only became a star when in the NFL, still was a great college pass rusher, was not a high draft pick though and neither was any of the other players on that defense outside of Surtain who was a great corner.  Again top to bottom with that DL talent, combined with the fine safety talent and solid LB play, Wyoming is legit across the board.  

rudy-drinking-game-4.gif

12 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Better CB prospect: Levonta Taylor or Mark Gilbert?

I like Taylor and think he has a lot of potential,  just has to reach it this year and show what he can do consistently.  But I do need to see Gilbert a lot more this season that is for sure.  There are other corners in the nation, I believe this is the 3rd time you asked me a question about Levonta Taylor, not sure if he is your cousin or friend or what.   Good player but there are others out there just as talented as he is no offense.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I like Taylor and think he has a lot of potential,  just has to reach it this year and show what he can do consistently.  But I do need to see Gilbert a lot more this season that is for sure.  There are other corners in the nation, I believe this is the 3rd time you asked me a question about Levonta Taylor, not sure if he is your cousin or friend or what.   Good player but there are others out there just as talented as he is no offense.  

2nd time, & you still really didn’t answer the question, lol.

35 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

2nd time, & you still really didn’t answer the question, lol.

Taylor.  He has better short space quickness and acceleration, more of an upside I feel as of right now.  

I don't really get it but Manny Bowen is still at Penn State, going to finished his degree which is I believe to be in "Media Studies" but is not longer on the football team.  

https://twitter.com/mannybowen43?lang=en

I just assumed he transferred out to another program.  I guess he is going to graduate yet not play football, was kicked off the team last year, missed the last four games.  Maybe worked his way back to the football team but something else occurred I assume where he is no longer on the team again but maybe he never was fully back.  Will see if he goes out for the draft or is just done with football all together.  I thought he was a talented linebacker for sure and would be a NFL prospect.  Maybe he just really likes this school and his classmates and wants to stay and finish then go on to a graduate program next year, who knows.  Or maybe he is done with football, but that would be a surprise.

Anyway this year with linebackers like Brown, Luteka, Farmer and Parsons they will be fine, would of had arguably the best LB group in the nation if Bowen was included into that group if Luteka and Parsons reach their potential early this season. 

Archived