2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Not a fan of RBs who have blazing speed

Bryce Love doesn't have blazing speed. I think this is a common misconception. I'd put money on him being a 4.5 40 time guy. Plus while he is agile, this isn't a Darren Sproles level athlete in terms of explosion and lateral quickness.

And he's under 200 pounds. I know he runs hard, but he isn't going to break many tackles when NFL LBs and DL clog holes. He had some massive nonsensical holes to run through at Stanford. I do not see his game translating to the NFL. How many RB's like Bryce Love exist out there? I honestly can't think of one.

He does have great vision though. And he will attempt to pass block, although a sub 200 pound guy pass blocking is going to be a joke 99.9% of the time.

I don't think Bryce Love does anything much different than Akrum Wadley does other than play behind a much better OL and blocking scheme.

1 hour ago, winitall said:

Wait what?  I am honestly not sure if you watched a single Michigan football game from last season if you believe Michigan’s defense was anything short of elite. They allowed the fewest passing yards in the country last season. Opposing quarterbacks went:

141-296 (47.6%), 1712 yards, 5.8 YPA, allowed 9 TD, had 9 INT. 

That is extremely good. Arguably the best in the country. The only real weak spot in coverage was Josh Mettalus at times against athletic tight ends or slots. 

To end the year like this is not exactly great D, sure offense had something to do with it as well but that ridiculous loss to SC in the bowl game, there was nothing elite about that defensive effort.  Especially when you were up 19-3.  

Loss to Wisconsin 24-10

Loss to Ohio State 31-20

Loss to South Carolina 26-19 

I would say the success they did have as a defense was completely dependent on the great front seven they have, not on their four DBs.  That front seven was elite, the DBs just benefited from it.  I do not view Long, Kinnel, Mettalus or Hill as elite NFL prospects thus I do not consider them an elite defensive backfield.  Maybe they will develop more but Long was the one who impressed last year, the others were just ok.  

The year before they had Jourdan Lewis, Delano Hill, Channing Stribling, Dymonte Thomas and Jabrill Peppers back there.  That is a talented secondary, not quite sure to call the group they have now that just yet.  They might get some good young talent this next year to improve it and I expect Benjamin St-Juste to be a solid player down the road.   

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Bryce Love doesn't have blazing speed. I think this is a common misconception. I'd put money on him being a 4.5 40 time guy. Plus while he is agile, this isn't a Darren Sproles level athlete in terms of explosion and lateral quickness.

And he's under 200 pounds. I know he runs hard, but he isn't going to break many tackles when NFL LBs and DL clog holes. He had some massive nonsensical holes to run through at Stanford. I do not see his game translating to the NFL. How many RB's like Bryce Love exist out there? I honestly can't think of one.

He does have great vision though. And he will attempt to pass block, although a sub 200 pound guy pass blocking is going to be a joke 99.9% of the time.

I don't think Bryce Love does anything much different than Akrum Wadley does other than play behind a much better OL and blocking scheme.

I do not think Stanford had that great of a OL this past year.  It was pretty average for Stanford I thought.  David Bright is ok but no elite prospect, Hamilton could be one at OT but will see.  Herbig is arguably their best player and even he might not be a 1st round pick either but maybe could be.  

I do think you underrate his speed a great deal.  To call him not very fast is an insult, he is clearly the #1 RB prospect for the 2019 draft and there is honestly no one close to him.  Sure maybe some of the top rated SOPH backs but they are not eligible.  Love is a fine prospect and I expect potentially more from him if he can get back healthy.  To accomplish what he did being injured consistently with an ankle last year, it was quite impressive to me.  Not to mention playing in the bowl game injured as well when he did not have to.  Showed great heart, toughness and leadership ability.  

There are a lot of smaller RBs in the league, and to say Love cannot put on 10-15 pounds, yeah right.  Ameer Abdullah, Dion Lewis, Giovani Bernard, Alvin Kamara, Chris Thompson, Theo Riddick,, Kenyan Drake, James White along with others are smaller guys.  And like I said if Love can show more in the passing game this up coming year he will be fine, and is as good of runner as any of these guys are and if he can catch up in the passing game even better.  Do not want to take a smaller RB high in the draft, that is fine, but regardless Love could be extremely productive in the NFL and one hell of a weapon with his speed and ability to make people miss and make big plays.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I do not view Long, Kinnel, Mettalus or Hill as elite NFL prospects thus I do not consider them an elite defensive backfield.  Maybe they will develop more but Long was the one who impressed last year, the others were just ok.  

Yeah you're right there with everyone else that isn't a Michigan homer. They're obviously not a bad secondary, but nowhere near as highly touted as this dude is making them out to be.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To call him not very fast is an insult, he is clearly the #1 RB prospect for the 2019 draft and there is honestly no one close to him. 

I don't even know any of the other RB's, but I guarantee you Bryce Love isn't the 1st RB taken in 2019.

38 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't even know any of the other RB's, but I guarantee you Bryce Love isn't the 1st RB taken in 2019.

I would be shocked if he was not, it is not a super strong group and to me he is by far the best one.

Bryce Love Stanford

Benny Snell Jr Kentucky JR

Devin Singletary FAU JR

Justice Hill Ok State JR

Myles Gaskin Washington

Damien Harris Alabama

LJ Scott Michigan State

Jordan Scarlett Florida

Could argue even if he came out this year in 2018 he could have been the 2nd or at worst 3rd drafted RB behind Barkley and Guice but could argue for him over Guice easily.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would be shocked if he was not, it is not a super strong group and to me he is by far the best one.

Bryce Love Stanford

Benny Snell Jr Kentucky JR

Devin Singletary FAU JR

Justice Hill Ok State JR

Myles Gaskin Washington

Damien Harris Alabama

LJ Scott Michigan State

Jordan Scarlett Florida

Could argue even if he came out this year in 2018 he could have been the 2nd or at worst 3rd drafted RB behind Barkley and Guice but could argue for him over Guice easily.  

hmmm that is a pretty poopy pool of RB's.

Mike Weber is better than all of these guys IMO.

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

hmmm that is a pretty poopy pool of RB's.

Mike Weber is better than all of these guys IMO.

True it is not a great group, Weber I feel is in that mix with Rodney Anderson of guys who I have to see more of in terms of consistent production.  Dobbins I suspect will get a majority of the carries for Ohio State so will be hard for Weber to really show what he can do.  Benny Snell I like a lot, he is a tank and is a very strong and hard runner.  Big kid who is tough and very physical just can he stay healthy with the pounding he takes.  But sure the group to get excited about at RB is potentially 2020 but will see.

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True it is not a great group, Weber I feel is in that mix with Rodney Anderson of guys who I have to see more of in terms of consistent production.  Dobbins I suspect will get a majority of the carries for Ohio State so will be hard for Weber to really show what he can do.  Benny Snell I like a lot, he is a tank and is a very strong and hard runner.  Big kid who is tough and very physical just can he stay healthy with the pounding he takes.  But sure the group to get excited about at RB is potentially 2020 but will see.

Dobbins is the best player on that Ohio State offense. That held true last year as well. He's a superstar.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

To end the year like this is not exactly great D, sure offense had something to do with it as well but that ridiculous loss to SC in the bowl game, there was nothing elite about that defensive effort.  Especially when you were up 19-3.  

Loss to Wisconsin 24-10

Loss to Ohio State 31-20

I would say the success they did have as a defense was completely dependent on the great front seven they have, not on their four DBs.  That front seven was elite, the DBs just benefited from it.  I do not view Long, Kinnel, Mettalus or Hill as elite NFL prospects thus I do not consider them an elite defensive backfield.  Maybe they will develop more but Long was the one who impressed last year, the others were just ok.  

The year before they had Jourdan Lewis, Delano Hill, Channing Stribling, Dymonte Thomas and Jabrill Peppers back there.  That is a talented secondary, not quite sure to call the group they have now that just yet.  They might get some good young talent this next year to improve it and I expect Benjamin St-Juste to be a solid player down the road.   

There was nothing elite about the South Carolina game?  How about the three defensive stops at the end of the game to keep giving the offense chances to get the tie.  They gave up 3 touchdowns in a ten minute span, the wheels fell off for a little while.  The offense certainly didn't help as one of those three drives started with the ball at the Michigan 21.  The other happened between scores with only a five play drive.  However, I don't really see the point with the other two games.  They gave up 24 to Wisconsin, with 7 of those on a punt return, that's pretty good.  Wisconsin did the same thing against Ohio State and Miami in the bowl game, two other top level defenses.  Ohio State scored 24 for the majority of the game if you throw out garbage time.  Look at what they did to other good defenses, it was pretty much the same result.  Michigan had a top ten defense last season.

Just because you don't like their secondary doesn't mean they can't play.  I can agree the safeties aren't elite or probably close to it.  However, the corners will be top 10 corners next season.  Pro Football Focus thought they were at that level this season in their first years getting meaningful playing time.

6 minutes ago, winitall said:

There was nothing elite about the South Carolina game?  How about the three defensive stops at the end of the game to keep giving the offense chances to get the tie.  They gave up 3 touchdowns in a ten minute span, the wheels fell off for a little while.  The offense certainly didn't help as one of those three drives started with the ball at the Michigan 21.  The other happened between scores with only a five play drive.  However, I don't really see the point with the other two games.  They gave up 24 to Wisconsin, with 7 of those on a punt return, that's pretty good.  Wisconsin did the same thing against Ohio State and Miami in the bowl game, two other top level defenses.  Ohio State scored 24 for the majority of the game if you throw out garbage time.  Look at what they did to other good defenses, it was pretty much the same result.  Michigan had a top ten defense last season.

Just because you don't like their secondary doesn't mean they can't play.  I can agree the safeties aren't elite or probably close to it.  However, the corners will be top 10 corners next season.  Pro Football Focus thought they were at that level this season in their first years getting meaningful playing time.

I rarely if ever read what others say, much less PFF so great they are ranked high, does not change to me who they are as prospects physically.  Will see how they do this year, still honestly I do not view either is this elite 1st round draft pick at corner.  Things could change sure but will see...

All those last three games, they had a lead especially with SC and Ohio State.  And each when the **** hit the fan and they had to make a stop in the passing game against at times not the best passing units around, they did not do it.  Backup QB without a ton of experience gets in for Ohio State and basically completes almost every pass he makes and in major key situations.  If they were such a great secondary that would simply not happen.  As a Michigan fan which I assume you are, cannot see how those last three games were wildly disappointing especially for a seemingly solid defensive unit.  Sure the year before in 2016 to end the year was tough also, but both of those were hard fought and very respectable and tight losses without such blowups having a good lead.  

But based on some of those stats, one should take Greg Stroman in the draft over Joshua Jackson, yeah right.  Again Michigan has a great front and a fine defensive coach who knows how to get after the QB, so it is no surprise they do well against the pass with that kind of pass rush helping them.  

On 3/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, Ozzy said:

Rodney Anderson had a great second half of the season last year, to call him a early entry candidate at RB, not quite sure about that yet.  He still has to prove himself and do it again with more pressure and less talent around him which will be this season.   He is right there with Darius Anderson, Chris Evans, Mike Weber, Adrian Killins, David Montgomery, Jonathan Ward and Malcolm Perry that have to show me a little more before I project them as a early entry RB.  

As for Kaden Smith, well Albert Okwuegbunam is better than him as a RS SOPH and so is TJ Hockenson arguably.  But Kaden Smith is up there especially with how he did late last year but most of that was KJ progressing as a QB and liking him as a target, so he got a lot of action at TE for sure.  Will see how he progresses this year, not quite sure I am ready to call him a early entry guy either.  To me the #1 TE is JR Caleb Wilson in terms of pass catching ability, but it is still kind of up in the air and I assume one of the Michigan TEs will break out this up coming year.  CJ Conrad is by far the most physical but does need to show more in the passing game but is more of a complete TE than most.

He is very similar to Lewis but I do not feel he is as talented unless he progresses a lot this up coming year.  That Michigan defense, especially the secondary was not that impressive last year, they need to improve a lot there but sure lost a lot from the year before.  Too bad Keith Washington transferred, I think he could be a good player now on West Virginia.  

The safeties were not great, but Hill and Long were outstanding. Don't necessarily trust PFF's metrics, but they had both with passer ratings under 35, I believe. Don't think they surrendered more than a couple TDs between them at most.

Haskins hit some incredibly tight windows in the OSU game too. Hill and Long were not the reason for that. Michigan's defense had some failures down the road, but Michigan's offense let them down every single game and hardly sustained drives to give the defense time

On 3/28/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ozzy said:

Loss to Wisconsin 24-10

Loss to Ohio State 31-20

-I may have missed the whole context of the conversation but in reference to their defense, I personally think there is a deeper story behind those numbers, I think their defense was and still is good, as weird as it sound I think those numbers are more of a reflection of how bad their offense/QB play was, if you constantly go 3 and out and give the opposing offense that many more opportunities to score, they will eventually. 

- I do agree with what you said about their DBs, I watched them all year and the only one I liked was Lavert Hill by far.

- To be honest, I actually think Don Brown makes them all look a lot better than they are

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-I may have missed the whole context of the conversation but in reference to their defense, I personally think there is a deeper story behind those numbers, I think their defense was and still is good, as weird as it sound I think those numbers are more of a reflection of how bad their offense/QB play was, if you constantly go 3 and out and give the opposing offense that many more opportunities to score, they will eventually. 

- I do agree with what you said about their DBs, I watched them all year and the only one I liked was Lavert Hill by far.

- To be honest, I actually think Don Brown makes them all look a lot better than they are

True that Michigan offense is horrible but I still feel in situations late last year if that pass defense was that great and that talented they would have made plays, especially against teams like Wisconsin and Ohio State who had either a backup in at QB or sup par passing game in general.

I agree Don Brown's system makes many of those guys better than they are, especially at DB with the pressure he gets from that defense.  Hudson lives in the backfield and is one hell of a pass rusher, then had Hurt getting back there consistently, Gary as well collapsing the pocket and Bush coming up the middle at times on a blitz or Winovich winning his battle on the outside.  Sure they will lose some of those guys but still have Hudson, Gary and Bush and sure there will be others who all can really get some great pressure on the QB making things much easier for the CBs and DBs in general.  They were all very inexperienced DBs last year, maybe they will all grow more as players this next year, will see.  And hope they can mix in some more corners with some size to them and they have a few coming in with better size and length.  

Sucks that Malek Young had that career ending injury on Miami.  That DB group could have been special with Young and Jackson at corner along with Bandy and then great safeties in Johnson and Redwine.  Still have a chance to be very good even without Young but with Young they could have been great I think.  

Some other DB units outside of Miami FL I think could be strong across the country as well, not including the incoming talent from JUCO of FR ranks just yet, but that could change some things as well with new guys in the mix.

Washington:

Could be one of the best overall units, Taylor Rapp I think is a star safety and easily one of the best coverage safeties. Byron Murphy is a star corner potentially and Myles Bryant and Austin Joyner are both really solid corners as well.  JoJo McIntosh flashes at times at the other safety, very solid unit all across the board.  

Florida State:  

Very solid talent at corner with a ton of potential in Levonta Taylor and Stanford Samuels III, both really smooth cover men I feel.   Hamsah Nasirildeen Has a ton of upside at safety and AJ Westbrook is a solid player as well as Kameron House.

USC:

A little under achieved last year but Jack Jones is as talented as they come but did get picked on a lot last year.   Iman Marshall was some what disappointed with but has really good potential if he improves his game, and Marvell Tell III is a really productive safety and Ajene Harris showed some flashes at times.

LSU:

Not great depth, do lose a lot off this last years team but in terms of elite talent they got two of the best I would say.  Andraez 'Greedy' Williams is as good as any and honestly I view him as the best CB prospect in college right now.  Grant Delpit is a potential super star at safety as well, great prospect who can really tackle in the box.  

Note on Alabama

They do have a ways to go but Deionte Thompson could really breakout this next year with the increase in playing time.  They lose a ton though, a lot of very experienced CBs for sure that could be a big issue.  Will see if Trevon Diggs can improve and become a CB prospect and not just a return man.  Really exciting that they got Saivion Smith from JUCO, he was a former LSU CB and I really liked him there in spring games, could be a star in the making will see.  The freshman will be fun to watch as well especially Patrick Surtain Jr, along with Jalyn Armour-Davis and Josh Jobe, will see how they all do.  

Archived