2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

On 3/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, Shylo3716 said:

Notable guys that should be listed.

Kelly Bryant, QB, Clemson

Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

David Sills V, WR, West Virginia

Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

Kelly Bryant is awful. I really don’t see an NFL QB at all with him.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but Denzel Ward played and flashed as a sophomore and was not a giant surprise this year as a prospect.  Most prospects if they can play, get plenty of time as FR and SOPH players.  Sure some will rise up but most are already known.  Last year in April I had many of the top prospects ranked, sure a ton did fall and some rise and a few join in but most are already out there if one pays attention to players not only eligible for the up coming draft.  I would be very surprised to see Alabama or Clemson have 1st round talents at CB that were just sitting in the wings waiting who are eligible for this 2019 Draft.  Sure they could get guys who are future 2020 or 2021 star corners but they both lost a lot especially Alabama at CB and DB in general.  Alabama has Thompson at safety and maybe Diggs as a potential CB but that is almost it for talented experience back there.  

I have to completely disagree. Teams like Alabama send a ton of top prospects to the draft every year and sitting behind one of those starters is the norm in a system that recruits exceptionally well every year.

Take a Mayfield, he started the season as a 6th round prospect and we can all see that a season of experience has made the world of difference to him. He isn't even mentioned on the pre season lists I have, from very reputable sites!!!At RB, Sony Michel is rated 12th and Chubb is 9th. At TE, Hurst isn't even ranked! Among the OLmen, Wynn gets no mention and neither does Daniels. Will Hernandez is listed as the 14th OG. On the DL, Chubb is listed at 6th, absolutely no mention of Davenport. At LBer ILB, Smith gets no mention and Edwards is listed at #5. At OLBer, Esch and Nwosu aren't listed and Evans is #9? At CB, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes and Oliver get zero mention and at Safety Bates and Reid are not mentioned. 

Worse yet, out of Mayock's top 2 at each position, there are 12 listed players who didn't even make the top 2 at each position.

Pre season lists are nice as starting points from which to work from, but those rankings are not worth the paper they are printed on. Even pro scouts would have a very difficult time predicting the draft based on soph tape???

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I have to completely disagree. Teams like Alabama send a ton of top prospects to the draft every year and sitting behind one of those starters is the norm in a system that recruits exceptionally well every year.

Take a Mayfield, he started the season as a 6th round prospect and we can all see that a season of experience has made the world of difference to him. He isn't even mentioned on the pre season lists I have, from very reputable sites!!!At RB, Sony Michel is rated 12th and Chubb is 9th. At TE, Hurst isn't even ranked! Among the OLmen, Wynn gets no mention and neither does Daniels. Will Hernandez is listed as the 14th OG. On the DL, Chubb is listed at 6th, absolutely no mention of Davenport. At LBer ILB, Smith gets no mention and Edwards is listed at #5. At OLBer, Esch and Nwosu aren't listed and Evans is #9? At CB, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes and Oliver get zero mention and at Safety Bates and Reid are not mentioned. 

Worse yet, out of Mayock's top 2 at each position, there are 12 listed players who didn't even make the top 2 at each position.

Pre season lists are nice as starting points from which to work from, but those rankings are not worth the paper they are printed on. Even pro scouts would have a very difficult time predicting the draft based on soph tape???

Name them on Alabama not including top recruits they have coming in this season who are these stars at CB or DB?  Of course it is a early list but I like looking down the road.  It is not a debate on does this type of list change, the debate is players usually do not always come out of no where.  Sure some do like Josh Jackson or Mike Hughes you mention who improve their stock with their play.   Oliver was a stud I thought as a sophomore, Bates I loved and had as a 1st rounder in the summer, and should be a solid 2nd round pick this year.  Yes Nwosu and Vander Esch played their way into being legit players but maybe of the other guys were already there from before.  Of course some will rise but have to have a starting point off what happened last year, unless one just does not pay attention to all prospects.

Mayfield showed legit ability and for someone to not have him rated as a 1st or 2nd round pick coming into this season, well that is just stupid.  Yes Michel and Chubb increased their stock, but fact is everyone knew who they were, it is not like they came out of no where.  If you are not interested in looking down the road this early, then do not.  

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Also, Chasz Wright likely isn't even going to start this year for Penn State.  They'll go with a R-So and R-Jr at tackles.

True, a guy can hope he figures it out with that massive frame and decent athletic ability for his size, but might be just like last year.  Do note he is not in the first 4 rounds of 32 and is in the maybe section, unlike last year where I thought he could become something and clearly did not and still was in and out of the lineup.  If he cannot become a feature in the lineup this next year that is just sad.  

9 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Nice to see you're high on Terry Beckner, he's a stud. Keep an eye on Jerry Tillery from Notre Dame, he's damn good as well.

Beckner showed stud ability this past year with quickness in the middle and tons of compact power.  I was kind of surprised he did not come out early for this years draft where he could have been a 2nd rounder or a 1st rounder with a good workout, especially with his injury history, but sure could have maybe dropped but doubt it.  

Tillery I like, just need to see if he can take it to the next level, his size is massive and very impressive on the inside with that height.  Bryan Mone be curious how he does because I was not super impressed with him last year after flashing at times as a younger player but was in and out of the lineup.  Ira Lewis on Baylor has elite ability I think and could easily be included in this group potentially, he is a good looking athlete.  Demarcus Christmas Florida State is a guy if he reaches his potential could be a factor as well inside, will see how he does though kind of up and down so far.  Olive Sagapolu Wisconsin will be curious how he does, he flashes for sure at NT from time to time.  Also curious how JR Carlos Davis Nebraska does, I like what he shows and Landers and Jones on Ohio State be curious how they do next year also.  

Don't sleep on either of Michigan's starting corners, David Long and Lavert Hill.  I'm pretty sure PFF had some pretty crazy grades on both of them and their tape matches that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they both end up with 1st or 2nd round grades after this season.  

14 hours ago, winitall said:

Don't sleep on either of Michigan's starting corners, David Long and Lavert Hill.  I'm pretty sure PFF had some pretty crazy grades on both of them and their tape matches that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they both end up with 1st or 2nd round grades after this season.  

Yes true I really like David Long as a corner prospect, he is smooth in coverage.  However I doubt he is a 1st round pick, if Jourdan Lewis was a late 3rd round pick no way Long is a 1st rounder.  In no way is Long a better player than Lewis was, at least off what he showed last year but will see.  As for Hill, I was not as impressed with him last year like I was with Long, he still has a little ways to go I feel to be rated that highly.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:05 AM, Ozzy said:

Yes true I really like David Long as a corner prospect, he is smooth in coverage.  However I doubt he is a 1st round pick, if Jourdan Lewis was a late 3rd round pick no way Long is a 1st rounder.  In no way is Long a better player than Lewis was, at least off what he showed last year but will see.  As for Hill, I was not as impressed with him last year like I was with Long, he still has a little ways to go I feel to be rated that highly.

Lewis was smaller and had the cloud of the (bogus) domestic violence case hanging over him. JD also didn't test as well as people thought he would, and Long should have better numbers. Hill is basically a clone of Lewis.

8 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Ummm I'm guessing you just haven't heard of Rodney Anderson?  

Also if we are just naming draft eligible players regardless if they will actually enter Kaden Smith is easily the top TE.

Rodney Anderson had a great second half of the season last year, to call him a early entry candidate at RB, not quite sure about that yet.  He still has to prove himself and do it again with more pressure and less talent around him which will be this season.   He is right there with Darius Anderson, Chris Evans, Mike Weber, Adrian Killins, David Montgomery, Jonathan Ward and Malcolm Perry that have to show me a little more before I project them as a early entry RB.  

As for Kaden Smith, well Albert Okwuegbunam is better than him as a RS SOPH and so is TJ Hockenson arguably.  But Kaden Smith is up there especially with how he did late last year but most of that was KJ progressing as a QB and liking him as a target, so he got a lot of action at TE for sure.  Will see how he progresses this year, not quite sure I am ready to call him a early entry guy either.  To me the #1 TE is JR Caleb Wilson in terms of pass catching ability, but it is still kind of up in the air and I assume one of the Michigan TEs will break out this up coming year.  CJ Conrad is by far the most physical but does need to show more in the passing game but is more of a complete TE than most.

23 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Lewis was smaller and had the cloud of the (bogus) domestic violence case hanging over him. JD also didn't test as well as people thought he would, and Long should have better numbers. Hill is basically a clone of Lewis.

He is very similar to Lewis but I do not feel he is as talented unless he progresses a lot this up coming year.  That Michigan defense, especially the secondary was not that impressive last year, they need to improve a lot there but sure lost a lot from the year before.  Too bad Keith Washington transferred, I think he could be a good player now on West Virginia.  

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rodney Anderson had a great second half of the season last year, to call him a early entry candidate at RB, not quite sure about that yet.  He still has to prove himself and do it again with more pressure and less talent around him which will be this season.   He is right there with Darius Anderson, Chris Evans, Mike Weber, Adrian Killins, David Montgomery, Jonathan Ward and Malcolm Perry that have to show me a little more before I project them as a early entry RB.  

As for Kaden Smith, well Albert Okwuegbunam is better than him as a RS SOPH and so is TJ Hockenson arguably.  But Kaden Smith is up there especially with how he did late last year but most of that was KJ progressing as a QB and liking him as a target, so he got a lot of action at TE for sure.  Will see how he progresses this year, not quite sure I am ready to call him a early entry guy either.  To me the #1 TE is JR Caleb Wilson in terms of pass catching ability, but it is still kind of up in the air and I assume one of the Michigan TEs will break out this up coming year.  CJ Conrad is by far the most physical but does need to show more in the passing game but is more of a complete TE than most..  

Assuming his medical checks out Anderson would be the #2 RB in the 2018 draft. In half a season he out produced every RB in the country(including all the guys you listed)

Kaden did a whole lot more for Costello than Costello did for him. 

3 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Assuming his medical checks out Anderson would be the #2 RB in the 2018 draft. In half a season he out produced every RB in the country(including all the guys you listed)

Kaden did a whole lot more for Costello than Costello did for him. 

Anderson is one to watch for sure, and yes in his short amount of playing time he out produced those guys I listed before but I still feel they are all kind of in that same boat.  But he is arguably not better than any of these RBs I feel listed below.     Could maybe but I would be surprised if keeps up his production from second half of last year.

Bryce Love Stanford

Benny Snell Jr Kentucky JR

Devin Singletary FAU JR

Justice Hill Ok State JR

Myles Gaskin Washington

Damien Harris Alabama

LJ Scott Michigan State

Jordan Scarlett Florida

Not to mention all of these guys not eligible for the draft in 2019 who are elite prospects already even after one year, and I think they have more upside than Anderson does.  Possibly could throw Akers into the mix after this up coming season.  These to me are elite level prospects I would already project as early entry RB types in 2020, so not quite sold on Rodney Anderson just yet being at that level quite yet.

Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin

AJ Dillion Boston College

Najee Harris Alabama

JK Dobbins Ohio State

As for Kaden Smith carrying Costello, that is a no.  The guy never had 100 yards receiving last year, was not the best all around TE on his team either and was just a red zone threat basically and did not do much in the middle of the field consistently all year.  Made some great end zone catches though especially in the last three games, made some huge plays.  So to say he carried Costello, again no.  Talented yes, is he this out of this world TE off of what he shown last year, I do not think so, not yet.  Will see if he can become that. 

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Not a Bryce Love fan. Boring traits.

So not a fan of RBs who play with great toughness and grit?  Not a fan of RBs who have blazing speed and ability to make you miss?   Not a fan of RBs who rush for over 2000 yards that were hurt for around half of the games he played yet still toughed it out till the end?  The guy limped off the field more times than I can count last year yet still was in there for his team.  There is not much to dislike about Love, sure could dislike his frame but what he did last year in a struggling offense with not many weapons around him is insane.  Sure he got much improved QB play later in the year with KJ but Love was the #1 option by far ever game he played.  He freaking averaged 8 yards a carry on over 260 carries, that is flat out nuts production.  If he improves in the passing game making plays that way, there would be almost nothing he could not do from the RB spot running or receiving, then again it is how they use him and as a FR was quite the weapon as the pass catcher when asked.  

And back on Rodney Anderson, I think teams last year basically were not that focused on him because they had enough to worry about with Mayfield ripping them apart.  Losing Flowers at FB is huge and that OL loses a ton obviously with Orlando Brown and a solid player in Eric Wren.  And not having Mark Andrews will hurt as well keeping teams off balance.  Sure they got Murray there at QB but he is no were close to the same kind of passer that Mayfield is, yes could do some things in the run game with Anderson but it will be much different with all the attention potentially shifted Anderson's way.  I am excited to see Jonathan Alvarez Oklahoma on the OL after his RS year, he could be a beast and I liked him a lot in a few years back.  If Anderson is as productive as he was late last year this up coming season, then yes of course he deserves to be ranked that highly, but he still has to do it.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

As for Kaden Smith, well Albert Okwuegbunam is better than him as a RS SOPH and so is TJ Hockenson arguably.  But Kaden Smith is up there especially with how he did late last year but most of that was KJ progressing as a QB and liking him as a target, so he got a lot of action at TE for sure.  Will see how he progresses this year, not quite sure I am ready to call him a early entry guy either.  To me the #1 TE is JR Caleb Wilson in terms of pass catching ability, but it is still kind of up in the air and I assume one of the Michigan TEs will break out this up coming year.  CJ Conrad is by far the most physical but does need to show more in the passing game but is more of a complete TE than most.

He is very similar to Lewis but I do not feel he is as talented unless he progresses a lot this up coming year.  That Michigan defense, especially the secondary was not that impressive last year, they need to improve a lot there but sure lost a lot from the year before.  Too bad Keith Washington transferred, I think he could be a good player now on West Virginia.  

Wait what?  I am honestly not sure if you watched a single Michigan football game from last season if you believe Michigan’s defense was anything short of elite. They allowed the fewest passing yards in the country last season. Opposing quarterbacks went:

141-296 (47.6%), 1712 yards, 5.8 YPA, allowed 9 TD, had 9 INT. 

That is extremely good. Arguably the best in the country. The only real weak spot in coverage was Josh Mettalus at times against athletic tight ends or slots. 

Archived