2019 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+ Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

44 minutes ago, Scout said:

Jaquan Johnson is a really good player but top 10? I was thinking 25-40 range

Yeah he's not a top 10 guy. And I'm a big Miami Hurricane fan. He has elite instincts and athletic ability, but I don't think he has the frame to be viewed as an elite safety prospect. I love him, but I'd be shocked if he went in the top 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah he's not a top 10 guy. And I'm a big Miami Hurricane fan. He has elite instincts and athletic ability, but I don't think he has the frame to be viewed as an elite safety prospect. I love him, but I'd be shocked if he went in the top 10.

What do you think of his abilities in man and zone?

6 hours ago, Scout said:

Jaquan Johnson is a really good player but top 10? I was thinking 25-40 range

Sure maybe he is a little on the slight side but I think he could add some muscle weight to that frame.  In terms of athletic ability and a combination of tackling and coverage ability he is the best safety in next years draft.  Kid has great athletic ability, is very explosive as a tackler for his size, can really bring it and is quick in coverage as well.  Could time very well and again with being able to lay the wood and still cover with speed that could be very interesting.  Potentially he showed a lot last year and with improvement and more to come potentially this year I think top 10-15 in the draft is not out the the question for him.  Sure Budda Baker was not this huge safety either in terms of size, and arguably is a much better slot corner in terms of versatility than Johnson but still was an athletic playmaker who could make plays in coverage and hit aggressively like Johnson.  Yeah Baker dropped into the 2nd round but should have no doubt been a 1st round pick I think.  

As for Deondre Francois, the kid really impressed me as a freshman with his ability to stare down the gun barrel and take shot after shot yet still deliver fine throws in the pocket despite being so young.  Kid got killed as a freshman back there yet showed great leadership and pocket passing ability I thought.  Sure a lot is projection and assumed improvement because he had such a great freshman year and since the injury last year maybe he has not progressed that much, will see.  Would be a lot more clear if he played last season.  And his trouble with the law most recently is not a good sign either.  So sure it is projection having him in the 1st round but honestly no QB out there right now is some lock 1st rounder either because many have a lot to prove before they can become 1st round QBs.  

6 hours ago, Scout said:

What do you think of his abilities in man and zone?

He's excellent in both. He is at his best robbing underneath zones in the curl/flat area or working down into the "hole" player in a cover 1 defense. He is excellent at baiting QB's into bad throws with his excellent anticipation and spacing. I view him as an elite coverage piece for a secondary, but I don't think he could really play corner or be a true box safety. He's a free safety all the way for me. He's Earl Thomas in coverage, but not quite as good against the run as Thomas was at Texas.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's excellent in both. He is at his best robbing underneath zones in the curl/flat area or working down into the "hole" player in a cover 1 defense. He is excellent at baiting QB's into bad throws with his excellent anticipation and spacing. I view him as an elite coverage piece for a secondary, but I don't think he could really play corner or be a true box safety. He's a free safety all the way for me. He's Earl Thomas in coverage, but not quite as good against the run as Thomas was at Texas.

If he's primarily used as a "rat" player and from what I've seen has very good run support, why do you see him as a FS all the way? I ask about coverage because all I've seen are YouTube cuts against ND and Wisconsin where you can't see/properly grade coverage. Just a bit confused about his usage/projection based on your post. 

7 minutes ago, Scout said:

If he's primarily used as a "rat" player and from what I've seen has very good run support, why do you see him as a FS all the way? I ask about coverage because all I've seen are YouTube cuts against ND and Wisconsin where you can't see/properly grade coverage. Just a bit confused about his usage/projection based on your post. 

He won't be able to play in the box and shed blocks from OL/TE/FB's. He's at his best freelancing and having some freedom to move around and create. Moving him into the box and telling him "fill this gap" and "sit in this flat zone" aren't playing to his strengths. He's not Ed Reed, but they're similar in play style. You wouldn't want Ed Reed rolled up and being part of your rigid run fits and I think Johnson is kind of the same thing.

He's not a bad tackler, but he is just simply too small to be mixing it up in the box against big bodies. He's not going to miss a ton of tackles or anything...it's more about his effectiveness as being the "4th linebacker" as the roll down SS that leads me to believe he can't play there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He won't be able to play in the box and shed blocks from OL/TE/FB's. He's at his best freelancing and having some freedom to move around and create. Moving him into the box and telling him "fill this gap" and "sit in this flat zone" aren't playing to his strengths. He's not Ed Reed, but they're similar in play style. You wouldn't want Ed Reed rolled up and being part of your rigid run fits and I think Johnson is kind of the same thing.

He's not a bad tackler, but he is just simply too small to be mixing it up in the box against big bodies. He's not going to miss a ton of tackles or anything...it's more about his effectiveness as being the "4th linebacker" as the roll down SS that leads me to believe he can't play there.

To me Chase Hansen is the only other safety who could compete with Johnson for the top safety spot in next years draft.  Sure Johnson is not a big body but the kid is a damn good safety and I expect him to be ever better this year.  Hansen is more the big body type, can play in the box and cover but Johnson to me is way better and more versatile in coverage than Hansen has been.  And especially last year Johnson was way more of an impact playmaker than Hansen who was in and out of the lineup with injuries.  Hopefully Hansen can stay healthy on the field this year and improve a little in coverage.

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To me Chase Hansen is the only other safety who could compete with Johnson for the top safety spot in next years draft.  Sure Johnson is not a big body but the kid is a damn good safety and I expect him to be ever better this year.  Hansen is more the big body type, can play in the box and cover but Johnson to me is way better and more versatile in coverage than Hansen has been.  And especially last year Johnson was way more of an impact playmaker than Hansen who was in and out of the lineup with injuries.  Hopefully Hansen can stay healthy on the field this year and improve a little in coverage.

I believe Hansen has moved to LB 

35 minutes ago, Scout said:

I believe Hansen has moved to LB 

True but that is more scheme to deal with Pac-10 spread offenses potentially and also depends on the current depth on that Utah roster and what position they have needs at.  Harrison Smith played linebacker at Notre Dame, obviously does not mean he is a linebacker and is not one in the NFL.  Of course depends on how he times out or how well he does at linebacker but still the kid is physically impressive and has a higher upside at safety with this combo size and athletic ability I feel.  Drue Tranquill made similar switch this past year for Notre Dame from S to OLB and played great and should be even better this year.  Will see how Hansen does but still to me he has more  intrigue as a safety and cannot be totally ruled out as a safety prospect.  

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Tyler Vaughns could be a potential riser next season. I like both of the Buffalo QB's. Wouldn't be surprised if Christian Alexander ended up as draft quality guy in 2020.

I agree Vaughns was one of the most impressive freshman WRs last year, but he is a Redshirt prospect and seriously doubt he comes out early for the draft.  Really came on late last year I thought but things could be totally different with Darnold not throwing the football, see if he can become more of a #1 option.  Same can be said with Pittman at WR and Imatorbhebhe at TE.  

That other Buffalo QB Anderson transferred to Murray State so not a great sign but will see how he does, Jackson was by far the more talented player I think and even he still has a lot to improve on.  As for Christian Alexander what are you basing that off of, just his ability in high school because he has done little to nothing in college so far, if the FIU QB is who you are talking about.  

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree Vaughns was one of the most impressive freshman WRs last year, but he is a Redshirt prospect and seriously doubt he comes out early for the draft.  Really came on late last year I thought but things could be totally different with Darnold not throwing the football, see if he can become more of a #1 option.  Same can be said with Pittman at WR and Imatorbhebhe at TE.  

That other Buffalo QB Anderson transferred to Murray State so not a great sign but will see how he does, Jackson was by far the more talented player I think and even he still has a lot to improve on.  As for Christian Alexander what are you basing that off of, just his ability in high school because he has done little to nothing in college so far, if the FIU QB is who you are talking about.  

Had no idea Anderson transferred. Alexander hasn't played much but in his scarce PT he's looked good, he's talented and it's very much a  projection based on the improvement Alex showed under Davis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

This seemed like the best place to post this since you mentioned Adonis with a 3rd round grade.

Thanks for sharing this, I looked into it more and here is what he said as to the reason why.

"

"After last season, my family and I received positive feedback from the NFL, but I decided to return to Virginia Tech to make a run at the National Championship with my brothers. Unfortunately, I have been ruled academically ineligible for the upcoming season and have therefore decided to apply for the NFL's Supplemental Draft. I take fully responsibility for not taking care of my business in the classroom. I will use this tough lesson as motivation to get better and learn from my mistakes as I become a professional. I appreciate all the support VT's coaches and athletic department have given to me during my time on campus. Thank you all again! Hokie for life!" signed Adonis Alexander via a twitter post."

Pretty crazy man, on the field Alexander has great potential but most is just based on what he is physically, if he was 5-10 few would be talking about him.  He does not make a ton of plays on the field and has not been super productive.  Talented yes and tons to work with being a big athletic corner but still has a ways to go, there is a reason he came back to school.  If he was that good he would have went out for the draft this year.  Would have been nice to see him for one more year but because he is academically ineligible he is going to the NFL through the back door.  Too bad for him but will see if it can work out...

Alexander similar to Brandon Facyson who was a tall corner but went as a UDFA this past year, again tall long corner who really flashed as a young player but never stayed at that level and got injured.  Alexander is similar to that I feel, more talented than Facyson but similar drop in production compared to his freshman year play.  Some called Alexander a 1st round corner in 2019 'his agent' but really he would of had to play great this up coming year for that to happen, and it could have but no longer now.  

brandon facyson