• Mason Rudolph
    • Dallas Goedert
    • Derrius Guice
    • Best Available Corner
    • Jessie Bates
    • None of the above
    • Best WR Available

48 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If the rumors turn out to be true you may have the season start with Burrnett and Sutton as safeties and Davis as backup.

What rumors are you speaking of? 

There's been two blog sites I saw that speculated Sutton and to quote:

Hilton solidified his role as the nickle back, something the wanted for Sutton.  So a move to FS would get the 2017 3rd round pick on the field.

Which is about the worst logic I've seen because:

1) Sutton has shown inside and outside ability.  Moving him to FS would be cutting of your nose (a good depth corner) to spite your face (Not wanting Davis on the field).

2) The team has heavily indicated that Davis at FS is something they want to try.

3) They say so they can get the 2017 3rd round pick on the field.  One hints at otherwise it's a wasted pick. But nothing about how Davis is a 2016 2nd round pick.

I saw a tweet while I was looking for this 'rumor' and I saw something rather interesting.  A league wide blogger, who said:

I don't understand why Steeler fans treat Davis like he's a 10 year vet, rather than the 24 year old he is.  Saddled with a terrible partner at safety and asked to do things that were known problems and why he should be a safety, Davis has yet to show what he can really do.

And I kinda agree with that statement.  We act like he should be much more developed.  SS was a bad role for him all along because he wasn't a great hitter, and he struggled in man coverage at Maryland.  And playing with Mike Mitchell is like....well, having a no armed man be a moving partner.  He can't carry his weight.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What rumors are you speaking of? 

friends with local Pittsburgh coverage have told me about it.  So local reporters ( local to Pittsburgh).

The Steelers' acquisition of Morgan Burnett may result in the benching of Sean Davis.

That's the opinion of former-NFL-scout-turned-Steelers-radio-analyst Matt Williamson. He was on Mark Madden's show Tuesday. You can hear the audio here at roughly the 3:23 mark.

I agree that Sutton has looked really good outside.  Hilton could not play outside but has been exceptional at nickle.  Best 11

Just now, jebrick said:

Thus how rumors start

Not really.  That's how falsities start.  Hence why I call him Crappaport after 4 years saying Ben wanted to be traded.  He wasn't reporting.  He was making something up on an opinion.

Williamson is doing the exact same thing.  Davis played SS last year.  Burnnett is a SS.  Ergo Davis get's benched.  Ignored the fact that there is sourced material stating the Davis would move to FS, nothing about Sutton moving to FS.  Now if they draft a FS early, or the early MTO's show Sutton at FS that's a different story.  But as of right now the only 2 true things are Burnett is a SS, and Davis is likely moving to FS.

Everything else from Williamson is speculation and opinion.  Not rumor.

I’m not sure how a soon to be 30 and oft injured safety excludes a 1st round pick at safety.  I don’t think grooming a FS to be able to make defensive calls And take over in a year or two would be a bad move.  Other than ILB I do not think any rookie is going to play a significant role next year.  There is a good chance there are no ILB on the board and I don’t think they reach.

Also I have read a few local guys report the Steelers could run a lot of 3 safety packages next year.  

Also, please provide a link to where the “team” has “ heavily” indicated Davis would move to FS.  

Im not saying it won’t happen.   I think it’s logical.  However, I still think it’s speculation by local beat writers and fans.  Just like a lot of the other comments here.  

13 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I’m not sure how a soon to be 30 and oft injured safety excludes a 1st round pick at safety.  I don’t think grooming a FS to be able to make defensive calls And take over in a year or two would be a bad move.  Other than ILB I do not think any rookie is going to play a significant role next year.  There is a good chance there are no ILB on the board and I don’t think they reach.

Also I have read a few local guys report the Steelers could run a lot of 3 safety packages next year.  

We haven’t even seen 24 year old Sean Davis take one snap at FS and we’re saying it’s time to replace him already? Ben with Burnett I would bet they put off safety for a year unless someone on their board lands at their feet. 

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

We haven’t even seen 24 year old Sean Davis take one snap at FS and we’re saying it’s time to replace him already? Ben with Burnett I would bet they put off safety for a year unless someone on their board lands at their feet. 

To start I never said bench or replace Davis.

2nd moving Davis to FS isn’t official 

3rd Burnett has played FS, so that cant be 100% dismissed.  

4th the lines have become pretty blurred when it comes to the roles of FS and SS with the Steelers.  A player like Reid could play either .   

17 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

NFL.com, DraftWire, Walter etc etc... He was 5th round prospect until the combine and now is a day 2 late 2nd-3rd round grade. Just because we talked to him doesn't make him a 1st rounder...

NFL.com :

Analysis

Strengths

Impressive fluidity for a safety with smooth hips and sudden feet. Quick in coverage transitions. Can line up over top of slots. Has pattern recognition to shade the breaks. Instinctive. Processes quarterback at same speed quarterback is processing field. Instant trigger to the throw. No stall at the top on his plant-and-drive. Sprints to potential pass target after recognizing play-action. Excellent route balance from zone. High school outfielder and hooper with plus ball tracking and ball skills. Can take it away and take it to the house. Volume tackler who is drawn to the football. Runs the alley and finishes with force. Has versatility to be utilized in a variety of coverages and alignments.

Weaknesses

Has just two years of game experience. Needs more meat on his bones. Plays bigger than his frame raising durability concerns. Needs to play with better discipline in deep coverage responsibilities. Sniffs around on misdirection and will allow routes to get beyond him. Doesn't have a big second gear in his closing burst. Angles to the ball in coverage and as a tackler need work. Inconsistent tackler due to leverage issues. Overpursues and allows runners to cut back across his face.

Draft Projection

Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison

Justin Evans

Bottom Line

Versatile safety option with the athletic ability to handle man coverage responsibilities in space and the instincts and ball skills to post ball production in zone coverage. Bates is more than willing as a hitter, but can get himself in trouble as an open-field tackler due to inconsistent pursuit angles and technique. Bates plays with energy and aggressiveness and is likely to fill a stat sheet with production thanks to his versatility and play traits. He should contribute early on defense and special teams and has a chance to become a good NFL starter.

So because 2 sites project him as a 5th rounder thats what everyone should believe. And Justin Evans is a poor comparison, thats awful. Just because some writer for NFL.com wrote something means very little, have you read their articles? Those writers are most often horrible.  Perhaps if Bucky or DJ wrote it I'd give it a little more merit but I dont agree with them on everything. Ive had him as a 2nd-3rd round grade since Ive watched his tape. You cant help but raise your level of attention when you watch his play. The combine had nothing to do with the evaluation, it hardly ever does. If you think that it does, you really dont know much about the actual process.

Bates falls into that pool of 2nd round type talent that can be pushed up into the 1st, the same goes for Evans and Vander Esch, they are not lock 1st rounders. 

36 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Also, please provide a link to where the “team” has “ heavily” indicated Davis would move to FS.  

Im not saying it won’t happen.   I think it’s logical.  However, I still think it’s speculation by local beat writers and fans.  Just like a lot of the other comments here.  

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/15/mike-mitchell-contract-sean-davis-safeties-tom-bradley/stories/201802150130

Dulac is one of the few I trust anymore, but he's indicating the team has hinted at it.

34 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

So because 2 sites project him as a 5th rounder thats what everyone should believe. And Justin Evans is a poor comparison, thats awful. Just because some writer for NFL.com wrote something means very little, have you read their articles? Those writers are most often horrible.  Perhaps if Bucky or DJ wrote it I'd give it a little more merit but I dont agree with them on everything. Ive had him as a 2nd-3rd round grade since Ive watched his tape. You cant help but raise your level of attention when you watch his play. The combine had nothing to do with the evaluation, it hardly ever does. If you think that it does, you really dont know much about the actual process.

Bates falls into that pool of 2nd round type talent that can be pushed up into the 1st, the same goes for Evans and Vander Esch, they are not lock 1st rounders. 

Do you really think Evans is not 1st round talent??

Just curious, haven't seen many people say that or many mocks falling past us at 28

Archived