• Mason Rudolph
    • Dallas Goedert
    • Derrius Guice
    • Best Available Corner
    • Jessie Bates
    • None of the above
    • Best WR Available

7 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

So because 2 sites project him as a 5th rounder thats what everyone should believe. And Justin Evans is a poor comparison, thats awful. Just because some writer for NFL.com wrote something means very little, have you read their articles? Those writers are most often horrible.  Perhaps if Bucky or DJ wrote it I'd give it a little more merit but I dont agree with them on everything. Ive had him as a 2nd-3rd round grade since Ive watched his tape. You cant help but raise your level of attention when you watch his play. The combine had nothing to do with the evaluation, it hardly ever does. If you think that it does, you really dont know much about the actual process.

Bates falls into that pool of 2nd round type talent that can be pushed up into the 1st, the same goes for Evans and Vander Esch, they are not lock 1st rounders. 

So since you obviously didn't read all of it, and it was a hell of a lot more than 2 sites, it says he is a 2nd day prospect between 2nd and 3rd rounds.

21 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

Also, please provide a link to where the “team” has “ heavily” indicated Davis would move to FS.  

Im not saying it won’t happen.   I think it’s logical.  However, I still think it’s speculation by local beat writers and fans.  Just like a lot of the other comments here.  

Okay, but it's still completely warranted and logical speculation. We signed Burnett and his best spot is SS, so it makes sense that they would consider moving Davis to free safety to accommodate this signing. I don't recall anyone on here or anywhere else claiming that it's definitely going to happen... just that it very well could.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:13 AM, warfelg said:

And I kinda agree with that statement.  We act like he should be much more developed.  SS was a bad role for him all along because he wasn't a great hitter, and he struggled in man coverage at Maryland.  And playing with Mike Mitchell is like....well, having a no armed man be a moving partner.  He can't carry his weight.

I know he is Young, but he has shown no development in his first two years. I haven't completely given up on him, but I sure as hell wouldn't pass on a safety this year to potentially replace him, or at the very least push him.

I didn't like Davis coming out. He has marginal instincts and isn't very physical. Nothing he has done as changed my mind on him... At least not for the better. The only reason I have any hope left for him is because we got a new secondary coach, so here's hoping he can do something with Davis that Carnell Lake couldn't.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I know he is Young, but he has shown no development in his first two years. I haven't completely given up on him, but I sure as hell wouldn't pass on a safety this year to potentially replace him, or at the very least push him.

I didn't like Davis coming out. He has marginal instincts and isn't very physical. Nothing he has done as changed my mind on him... At least not for the better. The only reason I have any hope left for him is because we got a new secondary coach, so here's hoping he can do something with Davis that Carnell Lake couldn't.

I think you have to ignore year one with him, since we played him at slot CB, then nickle safety, then played him at SS sparingly.  Hard to develop when you don't know what you might be playing the next week.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think you have to ignore year one with him, since we played him at slot CB, then nickle safety, then played him at SS sparingly.  Hard to develop when you don't know what you might be playing the next week.

Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that I still didn't like him coming out of college. Everything about his skillset screams average-at-best... And that's at the top of his game.

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that I still didn't like him coming out of college. Everything about his skillset screams average-at-best... And that's at the top of his game.

And that's fair enough.  I think the constant moving of him from spot to spot is going to ruin him a bit.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, JPeezy55 said:

Do you really think Evans is not 1st round talent??

Just curious, haven't seen many people say that or many mocks falling past us at 28

Evans is in strong consideration for my potential top choices. Just that if we had opportunities for a pass rusher (Landry), a cornerback (Oliver) or the right safety I would feel we could be pushing up Evans based on need. 

I guess this combine interview mirrors and helps explain the questions I had about his explosiveness. A reporter asks him a question about the difference in explosion vs 2016.  I do love how he blitzes though, its my favorite thing about his game as it reminds of Potsie. Its not as much about his athletic ability its about his understanding and desire of how to disrupt the pocket and crash the backfield effectively. He moves well so if they feel he can command the defense Im on board. 

19 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

So since you obviously didn't read all of it, and it was a hell of a lot more than 2 sites, it says he is a 2nd day prospect between 2nd and 3rd rounds.

You basically said it was crazy to consider him in the first because he is a Day 2 pick and then went further to say he was a 5th round pick based on those 2-3 sites you quoted until his performance at the combine. Day 2 like the beginning of the 2nd round is far more likely than the end of the 3rd. Which means it is hardly absurd to consider him as a first round pick.  He's a likely 25-50 type prospect and a heck of a ball player. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

And that's fair enough.  I think the constant moving of him from spot to spot is going to ruin him a bit.

I get what youre saying....but he missed 21 tackles last year and blew a ton of assignments.   Thats not due to moving around....thats just because he is a mediocre talent.

He is still young.   FS IMO is his best chance to succeed and I said that when he came out.    Now he has a new coach.  He now has a chance to turn it around.      Do I think he will ever be a starting caliber safety?  No, but I dont think he wouldve been that even if they had started him at FS from day one and never moved him. 

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I get what youre saying....but he missed 21 tackles last year and blew a ton of assignments.   Thats not due to moving around....thats just because he is a mediocre talent.

He is still young.   FS IMO is his best chance to succeed and I said that when he came out.    Now he has a new coach.  He now has a chance to turn it around.      Do I think he will ever be a starting caliber safety?  No, but I dont think he wouldve been that even if they had started him at FS from day one and never moved him. 

I think you hit at why he should have been a FS from the start though.  He's not a great tackler and he misses assignments when asked to play up on guys close to the line.  That was his scouting report coming out and why he should have been a FS in the first place.

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think you hit at why he should have been a FS from the start though.  He's not a great tackler and he misses assignments when asked to play up on guys close to the line.  That was his scouting report coming out and why he should have been a FS in the first place.

Oh yeah, I know and agree with that.   Thats his best chance at succeeding.   Im just saying I dont think he will be that good as a FS either.    I honestly think if we move him to FS, he will just be a younger version of Mike Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Oh yeah, I know and agree with that.   Thats his best chance at succeeding.   Im just saying I dont think he will be that good as a FS either.    I honestly think if we move him to FS, he will just be a younger version of Mike Mitchell.

Yea, I get you.  I just think if he turns out to be average, I'm not too upset by that.  Can't have studs everywhere.  Bound to have some average players.  And I think I'm ok with that.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yea, I get you.  I just think if he turns out to be average, I'm not too upset by that.  Can't have studs everywhere.  Bound to have some average players.  And I think I'm ok with that.

Again, I agree.  I even said that awhile back.    If he turns out average, Ill call it a success.  

On 3/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, jebrick said:

I vote Landry because he is BPA there.

I agree and voted the same way.    Landry is a special talent at the edge.  With some NFL caliber coaching and strength training, he could be a force.  A difference maker.  

This list concerns me.  If Evans and VanderEsch are gone,  (Even LVE might be a stretch there - similar to how I felt about Watt last year)  I'm not loving anyone much at #28.  Maybe Reid, maybe Harrison, but I'm not overly confident with those selections.  Maybe I just haven't gone deep enough with this class yet.  

Archived