Defensive prospects

diamondbull424

So as was stated by @Danandwe typically talk mostly about receivers, running backs, and to a lesser degree offensive tackles.

Who are your favorite defensive prospects in this draft class and why? Who should we be looking into as potential best players available in the first round? As @DontTazeMeBro alluded to, which defenders’ value might be just too good to pass up early in the draft?

Well, I don't think we talk about Derwin James enough around here, but if I had to name a few others?

Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds.

Both could be BPA options. Both have athleticism on par with our money backers, so it's possible the FO could feel they wouldn't be a liability in DIME. It's a tough pill for this fandom to swallow at times but Mosley is no where near an elite LB. The FO won't be unaware of our deficiencies at the position, the LB's play at points was as bad as the safeties. 

We do not have the personnel to properly blanket TEs or bring down powerful runners/receivers, at either LB or S. We play the Panthers this year, anyone else having horror flashes of Mosley trying to cover McCaffrey? How about us dealing with Kamara when we play the Saints?

Our defense failed us this year and as much as our offense is embarrassing, we've lost games solely on defensive shortcomings as well.

Tremaine Edmunds is one of the highest potential LBs to come out in years and Roquan Smith is a young ascending player at the position with instincts only trumped by Kuechly when compared to other LBs coming out in recent years. Both have the analytics to back up their top 10 hype, so I see no reason why they wouldn't be considered. 

I do have horrible nightmares of Martindale employing the same not-covering-the-middle defense that Pees was so fond of. That would not be good against McCaffrey or Kamara regardless of what personnel the Ravens have on defense. 

But yeah, Mosley isn't good at that even when he does have man-coverage responsibilities. He makes some big plays but isn't consistently good. It's hard to find a good way to describe his value or what kind of contract he should get. I don't know. Maybe that's why he doesn't have a new deal yet. If the Ravens are thinking of letting him walk then inside linebacker is probably the biggest need on the team going forward. Can't just draft on what the biggest needs are right now if there's something relevant coming up in the near future too.

With that in mind I could absolutely see Smith, Edmunds, or Vander Esch as the pick at 16. Baltimore's seemingly still having heavy interest in free agent wide receivers makes me think they aren't too keen on taking one in the first round and that's not a good spot for the offensive line in this class either. Same goes for tight end and it would be early for Guice if the team wanted a running back. The defensive line is still set and I'm not seeing an edge rusher being much of a priority. Corner is pretty well stocked even if there are durability concerns, but I'm not totally ruling that out as a possibility (just going to be a really small one). Safety is in an odd spot with Weddle kind of degrading and Jefferson being underwhelming even though he was utilized in a role nowhere near the same as he was in Arizona. Still, a lot of money invested there. Derwin is the only guy worth taking that high though and if he's available it's an easy decision to take him.

That leaves... quarterback? Not seeing it. I think Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, and Rosen will all be off the board by 16 so Jackson might be their only option. He's not a bad one (if available, and I'm leaning towards that not being the case) but I don't get the feeling that the Ravens are intent on grooming Flacco's replacement yet. Harbaugh is too busy fighting for his job to take on that task and De Costa doesn't take over until next year.

So inside linebacker can make sense. Still hoping for Ridley or Moore though. James for the BPA value pick but I have heavy doubts he lasts that long. Otherwise I'm not seeing a "must take" defender at 16.  

I just want to get "younger" and more versatile. An Armani Watts could be this years Marcus Williams. A Levi Wallace could a really great late round addition where we cover both the CB/S position.

We have solid players on defense, we lack differencemakers. Either we pick a difference maker high, or we have to take chance on an athletic player later in the draft with other deficiencies.

Yeah, as of late, I’ve really been thinking ILB and corner could make a lot of sense for us if we aren’t able to find a trade back in this class.

I mean, when looking at the receivers in this class, in a vacuum, I don’t really mind taking one for need. That being said, no receiver in this class is as good at their position as Connor Williams is at OT. And similarly, no receiver is as dominant/good as Roquan Smith is when he’s “on” from what I remember of him. I’m going to start looking more into defenders though.

Usually at pick 16, the positions where an elite player can be had still are generally ILB and corner. We have plenty of corner depth, but with Brandon Carr up there in age and Jimmy Smith very injury prone and coming off an Achilles injury, you have to wonder if corner could make sense as a BPA pick.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

An Armani Watts could be this years Marcus Williams. [...]

We have solid players on defense, we lack differencemakers.

Williams was a difference maker for sure in the NFC CG xD

joking aside, i'd definitely not consider him a difference maker. would he been as good w/o Lattimore? dunno.

Fitzpatrick though, would be too sweet an addition to this Ravens secondary... man. one can only dream.

13 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Williams was a difference maker for sure in the NFC CG xD

joking aside, i'd definitely not consider him a difference maker. would he been as good w/o Lattimore? dunno.

Fitzpatrick though, would be too sweet an addition to this Ravens secondary... man. one can only dream.

What about the Ohio corner? I’ve watched some of Fitzpatrick, but none of him. How does he look/compare?

As long as it isn’t a outside linebacker Or Cornerback im cool with anything... I think a realistic bpa that at 16 could be ... With the Possibility of 5 QBs going top 15 then u factor in Barkley Chubb Minkah Edmunds Nelson Smith and Ward all being gone... I think realistically the only bpa that could fall to us is Derwin James... My ideal prospect would be Roquan Smith or Vita Vea but Smith is gonna be gone and D Tackles are a no go according to Steve... so it is what it is

I have to say that the thought of Rashaan Evans or Roquan Smith playing beside Mosley excites the heck out of me. I believe it would be the best ILB tandem in football automatically.

Derwin James obviously is another guy that stands out to me. Swiss army knife type of player that can ball and blew the lid off the combine too. 

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Denzel Ward are insane prospects and from everything I've seen, they look like can't miss prospects. 

Some later rounds defensive players I like is CB Holton Hill out of Texas. Obviously Shaquem Griffin. How can you not love the kids worth ethic and story? Having a guy like him in your locker room would be amazing. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Big character concern guy IIRC.

Yes, some issues. Was suspended 9 games and left Texas early to turn pro. Never revealed what the suspension was for, which is worrisome. You like to see someone take responsibility for whatever actions caused them to be disciplined. 

He's a big physical corner and carries himself with a swagger. I feel he's a guy who's worth a flyer in the 4th-5th round if he's still around. 

The more I look at it, the more I think Smith will be the pick. If Mosley is going to be the type of linebacker that he is now, a guy like Smith would be the perfect compliment. And since we have so many resources invested in having lineman that can take on blocks at a high level, a guy like Smith would be the perfect compliment to that.

If DJ Moore/Calvin Ridley/Courtland Sutton are on the board with Roquan Smith, I think it’s quite easy for me to think Smith will have the better grade and it’s easy for me to believe that he’s the greater impact player over all of those names. While receiver is the more sexy position, could we really justify passing up on an elite sideline to sideline defender? I don’t think we can.

Just like last year many teams drafted receivers earlier going for the likes of Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross; while the defenders that went after them look like they might turn into the elites at their position, I would rather lose out on solid WRs to gain an elite defender at an equal position of need.

I think Smith is a top 15 player, but he is not high on my Ravens board. As the guy in the video said, he has to rely too much on being completely free to roam. I bet there are several players with the same ceiling if they are allowed a position where they are free to roam.

Its like saying "this receiver has elite physical talent, as long as he is allowed to run free and defenders aren't in his face, he can do it all". So what he is, is a really talented receiver who can't fight off press coverage to save his life.

42 minutes ago, Danand said:

I think Smith is a top 15 player, but he is not high on my Ravens board. As the guy in the video said, he has to rely too much on being completely free to roam. I bet there are several players with the same ceiling if they are allowed a position where they are free to roam.

Its like saying "this receiver has elite physical talent, as long as he is allowed to run free and defenders aren't in his face, he can do it all". So what he is, is a really talented receiver who can't fight off press coverage to save his life.

You'd be hard pressed to find any college LB that doesn't have a problem with disengaging from blockers. This criticism of Roquan Smith is real in that he is undersized but overblown because it's really his only flaw and one he shares with every other LB in the class. He also is already incredibly adept at getting around and sifting through blockers, his instincts and feel for the game are incredible at such a young age.

We already have LBs who struggle with blockers and this far into their career, they don't have the same opportunity for growth a young player like Edmunds or Smith would in that department. An ascending player with plus instincts and range would be a huge upgrade.

Archived