Defensive prospects

diamondbull424

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I'm not sure any of Derwin James, Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edwards make it pick 16, even if 4 or 5 QBs get taken before us :(

Yup. Derwin isn't, I would bet money on that. Smith and/or Edmunds have a chance but it depends on what the runs are this year. I still think receiver gets pushed up and Ridley goes before 16 with Moore going somewhere in that area.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, coordinator0 said:

Yup. Derwin isn't, I would bet money on that. Smith and/or Edmunds have a chance but it depends on what the runs are this year. I still think receiver gets pushed up and Ridley goes before 16 with Moore going somewhere in that area.

Yeah, I think there is no way Derwin James falls to our pick. He’s too athletic, too prototypical, and too versatile all with plus intangibles to fall that far in this draft. Too many teams will find a reason to make use of his talents that he will have to win out. Especially considering his former secondary member went on to becoming one of the premier corners in the league. Worst case scenario I think he goes to Green Bay right before our pick.

While I can’t necessarily agree with the part about a run on wide receiver, I can see DJ Moore going as early as to the Redskins. They lost Ryan Grant who was really starting to come on for them to end the season. DJ Moore is a rich man’s Ryan Grant. I could easily see a coach like Jay Gruden coveting ways they could get Moore in space and utilizing him to create matchup problems for opposing teams.

That said, if there is a minor run on receivers, I could see it going Moore to the Redskins and Ridley going to the Cardinals.

In which case we will quite easily see a scenario where an elite defensive talent falls to our pick and we will have to make a serious decision. I could easily see a scenario where we could be choosing between Roquan Smith, Vita Vea, and/or Denzel Ward. I doubt all of them will fall, but I think it’s reasonable to believe that one will be guaranteed to be there, but if a receiver run happens two could be in the cards.

Smith makes the obvious sense, but if it’s between Ward and Vea, that could be a tough call. I think I need to watch more on both players. Without doing so, I’m probably leaning towards Ward though. He sounds like he could give us prime Lardarius Webb type of ability and that skill set would be well worthy of a first round pick.

Archived