(?) Players to Target in Trades Back into the 1st Round

Mind Character

I'd imagine if there is a guy there late that they like and won't be available at 33, I could see:

*Billy Price: He'd be an upgrade over Tretter. Don't know if he'll be available though. Bodine left Cinci (he was terrible) and they could probably draft him

*A starting LT prospect: Admittedly I don't know enough about the guys available

*An elite prospect that "falls" for whatever reason

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You probably need to add Marcus Davenport and Isaiah Oliver 

I really like Oliver. He reminds me of jimmy smith, who coincidentally went to Colorado.

heard a lot of negativity surrounding his tape recently. He’ll probably be there at 33.

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You probably need to add Marcus Davenport and Isaiah Oliver 

Give me your takes on them because they are 2 prospects that I go back and forth on in my mind between they would be worth a selection in terms of their upside, but both have deficiencies I'm struggling to get over.

With Davenport, I've watched all but 3 of his games, and his motor doesn't run consistently hot, he plays with no leverage, his hand positioning/technique is elementary, and he doesnt' have a natural feel for setting the edge or being able to see the run with his eyes.

When he's on, he goes all out with reckless abandon and uses the length he has to devastating effects. I don't know if I believe in him as a top 20 prospect, but I guess I'd be okay with taking him at the bottom of the 1st.

Oliver is big and has length, but I see him get beat too often and he really struggles to flip his hips and recover. He also has really bad instincts to identify when the ball is in the air and panics some and gets disoriented easily on deep routes.

When he's on, he's smooth and disrupts routes at the line.

I just can't foresee myself liking Davenport or Oliver over the likes of Da'Ron Payne, Taven Bryan, DJ Moore, or Courtland Sutton...I'm more certain that they will achieve impact player status.

....but I'd love to be convinced.

Given the availability, I'd go Jaire Alexander or Carlton Davis (as long as our staff passes him on the off the field committment issues) instead of Oliver.

I am not sure that many WRs in this class are going in the first round.  Outside of Ridley I could see any number of them tumbling into round two. I would not trade up to get any of them as I think you could get productive guys like Simmie Cobbs, Deon Cain, Michael Gallup, Equanimeous St, Brown & Christian Kirk in rounds 2-3 without having to trade up. While I get trading up to get a 5th year on the rookie deal, I am not sure many of the WRs are worth it in this class.

On the other hand I think you will see multiple CBs get drafted in round 1 including Denzel Ward, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes, Isaiah Oliver and Jaire Alexander and maybe even somebody like Donte Jackson. I would be okay moving back into round 1 for any of the above listed CBs, although obviously Ward will be gone fairly early. A big advantage of course is if the run on QBs happens as expected more of these guys will be available later in the round or if not that means some other good prospect has slipped at a different position that could fill a need and be our BPA.

30 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

With Davenport, I've watched all but 3 of his games, and his motor doesn't run consistently hot, he plays with no leverage, his hand positioning/technique is elementary, and he doesnt' have a natural feel for setting the edge or being able to see the run with his eyes.

When he's on, he goes all out with reckless abandon and uses the length he has to devastating effects. I don't know if I believe in him as a top 20 prospect, but I guess I'd be okay with taking him at the bottom of the 1st.

Oliver is big and has length, but I see him get beat too often and he really struggles to flip his hips and recover. He also has really bad instincts to identify when the ball is in the air and panics some and gets disoriented easily on deep routes.

When he's on, he's smooth and disrupts routes at the line.

I am in lockstep with you on Davenport, as a matter of fact, I was one of the first few to point out his deficiencies when he was the flavor of the month.I also took a little bit more time on him and realized that he has enormous potential, He basically is a raw piece of high quality clay. Also he played for UTSA, they probably don't have the best coaches in the world, he could have been out there winging it with no real high level coaching.  I asked myself, what if he played for a DL coach like Larry Johnson Sr, or Craig Kuligowski how much better he would have been? I basically charge a lot of his deficiencies with the level of coaching he received there at UTSA, plus also remember what everyone said after the Senior Bowl, the said Davenport took the biggest leap from the week. 

As far as Oliver, if I remember, there has been a lot guy who have deficiencies or hitches in their game, the Browns have been interested in him and of we select him we basically see his deficiencies as correctable and think he still has upside. Bottom line, our coaches have their hands full correcting some of the bad habits and technique 

I'd be good with Alexander or Davis the same, especially if we dip into the 2nd and get one of them, the only thing I really don't care for with Davis is his ball skills

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Could be be there closer to 64? I can see with his combine and nagging injury that he could fall past possibly all of Barkley, Guice, Chubb, Penny and maybe even someone else like Freeman. I like Rojo a lot too, but he's lucky and has an injury. I could see him falling a bit, though maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I think it’s plausible. Like you say, strength of the class and those injury issues. Also not the biggest guy.

I want Taven Bryan in a trade up from 33. He’s mini JJ.

I'd trade back into the first (Mid to late 20's) for:

WRs - DJ Moore, Sutton, Ridley? If by a small miracle they are there. 

DTs - Payne

DEs - Davenport Again unlikely he is there. 

OT - McGlinchey I'd leap frog Pats for our #33 and a 5th to trade with Jags or Viks. This would be just to mess with them for the grap stuff they pulled. 

For CBs - I honestly think there is no real difference between any of them when you get passed the top 3. They are all comparable and many of them will be there in the 2nd. 

For RBs - Assuming we don't pick Barkley, none of them really stand out as trade up for them worthy. We can get a similarly talented back with #64 as we could with #25 through #30. 

For QBs - if we haven't taken Darnold #1 overall and are looking to trade up for a QB then I'll be pretty upset. 

For TEs - No need

For Safety - See CBs 

For LBs - Again no need / no gonna have em type players. 

OG/Cs - Past Nelson they are all late 2nd to mid round pick worthy. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I asked myself, what if he played for a DL coach like Larry Johnson Sr, or Craig Kuligowski how much better he would have been? I basically charge a lot of his deficiencies with the level of coaching he received there at UTSA, plus also remember what everyone said after the Senior Bowl, the said Davenport took the biggest leap from the week. 

Good points...this is just always something I struggle with, especially  when evaluating Defensive Tackle talent. it's actually one of the hardest positions to project in my mind when watching raw talents because it's so hard to know if a prospect has the natural biomechanical coordination ability to take what's learned from teaching to the field.

There's a lot of great coaches that give excellent training to raw DEs or DTs, but those players can't translate it onto the field and are robotic/mechanical instead of free flowing with their hands, power, and speed.

Pass rushing and even run stopping is truly a hand to hand combat art form like a martial art form.

My skepticism is mostly based on being burned by the raw piece of clay DE talent that never translates good training to movements on the field.

Larry Johnson Sr. coaches hip torque and explosion and drills hand techniques until it becomes second nature.

Craig Kuligowski does a great job creating a combat mentality in the defensive line.

Davenport is the hardest prospect to evaluate in the draft to me....some days I say top 15 talent...other days I say a top 50 player at best.

John Dorsey's selection of Tanoh Kpassagnon let's me know he  probably likes Davenport a lot.

Only player we need to trade up for is McGlinchey IMO. To me he is the best LT. Nothing better than getting your franchise QB and franchise LT in the same draft. 

God its so weird talking about having to draft a LT

14 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Only player we need to trade up for is McGlinchey IMO. To me he is the best LT. Nothing better than getting your franchise QB and franchise LT in the same draft. 

God its so weird talking about having to draft a LT

I know it’s slightly terrifying 

Archived