Breshad Perriman: Can he be a productive WR or should he just be cut?

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

EFA.

If his play warrants it and there are no better options to improve the roster, then he can play out his contract.  If there are better options however, it just comes down to a cost-benefit analysis of whether he should be cut, or someone else

Isn't that the essentially the second part of my statement you left out of the quote? :P

10 hours ago, drd23 said:

FYI your tip scenario doesn't make as much sense to us non-Americans as our wait staff get paid a semi-decent wage, and we therefore don't have the same sort of tipping culture to subsidise their pay ;)

The same, and I am pretty happy about that. The standard 10% tip in great britain is obnoxius.

I’m pessimistic about Perriman. But I don’t think it’s impossible he could at least grow into a Ted Ginn type role. There are players like him who aren’t that skilled who can impact the game on speed alone 

I think if he’s one of the 6 best WRs on the team after camp he should make the team. If he’s isn’t, he shouldn’t 

I’m in no way trying to blame Perriman’s deficiencies on the coaching staff but he is clearly not a player who we (at the moment) can rely on to read coverages, run the right routes and win contested catches - but should the coaching staff have been more role-specific with his playing time? 

As Ted Ginn, his physical skill set is undeniable - why not tailor his snaps to 90% go routes, post routes etc..? 

It the same story with players like Tony Jefferson and Tyus Bowser - their skill set is amazing but due to ‘our system’ they are not put in optimal position to succeed.

9 minutes ago, Rein said:

I’m in no way trying to blame Perriman’s deficiencies on the coaching staff but he is clearly not a player who we (at the moment) can rely on to read coverages, run the right routes and win contested catches - but should the coaching staff have been more role-specific with his playing time? 

As Ted Ginn, his physical skill set is undeniable - why not tailor his snaps to 90% go routes, post routes etc..? 

It the same story with players like Tony Jefferson and Tyus Bowser - their skill set is amazing but due to ‘our system’ they are not put in optimal position to succeed.

Without derailing this thread, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will get better with a new DC.  Upon the change, Harbaugh talked about being "more aggressive," which has seemed to be his go-to for calling out Pees.  What I mean by that is that he isn't one to publicly call out his assistants (his loyalty to his guys has been well documented here), but late game defensive failures that are associated with coaching head scratchers have often led to him lamenting our defense losing its aggressive nature late in the game (re: coaching).  Maybe I'm trying to read too much into it, but that specific wording makes me think we're going to see something very different with our new DC.  Also, a guy named Wink has to be a complete wildcard.

19 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Without derailing this thread, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will get better with a new DC.  Upon the change, Harbaugh talked about being "more aggressive," which has seemed to be his go-to for calling out Pees.  What I mean by that is that he isn't one to publicly call out his assistants (his loyalty to his guys has been well documented here), but late game defensive failures that are associated with coaching head scratchers have often led to him lamenting our defense losing its aggressive nature late in the game (re: coaching).  Maybe I'm trying to read too much into it, but that specific wording makes me think we're going to see something very different with our new DC.  Also, a guy named Wink has to be a complete wildcard.

At the same time how many times has Harbaugh said something about the team needing to do this or that and nothing ever ends up changing? Many times. At this point it's obvious that John isn't involved in the offensive or defensive scheming... or if he is that's not good either. We can only hope Martindale is competent all on his own. 

Just now, coordinator0 said:

At the same time how many times has Harbaugh said something about the team needing to do this or that and nothing ever ends up changing? Many times. At this point it's obvious that John isn't involved in the offensive or defensive scheming... or if he is that's not good either. We can only hope Martindale is competent all on his own. 

That's certainly fair, but IMO that's sort of a nihilist approach to the whole thing and why discuss anything here at all then?  I certainly get what you're saying and have some of those same fears as well.  That said, it just seemed to reiterate or call-back to very similar language of when he was clearly not happy with the way things went under Pees.  I'm just saying that I'm cautiously optimistic that it's indicative of him tapping someone to lead the defense in a different manner, that's all.

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I agree, but there is a precedent for a belief that change can occur. After years of Mattison, Harbaugh said he wanted something more aggressive and we went with Chuck Pagano as a more aggressive coordinator.

The only problem there was, like any of the Ravens successful defensive coordinators, he was signed away (and after only one season.)

So while I don’t have MUCH hope either about defensive change given Wink Martindale’s track record and the more likely scernario that Harbaugh will give us more of the same, I do have some hope. If only just a little.

Archived