JPP traded to Tampa

WizardHawk

31 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

@bzane makes a nice point about speed around the edge. The talk is all about JPP's hand, but what has really hurt him has been his lack of burst and speed. He just doesn't turn the corner now like he used to. I haven't seen it in a couple years. He is still one of the best DEs in the league against the run, but his pass rush has been gone for a while now. TB would be better off bumping him inside on pass downs, taking out Allen and pairing him with McCoy. Then have Spence rush from the edge. 

Even successful speed rushers need to use their hands.  If you can rip the tackle down when you're coming around, it makes it that much easier. He can only do that with one hand which is a massive disadvantage. 

2 hours ago, bzane said:

Jason Pierre-Paul was a wonderful player for the Giants at his best, especially, as noted in their unlikely Super Bowl run of 2011. 

And he'll be a nice addition to a 4-3 in Tampa. But the hard truth is that he was not close to the same player these last couple of years after his hand injury; the Giants, frankly, did not have enough speed coming off the edges to get sacks. They provided pressure, but there wasn't either the great first step not the closing speed from their DE's. And there wasn't much chance the JPP, "The Adrien Robinson of DE's", was ever going to regain past glories. Further, as noted, he would not have been a good fit in Bettcher's 3-4. Hence the trade. A good business decision, but it's a little sad- the guy was such a beast in his best years, and arguably the biggest reason why the Giants won the Super Bowl in his second year. Would have been nice to see him finish out his career in New York after his brave comeback from his accident, wearing that oven mitt. No matter how foolish the accident was in the first place.

So long, JPP, and good luck in Tampa!

Image result for Jason Pierre Paul

Nick Foles is turning that poor man with his hands up into a mummy!

That should be a 4 game suspension!!!

Definitely should help the Bucs get some more pressure.  A lot of dead cap for the Giants to swallow for essentially just a 3rd.  But it's also still a pretty significant savings...if you can replace the production for a reasonable price (or with say...a rookie).

41 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Definitely should help the Bucs get some more pressure.  A lot of dead cap for the Giants to swallow for essentially just a 3rd.  But it's also still a pretty significant savings...if you can replace the production for a reasonable price (or with say...a rookie).

They had to absorb that cost though no matter what.  Can’t roll that back.  Now they cleared 30M (27M next 2 years) if money on top of the dead money they can’t get back.  And 17.5M of that would have been hard to justify with a cut.  That 3rd is also the 69th overall pick.  They only had 5 picks before this trade.   In the Giants shoes I’d have been happy with a top 100 pick.    

So really they made lemonade out of lemons here.  

I was really hoping that shaq Griffen would end up a buccaneer or a raider because the thought of a one handed pirate tickled me shivers. The thought of TWO one handed pirates on deck really gets the juices flowing. 

I like what Tampa has done. I was happy when they gave koetter another shot. They certainly have weapons on offense and could add to the list of dangerous NFC teams this year if they are able to take a step forward. There were a couple games they lost last year that they had no business losing. 

Now if they could only find a kicker who didn't have a wooden pegleg...

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

They had to absorb that cost though no matter what.  Can’t roll that back.  Now they cleared 30M (27M next 2 years) if money on top of the dead money they can’t get back.  And 17.5M of that would have been hard to justify with a cut.  That 3rd is also the 69th overall pick.  They only had 5 picks before this trade.   In the Giants shoes I’d have been happy with a top 100 pick.    

So really they made lemonade out of lemons here.  

Yeah.  It's one of those deals that probably makes sense for both sides.  Just that JPP is still a decent player, and they do need to replace him.  While also taking on that dead money.  Makes sense though.

Archived