(Poll) Chubb to the Giants, Should We Trade OR Take Saquon, Minkah, or Ward?

Mind Character

If Giants Go Chubb at 2, What Option Should We Go With?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If Giants Go Chubb at 2, What Option Should We Go With?

• Trade Down and Target Denzel Ward (Might have to give up some captial gained in the trade down to get him) ------------------------------------------
    • Take SS Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4; Don't trade down
    • Trade Down and Target CB Mike Hughes
    • Trade Down and Target DE Marcus Davenport
    • Take RB Saquon Barkley at 4; Don't trade down

IMO, Bradley Chubb was the prized non-QB prospect in the draft.

If he's not there at 4, I think we should trade down and take the BEST CB in the DRAFT which in my mind is Mike Hughes CB UCF.

As I've always said, Minkah Fitzpatrick is a SS and doesn't smoothly fit into our roster at the moment.

Saquon Barkley as a RB should not be the choice at 4 given the depth of the RB talent pool and the opportunity cost of taking him at 4 relative to what we could get by trading down with a QB needy team.

If the Giants did something stupid like take Chubb at 2 instead of a QB or trading down, I think our best solution would be to trade down with whoever the QB desperate team is for the 3rd QB available in the draft.

Our target should then be: 1. Denzel Ward and 2. Mike Hughes after a trade down in which we get a King's ransom.

-----------------------------

Even before the JPP trade, Giants fans believed Gettleman wanted Chubb mostly because they believe in Eli as a QB that can give them a few more years.

With the Giants trading Away JPP, Giants fans and sports talk media believe they are going Chubb at 2.

With JPP in the fold along with what I was hearing, I firmly believed there was no way the Giants would pass on a QB.

The Giants could be targeting Marcus Davenport in a trade back scenario from 2 with a QB needy team, but the chances may be higher now that they entertain the idea to take Chubb.

Tough to really say without seeing what the trade offer is. For me it would have to be either sliding back only 1 or 2 slots, or if we move back past 7, an insanely huge haul with pieces that gets us in position to still take impact players This year. (Ward being my preference). I believe we need to push the aircraft carrier out of dry dock and start steaming out of port and meaningfully compete this year.

That being said, still leaning towards taking Barkley if he's there at 4. Landing the QBOTF and #1 overall prospect (positional value be darned) would generate tremendous excitement throughout the organization, league, and fanbase.

Trading down and taking Hughes seems like bad value for having originally held the 4th pick. If he’s a guy you like a lot, he seems more like one you can move up for with some of those other picks to grab in the mid 1st. We have lots of picks to utilize. I still like Ward better though. 

Why would the New York Giants take Chubb when they are moving to a 3-4? Chubb seems like a prototype for 3 defensive end at 6 for 270 lb give or take. I can't see any way they take him, especially with all the trade down offers they are likely receiving if they are indeed not taking a quarterback. That said, what a bizarre NFL world we are living in when the New York Giants don't think they need to draft a quarterback at pick 2 in a very quality passer class. Eli Manning has not looked especially good in at least three seasons and is nearing 40. I just... I just can't.

11 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Why would the New York Giants take Chubb when they are moving to a 3-4? Chubb seems like a prototype for 3 defensive end at 6 for 270 lb give or take. I can't see any way they take him, especially with all the trade down offers they are likely receiving if they are indeed not taking a quarterback. That said, what a bizarre NFL world we are living in when the New York Giants don't think they need to draft a quarterback at pick 2 in a very quality passer class. Eli Manning has not looked especially good in at least three seasons and is nearing 40. I just... I just can't.

Nothing the Giants are doing right now makes any sense. They are switching to a 34 defense but traded for an undersized speedy linebacker who was being traded because he didn't fit his teams new 34 scheme. They then give away Jason Pierre Paul who would actually make a good 34 DE in the mold of Calais Campbell. They seem to believe Eli Manning is going to go into full Tom Brady Mode. Their offensive tackles were straight up garbage so the team decided they want to replace all 5 guys and let a quality starting OC and OG walk in free agency and sign a 30 yo OT to a mega deal. If you want to rebuild the Oline you go younger. If you want to improve the situation you add to the pile. They are complete disaster right now IMO and that before Odell's pot movie.

I'm personally of the belief that the NY Giants trading JPP doesn't alter what they do at #2 and guarantee them Chubb. They obviously wanted to dump salary and he wasn't a good fit in the 3-4.

They could still go Rosen/QB at #2 and try to get a solid 3-4 guy in the 2nd (Hubbard for example if you like his fit there).

I'm going with Ward. Barkley would be very nice but like you said, this is a RB heavy draft and Dorsey has shown he can draft a RB in the 2nd-3rd rounds. If Chubb is not available then Ward becomes one of the best defensive players and it is big position of need. Maybe we get a team that wants Barkley or Nelson and can move back in the late top 10 like 7 through 9?   At 4 you would have to figure that 2 remaining QBs would go, barkley and Nelson. If we are sitting at 7 or 8 then Ward or Fitz is available to us. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Ward would be fine, even Davenport would be fine @4 if the FO and coaches see impact potential in him.  If a guys worth it at 7 ,8, 9 or 10,  he's worth it at  4 so long as he pans out.   Frankly a guy I think could be a sleeper for us at #4 is Derwin James - I just get a Jaylen Ramsey feel watching him and he's an impact in the secondary.  With Darnold tucked away at 1, we have options - get a RB in round two but save #4 for an impact defensive player.  

Archived