Best and Worst Drafts of the last 20 years

Out of curiosity, was looking at our old draft classes and trying to see the hits vs. misses and got to thinking which was the most productive vs. which was the worst. 

Best:

2000 wasn't the deepest, but was headlined by Samuels and Arrington. 1999 was also in consideration and was another top heavy but solid one with Jansen and Bailey as the top picks.

Worst:

Hard not to go 2008 as the worst. We came in with big needs on the DL as well as WR. After a trade down in the first, which netter us extra second round picks, we made a complete mess of our evaluations and came up with little value. We took Devin Thomas over @e16bball favorite Jordy Nelson, turned around and took Sleepy Fred Davis (while having Cooley still on the roster) over my boy Calais Campbell or future Redskins Desean Jackson, and then finished up with Malcolm Kelly.

Hindsight is always 20/20 in drafting, but I think in this case, the guys we missed were all guys who were seen as top targets are here and were at positions of need. 

Draft classes can be found here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_draft_history

Without looking into detail, 2008 was easily the first to come to mind. Vinny Cerrato at his peak. Missing out on Calais Campbell is the what really grinds my gears. Chad Reinhart in the 3rd was an absolute joke as well. The more and more I look at this draft and the players we missed out, the more angry I get. PUKE!

19 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Out of curiosity, was looking at our old draft classes and trying to see the hits vs. misses and got to thinking which was the most productive vs. which was the worst. 

Best:

2000 wasn't the deepest, but was headlined by Samuels and Arrington. 1999 was also in consideration and was another top heavy but solid one with Jansen and Bailey as the top picks.

Worst:

Hard not to go 2008 as the worst. We came in with big needs on the DL as well as WR. After a trade down in the first, which netter us extra second round picks, we made a complete mess of our evaluations and came up with little value. We took Devin Thomas over @e16bball favorite Jordy Nelson, turned around and took Sleepy Fred Davis (while having Cooley still on the roster) over my boy Calais Campbell or future Redskins Desean Jackson, and then finished up with Malcolm Kelly.

Hindsight is always 20/20 in drafting, but I think in this case, the guys we missed were all guys who were seen as top targets are here and were at positions of need. 

Draft classes can be found here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_draft_history

I was a big Devin Thomas fan, he was a beast at Michigan St.  I’m still shocked he was a bust. He had all the talent, just had different interests which I knew boring about on/before draft day. Apparently he was interested in being a male model and a football player on the side.

Most of us in that 08 draft didn’t want to draft Fred Davis or Malcolm Kelley. We definitely could have came out of that draft with Nelson/DJax and Calias Campbell. I was also a huge Calais Campbell fan as well. We needed to draft a young DE to develop that year because Phillip Daniels wasn’t getting younger. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I was a big Devin Thomas fan, he was a beast at Michigan St.  I’m still shocked he was a bust. He had all the talent, just had different interests which I knew boring about on/before draft day. Apparently he was interested in being a male model and a football player on the side.

Most of us in that 08 draft didn’t want to draft Fred Davis or Malcolm Kelley. We definitely could have came out of that draft with Nelson/DJax and Calias Campbell. I was also a huge Calais Campbell fan as well. We needed to draft a young DE to develop that year because Phillip Daniels wasn’t getting younger. 

Then we turned around and blew a supplemental pick on Jarmon in the supplemental draft when Calais was the perfect fit for that role.

Worst

Round Pick Overall Name Position College
2 3 34 Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
2 17 48 Fred Davis TE Southern California
2 20 51 Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
3 33 96 Chad Rinehart G Northern Iowa
4 25 124 Justin Tryon CB Arizona State
6 2 168 Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech
6 14 180 Kareem Moore S Nicholls State
6 20 186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii
7 35 242 Rob Jackson DE Kansas State
7 42 249 Chris Horton S UCLA

This one's already been covered, but dear god.....

1 2 2 Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
3 8 71 Josh LeRibeus OG Southern Methodist
4 7 102 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State
4 24 119 Keenan Robinson LB Texas
5 6 141 Adam Gettis OG Iowa
6 3 173 Alfred Morris RB Florida Atlantic
6 23 193 Tom Compton OT South Dakota
7 6 213 Richard Crawford CB Southern Methodist
7 10 217 Jordan Bernstine S Iowa

If you're going to trade 3 firsts and a 2nd for 1 player you can't miss, and RG3 was a huge miss for the Redskins.  Its arguably the worst draft trade in NFL History.  

The only two saving graces of this draft were QB Kirk Cousins in the 4th and HB Alfred Morris in the 6th.  However, 6 years later and not a single player from this draft is on our current roster.  

BEST

1 5 5 Sean Taylor S Miami (FL)
3 18 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State
5 19 151 Mark Wilson OT California
6 15 180 Jim Molinaro OT Notre Dame

We had 4 picks and landed two pro bowlers.  

10 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Then we turned around and blew a supplemental pick on Jarmon in the supplemental draft when Calais was the perfect fit for that role.

Yeah, another one I wanted who didn’t work out. I think tearing his ACL really set  back his development as a rookie late in 09 just like Jarvis Jenkins was set back when he tore his as a rookie. 

Then, we switched schemes from 4-3 or 3-4 and they couldn’t decide what to do with Jarmon in 2010. They first were going to have him play 3-4 DE but then decided to try him as 3-4 OLB during training camp and asked him to lose 10-20 pounds.

Their decision to do that was stupid and a mess. I thought it was better to keep Jarmon at 3-4 DE and develop him there. He was a 286 pound strong side DE it didn’t make sense to try him at 3-4 OLB.  If he had weighed 270 then sure, put him at OLB, but not at 286 pounds.

I'll put this one up for debate:

2014 Draft

2 15 47 Trent Murphy LB Stanford
3 2 66 Morgan Moses OT Virginia
3 14 78 Spencer Long G Nebraska
4 2 102 Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson
5 2 142 Ryan Grant WR Tulane
6 10 186 Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor
7 2 217 Ted Bolser TE Indiana
7 13 228 Zach Hocker K Arkansas

If only one of your picks earns a second contract after his rookie deal is that a successful draft?  I would argue no.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Worst

2 3 34 Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
2 17 48 Fred Davis TE Southern California
2 20 51 Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
3 33 96 Chad Rinehart G Northern Iowa
4 25 124 Justin Tryon CB Arizona State
6 2 168 Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech
6 14 180 Kareem Moore S Nicholls State
6 20 186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii
7 35 242 Rob Jackson DE Kansas State
7 42 249 Chris Horton S UCLA

This one's already been covered, but dear god.....

1 2 2 Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
3 8 71 Josh LeRibeus OG Southern Methodist
4 7 102 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State
4 24 119 Keenan Robinson LB Texas
5 6 141 Adam Gettis OG Iowa
6 3 173 Alfred Morris RB Florida Atlantic
6 23 193 Tom Compton OT South Dakota
7 6 213 Richard Crawford CB Southern Methodist
7 10 217 Jordan Bernstine S Iowa

If you're going to trade 3 firsts and a 2nd for 1 player you can't miss, and RG3 was a huge miss for the Redskins.  Its arguably the worst draft trade in NFL History.  

The only two saving graces of this draft were QB Kirk Cousins in the 4th and HB Alfred Morris in the 6th.  However, 6 years later and not a single player from this draft is on our current roster.  

BEST

1 5 5 Sean Taylor S Miami (FL)
3 18 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State
5 19 151 Mark Wilson OT California
6 15 180 Jim Molinaro OT Notre Dame

We had 4 picks and landed two pro bowlers.  

2013 was a disaster because RG3 didn’t work out and Leribus was the dumbest pick ever. You’re right, Cousins and Morris saved that draft class - two players who should be here still - Keenan Robinson battled two torn pecs in 2012 & 13 but developed into a starter in 2014 & 15. Frankly, he should have been retained and should have been starting over Will Compton in 2016 and should still be on our team now at worst as our dime ILB. Tom Compton and Crawford were serviceable reserves, it’s a shame that Crawford tore his ACL & MCL and didn’t make another NFL roster. He had some huge punt returns for us in 2012.

Reinhart wasn’t a bad pick in 08, he just didn’t fit the ZBS, so when Shanahan came in he was cut. He went on to be a starter at RG for Buffalo and San Diego for a handful of years I think. We also actually got something out of our 7th round picks in 08 which was a total shocker! Horton was a defensive weekly player of the year once and a good SS but he struggled in coverage and Rob Jackson had his moments in 2011 & 2012. We probably don’t make the playoffs in 2012 w/o his int on Romo in week 17.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll put this one up for debate:

2014 Draft

2 15 47 Trent Murphy LB Stanford
3 2 66 Morgan Moses OT Virginia
3 14 78 Spencer Long G Nebraska
4 2 102 Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson
5 2 142 Ryan Grant WR Tulane
6 10 186 Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor
7 2 217 Ted Bolser TE Indiana
7 13 228 Zach Hocker K Arkansas

If only one of your picks earns a second contract after his rookie deal is that a successful draft?  I would argue no.

They earned second contracts though, just not in DC. Other teams liked our 2014 picks and their development under Gruden and company so much that they signed them away from us on higher deals than we wanted to pay them.

- Long, 4 yr $28M deal

- Grant at first a 4 year $29M deal - which the Ravens made up an ankle injury on to fail him on his physical so that could get MiChael Crabtree.

- Trent Murphy 3 years, $22.5M deal.

- Breeland was signed away but cut his foot and the deal was voided. He’s supposed to be our for a while, so we’ll see where he ends up in a few months.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

hey earned second contracts though, just not in DC.

That doesn't help the Redskins though, except for a few meager comp picks. 

I think it can be easily argued 2014 was a failure.  1 playoff appearance in that time, no playoff wins, and 1 player remaining on the team 4 years later.  That's a pretty awful return from a draft class.  

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Anyone remember why we didn’t have a 2nd, 4th and 7th in 04? I think we traded up for Cooley which probably explains why  we didn’t have a 4th. I can’t femem why we didn’t have a 2nd.

I didn't start following the draft until 2005, but I assume the 2nd was traded for Clinton Portis.  2004 was the year Gibbs returned. 

Archived