Dolphins sign Frank Gore

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

So he's going to continue to worm his way up that all time rushing yards list a couple yards at a time, until he hits mandatory retirement age of 65?

He’ll retire first citing family issues.  Wanting to spend more time with his grandkids.  

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Nah he's done. He has the vision like he's always had, but no burst as previously mentioned. Whatever speed he had is also gone, and has been for a few years now.

Hey don't assume ! He gonna surprise you watch . Than you can eat his shoes !.

I'm starting to get the feeling Gore wasn't smart with his money and is in a position where he HAS to play. He was rapidly declining three years ago, and he should have retired back then. 

But yet, he's still here. Either he's playing because he needs the money and has no other skills to rely on to make money, or he REALLY loves the game.

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling Gore wasn't smart with his money and is in a position where he HAS to play. He was rapidly declining three years ago, and he should have retired back then. 

But yet, he's still here. Either he's playing because he needs the money and has no other skills to rely on to make money, or he REALLY loves the game.

Serious Q - how intelligent is Gore?  Does he speak well at interviews?

Reason why I ask - if he's decent in those regards, he'd have a future as a coach, or even a media guy.    Now, he wouldn't make as much money as 1M initially - but he'd keep making it for years on end.   Given that, I have to think it's the latter - some guys have no other identity than playing.  They have the hardest adjustment to life after football.

Now, if he's not that bright, then it also increases the chances he needs the $, too.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He was decent last year I thought. And the Colts couldn't run the ball to save their lives with anyone back there. I hate this signing for the Dolphins, but not necessarily because Gore is done. He's got 1-2 more years of being a productive RB.

I think its moreso to just save his brain and whatnot. He wasn't terrible but he should stop

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Reason why I ask - if he's decent in those regards, he'd have a future as a coach, or even a media guy.    Now, he wouldn't make as much money as 1M initially - but he'd keep making it for years on end.   Given that, I have to think it's the latter - some guys have no other identity than playing.  They have the hardest adjustment to life after football.

Now, if he's not that bright, then it also increases the chances he needs the $, too.

I can't answer, but I also can't recall ever hearing from the guy. 

I'd imagine that the studio gigs could pay well, but you've got to have a certain level of charisma to go with that, and you usually ID that guy early on. Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Tony Romo - those guys were charismatic interviewees as players, so the transition was pretty seamless from field to booth or studio. Not recalling Gore as a good interview isn't a good sign that he's got the chutzpah to do such a job. 

EDIT - I'm going to say no based off of this, but I'm also going to say he can't be WORSE than LaDanian Tomlinson based off of this:

11 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I can't answer, but I also can't recall ever hearing from the guy. 

I'd imagine that the studio gigs could pay well, but you've got to have a certain level of charisma to go with that, and you usually ID that guy early on. Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Tony Romo - those guys were charismatic interviewees as players, so the transition was pretty seamless from field to booth or studio. Not recalling Gore as a good interview isn't a good sign that he's got the chutzpah to do such a job. 

EDIT - I'm going to say no based off of this, but I'm also going to say he can't be WORSE than LaDanian Tomlinson based off of this:

Yeah...we can scratch that media option for career planning then lol.  As long as he could get his point across he’d have the skills to make a decent RB coach - patience, vision, setting up blocks, ability to get tinier to get through creases...they are what have kept him in the game while his physical skills have eroded.   And those are where RB coaches can make a difference.  He  could carve a future coaching role...but yeah, not media.  

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't think Gore in my impressions, is a guy built for that studio life or anything.

But the guy is pushing into the Top-5 all time NFL rushers.  Absolutely zero doubts he'd find a reasonably lucrative job somewhere as a RBs coach to live more than comfortably if he wanted it.  Unless his brain is complete jelly or something.  Maybe not million dollar jobs...but more than enough to get by comfortably.  So unless he's dug himself into some extremely serious financial trouble over the course of a very long and productive career...idk.  Certainly does seem like a guy who just really loves to play the game...and/or really wants to move up another rung on that all time rushers list.

I mean...even if he basically does jack squat this year...a couple hundred yards or whatever it is, and he's not just "top-5 all time"...he's a lock for "4th all time", which gives his legacy a cushion.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Absolutely zero doubts he'd find a reasonably lucrative job somewhere as a RBs coach to live more than comfortably if he wanted it. 

I guess I'd have to define "reasonably lucrative". There are just some people who establish a quality of life that is so lavish, a 50% pay cut (which would probably be an under-estimation of the drop from player to position coach) would be a tough sell. 

NFL players going bankrupt is a serious issue. I hope I'm wrong on this, but you have to think it's playing a part.

4 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I guess I'd have to define "reasonably lucrative". There are just some people who establish a quality of life that is so lavish, a 50% pay cut (which would probably be an under-estimation of the drop from player to position coach) would be a tough sell. 

NFL players going bankrupt is a serious issue. I hope I'm wrong on this, but you have to think it's playing a part.

Yeah.  Absolutely.  A lot of players just aren't prepared for the reality of how short a career can be...or how quickly insane NFL player money can run out if it's not handled wisely.

It's hard to see with Gore though, given the length of his career.  Unless there's been some serious financial mismanagement along the way.  And he seems like a guy who would be pretty happy just being around the game as a position coach, once he can no longer do it himself.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's hard to see with Gore though, given the length of his career.  Unless there's been some serious financial mismanagement along the way.  And he seems like a guy who would be pretty happy just being around the game as a position coach, once he can no longer do it himself.

I don't know - maybe it's me, but I get a Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis or Charlie Batch feeling when I hear Gore is still puttering around despite not being nearly the same guy he was a while ago.

Brunell was gross (even negligent) mismanagement of money, Batch was personal irresponsibility, Portis was a combination of both, but the end result is the same - dudes were straight broke.

I really hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I don't know - maybe it's me, but I get a Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis or Charlie Batch feeling when I hear Gore is still puttering around despite not being nearly the same guy he was a while ago.

Brunell was gross (even negligent) mismanagement of money, Batch was personal irresponsibility, Portis was a combination of both, but the end result is the same - dudes were straight broke.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Yeah.  I really don't know.

I'd hate for that to be the legacy that follows a guy like Gore...but it is always possible.

Though it's also extremely hard to feel super sympathetic for guys who manage to blow more money than i'll ever see in my lifetime.

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Though it's also extremely hard to feel super sympathetic for guys who manage to blow more money than i'll ever see in my lifetime.

I agree - but I would highly suggest watching "30 for 30: Broke". Based on the data collected, roughly 70% of NFL players declare bankruptcy within three years of retirement. It's truly an epidemic.

In many cases, you're right - a fool and his money are soon parted and whatnot. But in some instances, guys are duped by the people they trust to make the right decisions for them in respect to their money. One of the guys (Bart Scott, I think - really successful with his money post playing days based on this documentary) said "The real crooks aren't the hustlers in your entourage, it's the guys in suits and ties talking about investments...")

I'd also suggest reading New Money: Staying Rich by Phillip Buchanon (former Raiders/Texans CB, nearly went broke but is reinventing himself as a tech guru). He outlines the people who are commonly responsible for bankrupting an athlete - family. His own mother was the reason he nearly had to declare bankruptcy, basically guilting him into millions of dollars she'd essentially throw away. He basically had to cut her off to recover.

For all intents and purposes, I'm like you - generally apathetic to someone who makes more money in a week then I do in 2/3 years. But there are some really sad stories out there...

Archived