Jump to content
Outpost31

Is it harder for the Packers to sign free agents than it is for other teams?

Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?  

60 members have voted

  1. 1. Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?



Recommended Posts

I still don't understand why Tennessee isn't where they all want to go.  Nashville has stuff to do.  There is no income tax in Tennessee.  The cost of living is one of the lowest in the nation.  But if I am being honest, I doubt that income tax is that much of a factor.  Only California currently charges higher than 10% and there are all kinds of local taxes on different things.  For example, if I make 1 million playing for the Bears, I pay less state income tax than I would if I played for the Chiefs.  But Kansas City is a much cheaper city to live in/near.  Illinois has a flat 3.75% income tax, Missouri has a 6% income tax (I pay taxes in both of these states, so I kind of know what I am talking about).  But we know that everything else in Chicago will cost more money than KC.  In the end, you are probably equal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It has pretty much been confirmed over and over again that we try to recruit FAs to GB at a discounted price.

Well, when you are operating with less available cap space than other teams, there isn't much choice but to look for discounts. Generally speaking, GB has't been sitting on tons of unused cap space. The Shields injury freed up some space, but most years they were carrying over the same static margin and spending everything else. Which is why last year's signings weren't really a surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I still don't understand why Tennessee isn't where they all want to go.  Nashville has stuff to do.  There is no income tax in Tennessee.  The cost of living is one of the lowest in the nation.  But if I am being honest, I doubt that income tax is that much of a factor.  Only California currently charges higher than 10% and there are all kinds of local taxes on different things.  For example, if I make 1 million playing for the Bears, I pay less state income tax than I would if I played for the Chiefs.  But Kansas City is a much cheaper city to live in/near.  Illinois has a flat 3.75% income tax, Missouri has a 6% income tax (I pay taxes in both of these states, so I kind of know what I am talking about).  But we know that everything else in Chicago will cost more money than KC.  In the end, you are probably equal.

And the cost of living between both those locations and Florida is considerable. The cost of living in Florida isnt challenging - why do you think so many retirees head here (?) cause it costs a bundle? No. Personally? I didnt have the heat on all winter and the A/C hasnt been turned on yet. I wonder how that compares to the experiences in Chicago and KC...........

 

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leader said:

And the cost of living between both those locations and Florida is considerable. The cost of living in Florida isnt challenging - why do you think so many retirees head here (?) cause it costs a bundle? No. Personally? I didnt have the heat on all winter and the A/C hasnt been turned on yet. I wonder how that compares to the experiences in Chicago and KC...........

 

I have had both the heat and A/C on this year and I am in St. Louis, KC climate is just about the same.

What are sales taxes in FL? It has been a long time since I have been there.  

There are all kinds of other things too.  Gasoline in IL costs something like 10 cents more per gallon just because of a state tax on it.  There is a higher tax on tobacco too, I have no idea what the cost difference is, but it is more expensive East of the river.  Uncle Sam will get his.

 

I also would guess that a 1 million dollar house in Green Bay is better than a house of the same cost in San Fran or Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important factor will always be $$$ .. You get it close, then Aaron and winning probably tips it to Green Bay. Maybe some older guys who really want the ring would take less, but you only get so many NFL contracts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have had both the heat and A/C on this year and I am in St. Louis, KC climate is just about the same.

What are sales taxes in FL? It has been a long time since I have been there.  There are all kinds of other things too.  Gasoline in IL costs something like 10 cents more per gallon just because of a state tax on it.  There is a higher tax on tobacco too, I have no idea what the cost difference is, but it is more expensive East of the river.  Uncle Sam will get his.

I also would guess that a 1 million dollar house in Green Bay is better than a house of the same cost in San Fran or Miami.

The sales tax in Florida is 7%

It all adds up and I think the cumulative cost of living in Florida is lower than Illinois (for certain) and (probably) Missouri as well. I dont know about the relative "better" house comment. If you've got a million bucks - you can put together a decent home anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have had both the heat and A/C on this year and I am in St. Louis, KC climate is just about the same.

What are sales taxes in FL? It has been a long time since I have been there.  

There are all kinds of other things too.  Gasoline in IL costs something like 10 cents more per gallon just because of a state tax on it.  There is a higher tax on tobacco too, I have no idea what the cost difference is, but it is more expensive East of the river.  Uncle Sam will get his.

 

I also would guess that a 1 million dollar house in Green Bay is better than a house of the same cost in San Fran or Miami.

I'm from the Northeast and have been in Florida since I showed up at University of Florida - and I look now at the s&^% the Mid-West (Great Lakes area) and my old stomping grounds now get - in terms of really, really, REALLY nasty weather and broad temperature swings - and I have absolutely no inclination to move back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it’s definitely possible to sign FA’s to GB, I think it’s likely more difficult. I’d figure most people don’t like the freezing cold, even if they are from the north. From the sample I’ve looked at, it looks like about 55% of nfl players are from the south. Only about 36% are from the mid-north or far north. 

About 55% are from a large metro area and another 22% within 1 hr drive from a large metro area. 

And even amongst those that might come to appreciate living in GB, there’s probably a percentage that would never have decided on their own volition to test it long enough to develop that appreciation if that hadn’t been drafted by GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each player is going to value different things, so it’s hard to nail down.  Reputation of front office, player personnel, culture is important to some.  To others, it’s chicks, man.  Gotta get me some chicks...and some good bling.  Show me the money!  Others, would play anywhere - they just hope to get a contract.  And it’s fluid, always changing.  Seems now playing in Minny is the hot ticket.  That wasn’t the case a few years ago.  Some PhD candidate could probably give this question a whirl.  Probably some interesting multiple regression equation that considers all variables across a matrix of longitudinal data to get an ideal location/scenario for a majority of players.  My guess...it ain’t GB.  But that’s not the end of the world either.  We’ve got championships...and cheese.  And chicks with cheese.  And Muskie fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm from the Northeast and have been in Florida since I showed up at University of Florida - and I look now at the s&^% the Mid-West (Great Lakes area) and my old stomping grounds now get - in terms of really, really, REALLY nasty weather and broad temperature swings - and I have absolutely no inclination to move back.

Well we don't want you anyways! Enjoy playing for the crappy Jaguars!!!

Is that what we're supposed to do? I haven't been keeping up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost has nothing to do with the viability of us signing players and has everything to do with activities. We're better off than we once were, but I'm sure it makes players of color very uncomfortable when they head north or west of Green Bay only to see a buttload of trailer parks with hick trucks and confederate flags.

 

That said, most players commute to their teams during the season and live elsewhere most of the year, so if we can sell the idea of the team, rather than the negatives outside of the Green Bay City limits, we SHOULD be a viable landing spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

 We’ve got championships...and cheese.  And chicks with cheese.  And Muskie fishing.

Chicks with cheese eh? Not a pairing that immediately jumps to mind, but a concept worth exploring! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Well we don't want you anyways! Enjoy playing for the crappy Jaguars!!!

Is that what we're supposed to do? I haven't been keeping up.

Hey, hey, hey......I was born and raised up there dude. I've got claiming rights. A lifetime membership. "Step to the front of the line, if you please" :)
It's like this......I'm down here, barefoot w/jeans and a T-shirt - meanwhile my FB page is getting pounded by pics of 5-10-12" of snow and reports of no power. Now - snow has its attributes...and hurricanes can certainly be troublesome.....but as for year round day to day existence? (there's something not quite right about that last phrase.....but you get the idea).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Much harder.

What do you sell them on in GB?  History?  Quarterback play?  Winning culture?  Continuity of the coach?

Used to be the facilities, but that isn't as true anymore as other stadiums and training facilities have been upgraded.

You sure aren't selling them on the small town or demographics of the small town.

You aren't selling them on living there year 'round.

You aren't selling them on tax advantages.

In the end, I think it is a money play to overcome the disadvantages to playing in GB.

Nice chat going about average age of guys GB tends to land.  Yah, they are more or less getting vets that have already made their money and are now looking for more, like winning and an opportunity at a Super Bowl.

I liked this! ...............you can sell them on winning culture! QB play [ current]! History! plus the end of your comment I'll take those guys any day anyways! Once we get them guys fall in love with the whole scenario some not sure but then good riddance.......no prob thats what makes us special 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I still don't understand why Tennessee isn't where they all want to go.  Nashville has stuff to do.  There is no income tax in Tennessee.  The cost of living is one of the lowest in the nation.  But if I am being honest, I doubt that income tax is that much of a factor.  Only California currently charges higher than 10% and there are all kinds of local taxes on different things.  For example, if I make 1 million playing for the Bears, I pay less state income tax than I would if I played for the Chiefs.  But Kansas City is a much cheaper city to live in/near.  Illinois has a flat 3.75% income tax, Missouri has a 6% income tax (I pay taxes in both of these states, so I kind of know what I am talking about).  But we know that everything else in Chicago will cost more money than KC.  In the end, you are probably equal.

 

Actually IL raised the rate to 4.95% this past July, but your point is valid.

Edited by GalenaPackFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×