Outpost31

Is it harder for the Packers to sign free agents than it is for other teams?

Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?

Just now, eyecatcher said:

Shame on me for having an opinion?   

It's my new thing.  Don't take it too seriously.

There are on average 10 or 11 players on a team that make 5,000,000 or more.  The Packers have 13 right now.  I agree it's harder for the pack to sign FAs.  I just don't think taxes have anything to do with it.  

They don't have a giant thing to do with it, but you can't deny that 5 million in Florida or Texas is better than 5 million in Wisconsin.  Therefore, if the Packers offer 5 million to somebody and the Texans, Cowboys, Dolphins, Buccaneers or Jaguars offer 5 million to that same person...

Add up 200,000 dollars, actual things to do, warm weather...

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

They don't have a giant thing to do with it, but you can't deny that 5 million in Florida or Texas is better than 5 million in Wisconsin.  Therefore, if the Packers offer 5 million to somebody and the Texans, Cowboys, Dolphins, Buccaneers or Jaguars offer 5 million to that same person...

Cost of living is far greater in those locations too so I think that negates the tax issue even further.  A 500,000 house in the Green Bay area is over 1,000,000 in Miami area.  

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

o-relative-value-900.jpg

You make 7$ on every 100$ in WI over FL. That's 350k per 5m. So yes, when you factor in cost of living, 5m in WI is better than FL. Texas you're about equal.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The players that have location as one of their top needs (for the reason GB would be on the bottom of the list, not family wise as far as schools and safety) are the FAs that probably have the highest chance of busting after they get that contract anyway. I'm glad it weeds them out.

I want guys looking for their football fit anyway.

Yeah Jennings couldn't wait to get his family out of GB.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Yeah Jennings couldn't wait to get his family out of GB.

Just sour grapes man. I got to know Greg in his time here, my uncle's business catered his golf outing every year. Not the case. Was disappointed to hear that from him because it was clearly a case of him spewing crap because he felt spurned by GB.

It's obvious now by Jordy and Jones we don't value WRs above 30. Greg took offense to that clearly.

Cost of living is far greater in those locations too so I think that negates the tax issue even further.  A 500,000 house in the Green Bay area is over 1,000,000 in Miami area.  

Granted, but as everyone says, people don't always live where they play.  You can have one, not both points. 

Same to Ray. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

o-relative-value-900.jpg

You make 7$ on every 100$ in WI over FL. That's 350k per 5m. So yes, when you factor in cost of living, 5m in WI is better than FL. Texas you're about equal.

Thats an interesting chart and adds to my perspective. The only "commodity" they specify is "rental housing cost" which I've no doubt would be higher in Florida than Wisconsin as (I'd believe) far more Floridians rent. Such "rentals" (i.e. people coming into the State on a temporary basis) is a major driver of the Florida economy.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Granted, but as everyone says, people don't always live where they play.  You can have one, not both points. 

Same to Ray. 

If the don't always live where they play than Green Bay shouldn't be an issue.  Arguing on both sides of the fence?  

If the don't always live where they play than Green Bay shouldn't be an issue.  Arguing on both sides of the fence?  

Yes, but you can't. 

I talked to the flight attendant who's brother is the starting DE for the Panthers. His name is Mario Addison and when he was able to chose a team, he rejected the Packers because of the cold and small city of Green Bay. He's since become a pretty good pass rusher and would have been a great addition, but didn't want to come to the Packers. Brian Robison from the Vikings is another who didn't want to sign with the Packers because of Green Bay, that happened about 7-9 years ago.

So there are issues with Green Bay as a small town, but practical reasons....many players would be better off so they could focus on football verses their posse.

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Wholly **** man! You just described 90% of the Southeastern US!

Have you ever actually been there? Or just all your information from stereotypes and cartoons?

15 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Have you ever actually been there? Or just all your information from stereotypes and cartoons?

Yes, I have actually been there. Though I do like to get some of my information from cartoons.

As far as stereotypes?,,,,I usually give people their individual chances, but most end up as the stereotype, hence the term 'stereotype'.

Sorry if you took offense, but I can't help that.

32 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Yes, I have actually been there. Though I do like to get some of my information from cartoons.

As far as stereotypes?,,,,I usually give people their individual chances, but most end up as the stereotype, hence the term 'stereotype'.

Sorry if you took offense, but I can't help that.

Exactly. There's a reason "stereotype" isn't otherwise known as "exception to the rule" or "outlier".

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Exactly. There's a reason "stereotype" isn't otherwise known as "exception to the rule" or "outlier".

Ok, so every time people perceive that a certain stereotype exists, it's accurate in the majority of a population? I think there are lots of "stereotypes" different groups of people have believed in throughout history that you would disagree with.