Is it harder for the Packers to sign free agents than it is for other teams?

MacReady

Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it harder for Green Bay, Wisconsin than other markets to land free agent talent?

“Weather and [sex] are huge factors"

:)

Miami will have to go underwater entirely for it not to be a player favorite.

Detroit, has the added knock of a locker room that appears dysfunctional to players looking in from the outside.

“Especially with Matt ‘I think I’m Belichick but I haven’t done s---’ Patricia,” one agent said.

:):)

Call me crazy, but I think the decision to play anywhere - not just in GB - varies widely from player to player.  I imagine each athlete has his own set of criteria for selecting a place/deal/situation that’s best for him.  

If I were a player, I personally couldn’t have fathomed playing in a place like Cleveland just a few years ago. Depending upon my position, I might feel differently about that place today, though, if I was a QB or receiver, I’m not sure I’d want to go there now, as I’d probably never see the field (due to the players currently on their roster).  Every player is different, has a different set of circumstances to consider, and will have different pros and cons to work through.

11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Call me crazy, but I think the decision to play anywhere - not just in GB - varies widely from player to player.  I imagine each athlete has his own set of criteria for selecting a place/deal/situation that’s best for him.  

If I were a player, I personally couldn’t have fathomed playing in a place like Cleveland just a few years ago. Depending upon my position, I might feel differently about that place today, though, if I was a QB or receiver, I’m not sure I’d want to go there now, as I’d probably never see the field (due to the players currently on their roster).  Every player is different, has a different set of circumstances to consider, and will have different pros and cons to work through.

There are two types of players that would consider playing for Green Bay.

1. Will Play for the most amount of money.

2. Green Bay is a good place to raise a family or move the family.

The type of players that will not go to Green Bay.

1. Its too cold.

2. Yeah there isn't a Starbucks on every corner... the nearest McDonalds is three blocks away and that is too far...  etc...

3. The night life isn't even close to most cities... etc...

32 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

There are two types of players that would consider playing for Green Bay.

1. Will Play for the most amount of money.

2. Green Bay is a good place to raise a family or move the family.

The type of players that will not go to Green Bay.

1. Its too cold.

2. Yeah there isn't a Starbucks on every corner... the nearest McDonalds is three blocks away and that is too far...  etc...

3. The night life isn't even close to most cities... etc...

Those aren’t “types of players” as much as they are criteria to be factored into their decision.  Here’s a bunch more you didn’t list:

1. Role on the team (chance to start, etc.)
  2. Fellow teammates - talent level of the team
  3. Coaching staff and their philosophy
  4. Supporting cast and facilities
  5. Culture of the team
  6. Is this likely to be their best (or only) offer?  How does it rank against other offers?

Probably many other criteria - these (and yours) are just a small sample of decision criteria.  Each player has their own process of evaluating the criteria with their own weighted scoring matrix.  Some players might weigh compensation much more heavily than the city or the weather.  Players with a young family might have a different set of criteria, or weigh certain criterion more heavily than a single man.  Decisions like these aren’t always just cut and dry.  

13 hours ago, firstplace said:

Wisconsin has taxes also. Other states don't.

I was listening to sports radio a couple weeks ago and they were talking about state tax implications for baseball players.  They said, for example, if Bryce Harper, who is a Nevada resident (no state taxes), were to sign with a California team, like the Giants, the only time he would pay California state tax is when he played games in California.  So assuming the same goes for football players, state taxes are applied to player paychecks in each specific state they play a game in rather than their state of residence, so even if a Packers player lives in Wisconsin, he's not paying Wisconsin income tax when the team is playing away games, or if he plays for the Packers but is, say, a Texas resident, he's only paying Wisconsin taxes when the Packers play at home.  If all that is accurate, then the whole state tax thing might not be as big a factor as most people think.

15 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I was listening to sports radio a couple weeks ago and they were talking about state tax implications for baseball players.  They said, for example, if Bryce Harper, who is a Nevada resident (no state taxes), were to sign with a California team, like the Giants, the only time he would pay California state tax is when he played games in California.  So assuming the same goes for football players, state taxes are applied to player paychecks in each specific state they play a game in rather than their state of residence, so even if a Packers player lives in Wisconsin, he's not paying Wisconsin income tax when the team is playing away games, or if he's plays for the Packers but is, say, a Texas resident, he's only paying Wisconsin taxes when the Packers play at home.  If all that is accurate, then the whole state tax thing might not be as big a factor as most people think.

Yeah this is how it is. I'm like 99.9% sure. 

Edit: unless there's some way football would be different? 

I am pretty sure that you still have to pay income tax in the state that the game is played.  So even if I played for the Titans, with no state income tax, when I play the 49ers, I have to pay California tax on that game check, because it was income earned in California.  

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am pretty sure that you still have to pay income tax in the state that the game is played.  So even if I played for the Titans, with no state income tax, when I play the 49ers, I have to pay California tax on that game check, because it was income earned in California.  

But only on your weekly game check I'm guessing. So all your signing bonus and other bonuses would be the state law. So it's probably still a huge benefit I'm guessing

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Isn't that exactly what I said?

6 hours ago, Norm said:

But only on your weekly game check I'm guessing. So all your signing bonus and other bonuses would be the state law. So it's probably still a huge benefit I'm guessing

Ah yes, I didn't take into account bonuses.  I wonder how that would work, if they would be subject to tax where the team is, or if they are taxed according to state of residence.  If it is where the team is, then yeah, that's a huge deal.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, Lodestar said:

We've signed tons of free agents over the years; most of them just happen to be already playing with us. 

This conversation comes up every year, and while yes I'm sure it's harder to attract guys to the city of Green Bay, it's not like we're sitting here with no talent and tons of cap space. The biggest difference between us and a team like Jacksonville is not that they're some kind of destination team and city. It's that we have drafted well and retained our best players.

Resigning players before their contract is up is a little different. By guaranteeing money in season you provide security.

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Those aren’t “types of players” as much as they are criteria to be factored into their decision.  Here’s a bunch more you didn’t list:

1. Role on the team (chance to start, etc.)
  2. Fellow teammates - talent level of the team
  3. Coaching staff and their philosophy
  4. Supporting cast and facilities
  5. Culture of the team
  6. Is this likely to be their best (or only) offer?  How does it rank against other offers?

Probably many other criteria - these (and yours) are just a small sample of decision criteria.  Each player has their own process of evaluating the criteria with their own weighted scoring matrix.  Some players might weigh compensation much more heavily than the city or the weather.  Players with a young family might have a different set of criteria, or weigh certain criterion more heavily than a single man.  Decisions like these aren’t always just cut and dry.  

Actually I didn't list, but meant to because those are the common ones. Except I did cover number 6.

Archived