CB Tramon Williams returning to GB - 2yr deal

deltarich87

Happy with the signing. We needed some experience within our defensive backs. Williams or Revis was my preference. Could still get both.

If I remember correctly Williams started out as a slot corner for us as we had Al Harris and Woodson on the outside then he transitioned outside with Woodson becoming a bonafide playmaker in the slot. The point is we can use him in the slot if needs be.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Happy with the signing. We needed some experience within our defensive backs. Williams or Revis was my preference. Could still get both.

If I remember correctly Williams started out as a slot corner for us as we had Al Harris and Woodson on the outside then he transitioned outside with Woodson becoming a bonafide playmaker in the slot. The point is we can use him in the slot if needs be.

He was moved back to slot in his last year in Green Bay and was an abomination though. He needs to play off man coverage to have success. If he’s not given the 10 or 15 yard cushion he’s not gonna have success. 

Not sure what they see when they are looking at Williams. He was horrid his last year in Green Bay and continued the terrible play in Cleveland up until when they benched and then released him. 

Just now, SSG said:

He was moved back to slot in his last year in Green Bay and was an abomination though. He needs to play off man coverage to have success. If he’s not given the 10 or 15 yard cushion he’s not gonna have success. 

Not sure what they see when they are looking at Williams. He was horrid his last year in Green Bay and continued the terrible play in Cleveland up until when they benched and then released him. 

I advise you go through that entire thread I posted above to see why they were interested in him. 

8 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I advise you go through that entire thread I posted above to see why they were interested in him. 

Thanks, i know why they are interested in him. We suck at CB and he’s a former packer. Unless Pettine is changing what he requires from his CBs, I dont See the fit. Heck, the video that you posted from twitter (or someone posted, above) even said/ showed that his success was in off man. Are we going to allow Williams to give the WR the 10 or 15 yards of cushion that he requires? Time will tell. Sorry, I cant Ignore 100% of his 3 previous seasons in which he looked to be done. The last time he was required to play Press man coverage he was benched midway through the season and then thrown out with the garbage at the end of the year. Tramon Williams looked All but washed up when Green Bay let him leave in UFA at the end of 2014 and that didn’t change in Cleveland. 

I've seen the sparkling numbers Tramon put up last year. I do pause and wonder how much it helped having the league's best CB shut down half the field opposite him though. Tramon must have benefited often from facing teams' #2 WR with lots of safety help. Kevin King surely isn't at Patrick Peterson's level so it will be a different dynamic here. Not saying it's a bad signing, just being cautious.

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

Thanks, i know why they are interested in him. We suck at CB and he’s a former packer. Unless Pettine is changing what he requires from his CBs, I dont See the fit. Heck, the video that you posted from twitter (or someone posted, above) even said/ showed that his success was in off man. Are we going to allow Williams to give the WR the 10 or 15 yards of cushion that he requires? Time will tell. Sorry, I cant Ignore 100% of his 3 previous seasons in which he looked to be done. The last time he was required to play Press man coverage he was benched midway through the season and then thrown out with the garbage at the end of the year. Tramon Williams looked All but washed up when Green Bay let him leave in UFA at the end of 2014. 

I'm willing to ignore it considering the situations he was in. Hayward and Hyde showed that, once you get out of Capers' garbage system, you can thrive. Then, he went to the Browns, where every DB goes to die. 

Pettine, unlike Capers, seems like the type that will fit his players and not go 100% based on his scheme. I'm willing to give it a shot and see if Tramon's got magic left. There's no harm in this signing whatsoever.

Archived