Tramon Williams returns to GB

Ketchup

@89JonesNTAF...REUNITED: Sources tell me CB Tramon Williams @HighRizer22 will be returning to the #Packers on a 2-Year Deal...He played there for 9 years and helped seal the #SBXLV victory...Much needed CB help is on the way @nflnetwork @NFL

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Not that I’ve tried overly hard to figure it out, but I have no idea how to do that with a tweet. 

Just post the link and it should convert it to the tweet formatting.

Sometimes it can be touchy on mobile devices.

Tramon was a decent player in his first stint in GB.  He may have lost a step, but he is probably a welcome face who can still do some work out on the field, kind of like Mike Zimmer's guy, Terence Newman.  As players get a little older, they can sometimes make up for some of the speed they have lost physically by having a great knowledge of the game and an ability to anticipate where they need to be a little sooner than the younger guys.  

55 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Much needed CB help is on the way? Is it really though?

At this point, yes.  Prior to the signing, the only notable CBs on the roster are Kevin King (former 1st round pick), Herb Waters (a WR convert), a former 2nd round pick coming off injury in Rollins, and an UDFA they're high on in Lenzy Pipkins.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I just remember Tramon Williams 3 years ago in Cleveland looking like he was completely done. He got torched in man, zone, press, and off. He just looked bad. I forget where he was last season, but I'd imagine it was more of the same: toast.

He played pretty well last year in AZ.  We have a pretty young cornerback group so his veteran leadership will be welcome.  I can't think of any Packers fans who want him starting, however...

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I just remember Tramon Williams 3 years ago in Cleveland looking like he was completely done. He got torched in man, zone, press, and off. He just looked bad. I forget where he was last season, but I'd imagine it was more of the same: toast.

You'd be wrong. He was borderline elite last year. #9 on PFF. Had like a 58 passer rating against.

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He was the best CB in the NFL in man coverage according to PFF.

57 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He was the best CB in the NFL in man coverage according to PFF.

He was also playing with some very talented DB’s though. How much was that a factor? Either way, I like it if he’s no higher then 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

He was also playing with some very talented DB’s though. How much was that a factor? Either way, I like it if he’s no higher then 3rd. 

Man coverage is man coverage. Not like zone where your surrounding cast can bail you out. It's pretty obvious from the cutups on Twitter that Tramon is healthy and had a revival. Obviously he won't be counted on as #2 but it's great to know it we have him as depth.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, yes.  Prior to the signing, the only notable CBs on the roster are Kevin King (former 1st round pick), Herb Waters (a WR convert), a former 2nd round pick coming off injury in Rollins, and an UDFA they're high on in Lenzy Pipkins.

I forgot Rollins was a 2nd round pick...he wasn't particularly that good before the injury. He might start the season on PUP list, right?

Pipkins and Waters? eh. you can easily upgrade there.

I guess you could do worse than Tramon Williams. I think he'd be at his best if he wasn't asked to be a starter, but that may be the case.

Packers still need to draft a CB in round 1. I don't think they have much of a choice, even if they sign another Free Agent CB.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

PFF had him as their 9th ranked corner. Take it with a grain of salt obviously, but he played decent last year apparently. 

I always liked Tramon. Not a bad player.

Archived