Carl Lawson Endorsement

MrCincinnati

Sorry for not posting a link, but I saw this on rotoworld. Marvin Lewis has given huge praise to Carl Lawson, saying he will be "unleashed" this year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/27424/marvin-lewis-carl-lawson-is-going-to-get-unleashed

It's no secret Lawson has been having a good camp. But you have to wonder about the pecking order at the DE and LB positions, and my logic tells me he's going to be buried at the bottom his rookie year. Could this mean maybe a surprise cut like Michael Johnson could happen? Is this a sign that hes going to be on the field alot this year?

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

He looks like the real deal in videos I've seen. Kinda like a Von Miller type of player

Lewis said he reminds him of a David Pollack, which seems pretty accurate. Pollack could play both DE and LB, and get to the QB. And the injury thing to Pollack ruined him, which is also Lawson's biggest question mark that could hold him back from his potential.

12 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Lewis said he reminds him of a David Pollack, which seems pretty accurate. Pollack could play both DE and LB, and get to the QB. And the injury thing to Pollack ruined him, which is also Lawson's biggest question mark that could hold him back from his potential.

He's a lot faster and quicker than David Pollack. Maybe in terms of motor, but Pollack was more of a strength and technique guy. Von Miller is a good comp, though obviously Lawson has a way to go to prove that out. 

If he is half as good as Miller, I'll take it in a heartbeat.  Miller is so good that he draws double and triple teams all of the time, allowing others to feast as well.  Imagine a DL of Atkins, Dunlap, Willis and maybe Hardison/Billings/Williams along with Lawson coming from LB.  As long as our CBs don't fall off a cliff, that should be more than enough to get the opposition off the field on third downs.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:50 AM, johndeere1707 said:

Maybe like a Von Miller/Justin Houston hybrid. Lawson does look super quick. I don't know why they wouldn't just rush with him every play. 

This is going to annoy me to no end this season.  He should be starting instead of Michael Johnson.  Instead, we're going to be running him around in coverage and use him as a run stopper. Then when he's good and tired tell him to rush the passer.  We need to wise up and just let him rush the passer...

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

This is going to annoy me to no end this season.  He should be starting instead of Michael Johnson.  Instead, we're going to be running him around in coverage and use him as a run stopper. Then when he's good and tired tell him to rush the passer.  We need to wise up and just let him rush the passer...

So pessimistic. But yeah it's true. 

15 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

But they are playing him at SAM.  Hopefully Willis starts taking snaps from Johnson with Lawson coming off the edge as well.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

But they are playing him at SAM.  Hopefully Willis starts taking snaps from Johnson with Lawson coming off the edge as well.

They were actually talking about this on the BBP (kind of).  Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's playing LB on 2nd and 3rd team.  He's playing 1st team DE on 3rd downs.  So at least initially, we'll just see him rushing the passer.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

They were actually talking about this on the BBP (kind of).  Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's playing LB on 2nd and 3rd team.  He's playing 1st team DE on 3rd downs.  So at least initially, we'll just see him rushing the passer.

Hopefully it stays that way.  We badly need a better pass rush than last year.

51 minutes ago, theJ said:

They did seem to talk like he will be starting on clear passing situations which is great. I didnt expect it honestly, but maybe they are learning. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I figure I should ask now, what is BBP?

Archived