Daniel McCullers re-signed

CKSteeler

Just to have a “break glass in case of emergency” type guy I guess...maybe Dunbar sees something in him.

Still think they take guy to compete with Hargraves at some point in draft....Personally I think Payne from Bama is in play in 1st and they’ve shown a lot of interest in Frazier as well.

I wouldn't do it, but I think it's to ensure that depth positions are filled before going into the draft. I don't think he is a lock to make the team at all. I think it's just in case we can't find anyone to replace him on the depth chart... Which wouldn't be hard, but teams like to have their rosters filled out before going into the draft.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I would love Payne. He and Hargrave would wreck stuff in the middle of the defense. I don’t know how we’d get all these guys enough playing time but I’d like to see them try.

A large part of the problem this defense is having is that they rely on a few guys with little rotation. It's odd that they have a rotation going at LB but they've been slower along the DL.

But with McCullers you are talking about a guy who they seemed to desperately avoid putting on the field. He wasn't even active most of the time. He's got some talent and usefulness, but they wouldn't use him unless they had no choice. There's a time to cut the cord for both the team and the player.

4 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

1 year deal, likely minimum. But the question becomes why even bother. They refused to use him last year really at all. They apparently don't think much of his work ethic. Why bother?

BFN: Big For Nothing. He has never played to his size. He is a worthless Roster spot. I'd rather have Hilton play DT. 

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

BFN: Big For Nothing. He has never played to his size. He is a worthless Roster spot. I'd rather have Hilton play DT. 

LOL!!!!

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’ll throw in a counter:

The Eagles for years had a 6’9” OT that sucked as a player, but they kept him on cheap contracts because on the FG unit he altered at least 1 FG a year. 

For the sake of discussion, Big Dan has done what to warrant keeping him? No FG's blocked, no sacks that I can remember, and did he even have a single solo tackle? Sometimes it is better to just move on.  I am not always in favor of resigning guys who did not produce to develop them. This is like trying to back Ross Cockrell (He actually signed with Carolina) and Mike Mitchell. I get that Coach Dunbar may be able to do something, but I would rather give him new talent to work with.  I was a huge fan of the fact the Steelers drafted Mt. McCullers, but he has disappointed big time. I think the Steelers did all they could with him.  I get the fact he could be an insurance policy....One I would trade in asap!!!!

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

LOL!!!!

For the sake of discussion, Big Dan has done what to warrant keeping him? No FG's blocked, no sacks that I can remember, and did he even have a single solo tackle? Sometimes it is better to just move on.  I am not always in favor of resigning guys who did not produce to develop them. This is like trying to back Ross Cockrell (He actually signed with Carolina) and Mike Mitchell. I get that Coach Dunbar may be able to do something, but I would rather give him new talent to work with.  I was a huge fan of the fact the Steelers drafted Mt. McCullers, but he has disappointed big time. I think the Steelers did all they could with him.  I get the fact he could be an insurance policy....One I would trade in asap!!!!

I'm never wrong about my Vols players. You can go all the way back (even further if you want) from Witten to Arian Foster (UDFA) or just within the past couple of years. I know what my eyes see. I said BFN was soft and would do nothing. I said Coleman (CB drafted in late Rd by Pats) would be a solid player.  I said Dobbs would be nothing but a backup (TBD by some of you). I said Sutton would be Ok but not the stud some think he's gonna be (TBD). And I'm telling you, Gaulden will be outstanding. Add to this year's class McKenzie, who has a 7th Rd "Grade", will be a solid player as well. Bank on it.

33 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

LOL!!!!

FWIW I was very adamant last year to get rid of him.  Just saying plenty of teams have kept big guys around for a long time.

McCullers is terrible.   I'll be disappointed if he makes the roster, but Im not mad about this move right now because I know how the Steelers roster in terms of filling out the roster before the draft, and it makes sense that they'd resign a low cost guy who they are familiar with.

HOWEVER, by the time the season rolls around, he better not be on the roster.     I mean hell, give a young UDFA a shot over him.    He literally has nothing to offer, so if youre going to have someone like that on the roster, it should at least be someone that has upside.   Something McCullers doesnt have.

I wont be shocked if he is on the team, though.    We always carry one or two players that absolutely baffle me how they make the team. 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

McCullers is terrible.   I'll be disappointed if he makes the roster, but Im not mad about this move right now because I know how the Steelers roster in terms of filling out the roster before the draft, and it makes sense that they'd resign a low cost guy who they are familiar with.

HOWEVER, by the time the season rolls around, he better not be on the roster.     I mean hell, give a young UDFA a shot over him.    He literally has nothing to offer, so if youre going to have someone like that on the roster, it should at least be someone that has upside.   Something McCullers doesnt have.

I wont be shocked if he is on the team, though.    We always carry one or two players that absolutely baffle me how they make the team. 

McCullers played 13 snaps last year.  If they thought he was any good, he would've played more.  At his best, he can look very good.  The problem is, he doesn't do that very often.  

Have to agree with your assessment 43M, why would they not draft someone to take his spot or pick up a Min FA or hell, anyone who might be better.  I would also be very surprised if he made the final 53.  

McCullers is always the last person off the snap.  His size and strength are negated because the Olinemen can easily beat him to the angle.  I will say that Orlando Brown showed less explosiveness at the combine than McCullers.

On 2018-03-26 at 8:10 AM, jebrick said:

McCullers is always the last person off the snap.  His size and strength are negated because the Olinemen can easily beat him to the angle.  I will say that Orlando Brown showed less explosiveness at the combine than McCullers.

then we draft Brown;)

Archived