NYJ signing WR Terrelle Pryor to 1 year-deal

Broncofan

We talked about this briefly in the NFL Rumors thread in NFLGen, but the decision to go with NYJ over SEA is a fascinating one:

1.  NYJ in theory offers a chance at a higher spot in the pecking order.  Robbie Anderson has legal troubles, and Quincy Enunwa is coming off a year off (although he really flashed the prior year for sure).   

2.  SEA offers Russell Wilson, and a lot of missing targets with Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson gone.  And a D that hardly looks formidable, the chance Wilson will be chucking it 40x+ a game seems high.   

3.  Pryor was just awful last year - now, we didn't know that he had a lingering ankle injury since Week 2, which required season-ending surgery.  But he really only had himself to blame for last year's struggles.

In the end, as with Donte Moncrief, I suspect it's about the $, NYJ has lots of room.   It will be interesting to see how this deal compares to Moncrief's.

18 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Good move for the jets , redskins missed used this guy like crazy. He gonna be good.

I think it's a good signing (of course depending on the #'s) - but to be fair to WAS, this wasn't on them.  He literally was not the same guy as in CLE 2016.   Couldn't separate against press coverage, couldn't win ball fights, and he didn't get open.   Now, the ankle injury (apparently Week 2) wasn't publicized, and so it would explain a lot. But this wasn't on WAS.   They didn't do much right last year, but Pryor's struggles were all his own. 

Now healthy, and with a fresh start, I think he could very well bounce back.   Out of all the WR's left, only he and Meredith have enough past skill upside to be legit top 25-30 WR's, so as long as the $'s not insane (and I doubt it will be after last year), it's a strong pickup.  

Every move the Jets make from this point has been conflicting for me. They’re the Jets and they play us hard at least once a year and occasionally sneak a W, but I want Bridgewater to have success. 

Hopefully this gets resolved when they draft a rookie. 

You’re tripping if you think Russ is throwing 40x a game. The whole objective of the offseason for Seattle is to get back to that run first, run second, throw if you have to formula that made us contenders. The defense may have lost some name value, but I have no doubts it will still be a middle-of-the-pack unit at the very least, and a big part of that will be ball control on the offensive side. 

Sucks we didn’t land Pryor, but I can’t blame him. Like I said, we don’t plan on featuring the pass and this isn’t an offense that feeds any one guy on a consistent basis. He should have more opportunity to prove his value in New York. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We talked about this briefly in the NFL Rumors thread in NFLGen, but the decision to go with NYJ over SEA is a fascinating one:

1.  NYJ in theory offers a chance at a higher spot in the pecking order.  Robbie Anderson has legal troubles, and Quincy Enunwa is coming off a year off (although he really flashed the prior year for sure).   

2.  SEA offers Russell Wilson, and a lot of missing targets with Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson gone.  And a D that hardly looks formidable, the chance Wilson will be chucking it 40x+ a game seems high.   

3.  Pryor was just awful last year - now, we didn't know that he had a lingering ankle injury since Week 2, which required season-ending surgery.  But he really only had himself to blame for last year's struggles.

In the end, as with Donte Moncrief, I suspect it's about the $, NYJ has lots of room.   It will be interesting to see how this deal compares to Moncrief's.

I'm sure Josh McCown helped recruit him. Pryor's best year came with McCown under center. Also, Crowell could have put in a few calls. 

Not a fan of the move for either Pryor or the Jets. 

For Pryor, you're going to a team that aside from secondary, wide receiver is probably their most talented position.  You have two guys coming off of arguably career years in Robbie Anderson and Jermaine Kearse, you have Quincy Enunwa (who was expected to be their top WR) returning from injury and you have two other receivers they drafted in the third and fourth rounds last year.  You could have gone to the Bills.  With or without Zay Jones, they need WR help.  You could have gone to the Panthers and completed their WR corps.  If you wanted to reunite with anyone, you could have returned to the Browns and coach Hue Jackson knowing Corey Coleman can't stay healthy.   There are plenty of other teams in much greater need for a wide receiver. 

For the Jets, you're re-uniting the QB-RB-WR combo from the 1-15 2016 Cleveland Browns, signing a wide receiver you don't need who struggled last year and instead of signing someone who can fix one of the egregiously high number of team weaknesses you still have, you're spending money adding to one of the very few strengths you already had.

The Jets look like they are shifting back into the overspending mode that got them just short of the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick before it all fell apart a year later. I wouldn't be surprised if history repeats itself there. 

14 minutes ago, Crickett said:

For the Jets, you're re-uniting the QB-RB-WR combo from the 1-15 2016 Cleveland Browns, signing a wide receiver you don't need who struggled last year and instead of signing someone who can fix one of the egregiously high number of team weaknesses you still have, you're spending money adding to one of the very few strengths you already had.

Bridgewater will very very likely be starting....not McCown.

Beyond that, they will be drafting a QB as well.

14 minutes ago, Crickett said:

The Jets look like they are shifting back into the overspending mode that got them just short of the playoffs with Ryan Fitzpatrick before it all fell apart a year later. I wouldn't be surprised if history repeats itself there. 

They have a ton of cap room, and Im pretty sure they HAVE to spend some of it. 

3 hours ago, SoS said:

You’re tripping if you think Russ is throwing 40x a game. The whole objective of the offseason for Seattle is to get back to that run first, run second, throw if you have to formula that made us contenders. The defense may have lost some name value, but I have no doubts it will still be a middle-of-the-pack unit at the very least, and a big part of that will be ball control on the offensive side. 

Sucks we didn’t land Pryor, but I can’t blame him. Like I said, we don’t plan on featuring the pass and this isn’t an offense that feeds any one guy on a consistent basis. He should have more opportunity to prove his value in New York. 

Well then you had better hope that you completely revamp your oline and finally find a running back, because as it stands right now, your team is simply not equipped to be a running team. 

It's a good idea in principle though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out with a new offensive coordinator calling the plays. 

Iwonder if Pryor finally got a multi-year deal. 

I think a change of scenery will do Pryor some good. Really like the kid, hope he helps the Jets out, I seem to think he’d like the idea of playing in front of a New York crowd also. He’s much more talented than he showed in DC. 

Archived