2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

The hurricane took my power and wifi out.

Rosen is still my #1, Darnold #2, Allen #3, Jackson #4 so far. I'm waiting for jackson to play a defense that can take his run away. I like what I've been seeing from his throwing and decision making, but I need to see him get his butt kicked so I can see his response.

Someone popped out to me, Rashaad Penny from San Diego State. 5'11 220LBs. He averaged over 7ypc last season. Starting this season with 10+ypc .

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

The hurricane took my power and wifi out.

Rosen is still my #1, Darnold #2, Allen #3, Jackson #4 so far. I'm waiting for jackson to play a defense that can take his run away. I like what I've been seeing from his throwing and decision making, but I need to see him get his butt kicked so I can see his response.

Someone popped out to me, Rashaad Penny from San Diego State. 5'11 220LBs. He averaged over 7ypc last season. Starting this season with 10+ypc .

Probably Jackson' s biggest test will be this week against Clemson. 

I was extremely lucky. My wifi was on and off most of Sunday but Irma only took my power for an hour Sunday night and it's winds only reached the mid 60s with no flooding. Miami/Fort Laudedale to my south, Port St Lucie to my north and Fort Myers to my west were all hit much harder

I can't wait to watch the Louisville vs Clemson game. Last years matchup was so great. I think it will give us a good read on Jackson. At this point I'm not sure I'd take him 1 or 2 but if we are at 8 and he falls to us then I'd snag him assuming Rosen/Darnold are gone.

7 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Probably Jackson' s biggest test will be this week against Clemson. 

I was extremely lucky. My wifi was on and off most of Sunday but Irma only took my power for an hour Sunday night and it's winds only reached the mid 60s with no flooding. Miami/Fort Laudedale to my south, Port St Lucie to my north and Fort Myers to my west were all hit much harder

Yeah, this might be the perfect game for him. I think jackson has the skills to be a QB, but his system makes him run a lot. So we can't see the NFL potential yet. I can't knock his stock for that. It's working out pretty well for Mariota so far. So I'm keeping an open mind to him until he proves he can't do it. 

One thing that blew me away about Darnold is one of his TD passes last week. it looked like he just flicked his wrist while on the run and it was a perfect TD pass at the corner of the endzone. It blew me away because it looked so simple to him. At this point, I'm feeling good about this up coming off season.

My power was out for 5 hours but I didn't get wifi and cable until last night. So it wasn't too bad. My friends a block over just got their power today. It was crazy here.

Even though Macc didn't leave Bowles anything to work with, Bowles decision making got me looking at potential coaches.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:02 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't think this is the right way to approach the situation. The great offensive mind won't be worth much if we choose the wrong QB. First and foremost, we have to strike gold with the QB. So if a couple of guys are better than Darnold, don't take Darnold just because of the perception that he could attract a brighter OC. That is backwards thinking. That's Jets thinking. We need to start disassociating ourselves from bad decisions.

I also like the idea of picking two QB's in next year's draft. Make DOUBLY sure that we have our starter. Do what the Cowboys did when they took Troy Aikman, and then later on selected Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft (just in case). Do what the Redskins did when they took RGIII and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

I am definitely on the Lamar Jackson train. If he takes more time to develop than some of the others, I'd be willing to wait. He is a No. 1 QB and No. 1 RB all in one package. That type of talent does not come around often. On a team devoid of offensive talent, I'd love to get Jackson. Hell, we might even be able to land him with the early pick in Round 2. We could conceivably pick two QB's early, or pick Barkley or a dominant LT and then Jackson. 

I don't think we should shut the door on anything at this point.

I just can't see Lamar Jackson prospering in the NFL. Darnold is the clear cut #1 by all accounts but Allen, Rosen are at least close. However having that #1 pick plus 80M in cap space and a couple young building blocks defensively make this job ultra attractive to prospective GMs and Head Coaches, which is where it starts for us.

I guess the real question is which coaches do we have a shot at if Bowles fall flat?

Woody won't fire Macc next offseason because he doesn't want to develop a rep that GM's won't get enough time after the Idzik situation. Macc can fall back on the fact he created this situation of a high pick and cap space to make the right moves. he wasn't hired by us until after we started doing interviews for coaches. Macc is safe, especially if players like Shell, ASJ, Jenkins, Ealy, Adams, and Burris work out. 

The 2nd round is where it can get interesting. Especially for Oline and RB's.

17 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I guess the real question is which coaches do we have a shot at if Bowles fall flat?

Woody won't fire Macc next offseason because he doesn't want to develop a rep that GM's won't get enough time after the Idzik situation. Macc can fall back on the fact he created this situation of a high pick and cap space to make the right moves. he wasn't hired by us until after we started doing interviews for coaches. Macc is safe, especially if players like Shell, ASJ, Jenkins, Ealy, Adams, and Burris work out. 

If jags dont hold onto doug marrone..which they should...him and mac are buds, marrone would be an excellent hire. no nonsense guy, offensive guy who also values defense. His teams always play hard. Love that he calls out his players like Parcells used to too. 

On 9/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, rdelaney89 said:

I can't wait to watch the Louisville vs Clemson game. Last years matchup was so great. I think it will give us a good read on Jackson. At this point I'm not sure I'd take him 1 or 2 but if we are at 8 and he falls to us then I'd snag him assuming Rosen/Darnold are gone.

I doubt we draft at 8, I just can't see this team winning more than 2 games. 

17 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd definitely fire Bowles, he coaches scared.  If we have the 1st overall pick, I think we become somewhat of a interesting spot for coaches, especially if a QB like Darnold declares.  But we'll have over $100 mil in cap space, plus a high pick in a QB loaded draft class? Our future might not be so terrible, especially if some young players perform this season.  I feel like Jamal Adams will end up being a elite safety in the league, so our 1st round pick with him should be a slam dunk.  Marcus Maye might finally be a solid 2nd round pick.  The pickup of Kony Ealy was a good one, he is probably the best edge rusher we've had in years, hes only 25 too, hes always been capable of disrupting games, just has to be consistent. 

If he can get this offense to out perform expectations, I'd promote Morton. He learned from a lot of good HC's and brings attitude. He could be a better HC than OC.

With the right moves being made, we can be a contender in 2-3 years. Who knows, we might strike gold early like Dallas did. Draft our QB and spend the next 2 years building the Oline and getting a RB. Already have pieces to build around on defense. 

Rosen Vs memphis 12pm

Rudolph Vs Pitt 12pm

L.Jackson vs Clemson 8pm

Darnold vs Texas 8:30PM

Allen vs oregon 7PM

Pretty interesting match ups.  I'm going to peek at the Allen game . I still like him as a prospect. This might be the test for Jackson we've been waiting for. I don't see anything different from him and Mariota.

22 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I doubt we draft at 8, I just can't see this team winning more than 2 games. 

I agree, that was more of a worse case scenario. Basically with the way our team is structured and how the draft could shape up, I'm cool with sitting pat and taking whoever falls to us and holding on to our other draft picks.

Not sure how everyone else feels but I'd have no problem at all signing Alex Smith in FA along with OL/WR and then selecting a QB with our first pick. I'd even be okay with over paying a bit to get Smith. I'm a big fan of not rushing a QB into the lineup before the team is built around him. If sacrificing $15M next year allows us to have a stable surrounding (and build a potential winning atmosphere) for our rookie QB then I'm 100% on board. If that becomes a 2 year situation while we build the roster then I'm still okay with it. Our team is hurting for talent and the worse thing we can do is throw a rookie to the wolves. Only thing with that is I see Smith going to Denver to try and win with that defense.

I was just thinking about Alex Smith. To me, we'll just need someone to start for a short amount of time. It seems like top Qbs always get action early because of injury or poor play from the vet starter. The only way it could work is if we find a way to sign Brees, but that's not going to happen. I'm mentally prepared for whoever we draft to be the starter early.

As for the surrounding, I'm not too worried about that. We'll find some players this season and add more with the cap space and picks we have.

Archived