2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Standings:

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Rudolph 

Add in Falk at 4th and Mayfield 5th. Falk's ceiling, with his next level accuracy, is Drew Brees. He has other issues to work out, but he can drop the ball anywhere he wants on the field when the pocket is clean. Mayfield's upside is Russell Wilson. I consider him a borderline 1st/2nd at the moment. Falk too. Tons of options for the Jets next April. 

3 minutes ago, Spiel612 said:

Add in Falk at 4th and Mayfield 5th. Falk's ceiling, with his next level accuracy, is Drew Brees. He has other issues to work out, but he can drop the ball anywhere he wants on the field when the pocket is clean. Mayfield's upside is Russell Wilson. I consider him a borderline 1st/2nd at the moment. Falk too. Tons of options for the Jets next April. 

I want the first pick and a guy to seperate himself from the rest as the bonafide #1 or at least a Winston/Mariota scenario. It needs to be easy for this regime.

I DONT want Macagnan having to make a decision.  

Thats my ideal scenario from this season at least.

No guarantees Mac even gets to make the choice, but I understand that. Ideally, I want Josh Rosen and a proven offensive coach (Sean Payton, if he's fired). But it doesn't have to be a Payton, either. It can someone with a history of developing QB-friendly offenses -- Rob Chudzinski comes to mind. I could see Payton being more interested in Falk or Mayfield, as an example.

It's all very speculative at this point. I do know that I want an offensive-minded coach. 

Darnold is going to be that sure-fire #1 guy IMO, but I'm legitimately concerned that he won't declare. 

In the last 10 years, I'd say there have been 3 QB prospects who were redshirts, but we knew would be top 1-2 QB prospects by their RS-Soph year: Bradford, Luck, Winston. Obviously a small sample, but history tells us he's more likely to return to school than not. He's the type of player that will go #1 barring something catastrophic (remember, Bradford still went first despite playing 3 games in his final year). As fans, we should assume the unfortunate likelihood that Darnold stays in school. 

The question becomes who will establish himself as worthy of a top 3 pick? We all know about Rosen, but keep an eye out for the "off the field" stuff... forget pictures with girls and his outspokeness, scouts believe he has a misguided sense of entitlement and is borderline uncoachable. That will be something to watch. 

I'm personally a fan of Mason Rudolph, but I have no idea how that system impacts his draft stock or standing in NFL circles. Is he Goff or Petty? 

Josh Allen scares me. I think there's another guy that NFL scouts wanted him to be in Nick Fitzgerald, and it wouldn't surprise me if he rises to the top of the list if Darnold were to return to school.

I like Jackson as a college player, but not a huge fan of him in the pro-game. Falk, Mayfield look like 2nd rounders to me. A lot to watch going forward...

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

If, BIG IF, we don't land a top 3 pick to grab Darnold or Rosen, I'm all for taking a chance on Mason Rudolph or Baker Mayfield. Like both of them and think they can be solid QBs on the next level

I like them both. Mayfield has been my favorite college player since Oklahoma's run in 2015. If he was 2-3 inches taller I think he'd be a top 5 pick. The key for me will be his hand size and velocity. If his hands are at least 9.25 and he throws 53-55 mph he could turn out to be a good pro. 

10 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

The question becomes who will establish himself as worthy of a top 3 pick? We all know about Rosen, but keep an eye out for the "off the field" stuff... forget pictures with girls and his outspokeness, scouts believe he has a misguided sense of entitlement and is borderline uncoachable. That will be something to watch. 

I'm personally a fan of Mason Rudolph, but I have no idea how that system impacts his draft stock or standing in NFL circles. Is he Goff or Petty? 

What you said about Rosen is ridiculous but if scouts/media made a big deal about winston's crab legs, then they'll probably exaggerate or borderline lie about Rosen's attitude.  The people who associate entitlement or uncoachable with him are people who aren't happy about his politics.  His "off the field" stuff are that he believes in science & climate change, is a jew who's an atheist and doesn't like Trump.  Also, from everything I read, his teammates and coaches love him. 

Rudolph makes very basic reads from an air raid (lol) offense.  If Darnold isn't available, Rosen is the only second choice out there.  Picking anyone else would really stupid.  You pick Rudolph and you pray that he knows how to read nfl defenses.  Rosen's in a pro style offense, is just as accurate but smarter. 

Archived