2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd like to see us address OL in FA allowing us to grab skill players in the draft. I don't see very many skill players that we'd get excited about hitting FA, when there might be several OL guys hit FA. But no I wouldn't be mad at all if we drafted Williams just not with our 1st rounder.

I'd love to bring in Corey Linsley and Nate Solider but I don't think they end up hitting the open Market

Ideally if we can add some players on defense like a rusher and ILB/MLB depending on scheme maybe a CB as well, we can set our draft up to go QB, RB, and then BPA at that point. 

2009 was a team that was pretty stacked but I would like a rookie QB to step into a situation where he has some guys to get open but more importantly a legit running game and offensive line that can keep him off the turf. 

7 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I'd love to bring in Corey Linsley and Nate Solider but I don't think they end up hitting the open Market

I'm honestly OK with Beachum for another year and would prefer to avoid signing a LT unless it's a young, rising player which I don't foresee happening. Beachum has looked like a solid tackle this year and is only 28. Given the epidemic at LT around the league, "solid" is better than most. 

Ideally I think you draft a potential LT and develop him for a year. The position is not like what it used to be; in the past 90% of LTs were drafted in the first round, but with so much uncertainty at the position in the college ranks your seeing more guys come out of the 2nd-7th rounds to make an impact. Whether you draft a LT in round 1 or later, I think it's a position that can isn't in dire need of replacing. 

I think the Jets ideal strategy would be fill the gaps at CB and WR in free agency (this WR class is going to be deeeeeeeep) and prioritize "LOS" players (LT, EDGE) and offensive centerpieces (QB or Barkley/Guice) in the draft. 

I think before we start talking about spending a high draft pick on an edge rusher, we need to know whether or not we're sticking with the 3-4 base defense or whether we are switching to 4-3. And we won't know that for some time to come. If we switched, would we still need an edge rusher? Williams and Wilkerson can play both end and tackle, but would we switch both to DT or just one? Ealy could start for us in a 4-3 at RE. Then there are the LB's. Could we roll with Jenkins at SLB, Davis at MLB and Lee at WLB? 

We also have to see how the rest of this season goes. I doubt we are going to dominate defensively every week like we did against Miami, but in 2 of 3 games so far this season the defense has looked good. 

On 9/27/2017 at 3:37 PM, Dr.O said:

Cross Solder off the list.  He'll be 30 next season, no point signing him over Beachum.

Only guys worth pursuing in FA on the OL are Linsley or Richburg at C.

I think A-Rob or Landry would be a nice addition.  Landry, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Kearse.  That's a solid WR depth chart for 2018.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Cross Solder off the list.  He'll be 30 next season, no point signing him over Beachum.

Only guys worth pursuing in FA on the OL are Linsley or Richburg at C.

I think A-Rob or Landry would be a nice addition.  Landry, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Kearse.  That's a solid WR depth chart for 2018.

Think we'd move on from Kearse but yeah a Landry/Q/Anderson/AirDarius would be solid

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

I believe the draft is deep enough in QB's and RB's combined that I would not want to trade up at all. We need to keep all our picks. That is how you build a winner. We should take the best QB available when it is our turn to pick. UNLESS, Barkley is available to us and he is better than the QB's available. Then in Round 2, take a QB. Hell, take 2.

Even when we have the picks like this years extra third round pick we got, we ended up throwing it away. That is because our GM does not know talent. He brought in Veteran players, just enough to get us 5 or 6 wins, and knock us out of a franchise QB. Some people will say that is OK because it is a deep draft,  which is BS. The proof in what I say is why can't Petty or Hack even make the playing field. And we have to play a 39 year old QB, this is no knock against Fitz or McCown, its a knock against our GM and Bowles. There is one thing we all want, is our own home grown QB , not some rethread from another teams, which has been going on with this franchise before some of the people on this board were even born. At least I got to see Joe Namath & Kenny OBrien & even Richard Todd, all home grown draft picks. Bruce Springsteen, was right they were THE GLORY DAYS.

We just have to hope that they learn from past mistakes. Hackenberg was a reach from the get-go. Petty is a backup, at best. 

My main point was, there may not be much of a difference next year between the top QB taken and the sixth QB taken (like in 1983). There may be a huge difference by the time the college season ends, but maybe not. So I don't want to move up just because that is what is expected of us. Stay put and pick the right guy.

I think Landry is very possible. Him and Beckham are best friends and I'm sure he would love to be close by and we have money. Could be appealing if we're in the position to draft a good QB. Landry, Enunwa, ASJ, and possibly Anderson/Kearse/Stewart . That would help our rookie QB a lot. 

I am still not sold yet on Darnold, it is so hard to  judge him because  there is so much offensive talent on USC. They have a great O line, great running backs & outstanding receivers. I am not saying he is a bad player, it is to early to tell if he is the best QB in the draft. I much as I like Josh Rosen the same thing goes for him to early to make him our #1 pick. Let just hope Mac doesn't screw up this pick.

38 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Rosen is still firmly at the top of my list. Can’t wait to see how it pans out 

Yea I agree, sure looks like Rosen can do a lot more than Darnold, with a lot less talent on UCLA. One thing I am sure Rosen has a Joe Namath arm which has been missing on the Jets since Kenny O Brien.

Honestly starting to think Bobby is right and Darnold isn't gonna come out this year, had his ups and downs last night and hasn't looked as sharp as he did last year. Thinks it's gonna come down to Rosen, Barkley, and Mayfield.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

My 2018 NFL Draft Database. 

Over 1,000 players. Player name links to college player page. Height/Weight links to NFLDraftScout prospect page. Report links to my Word Document background and eventual evaluation. 

If you have questions/additions/suggestions/etc PM me.

Thanks!

Archived