2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The last thing we need is so be tricked into thinking we have a competitive team and not giving Hack playing time for at least 4-6 games. This QB question needs to be clearer before the offseason.

I think we will see them at some point but I'm 100% confident the team has made the decision to take a QB already. At which point I'd rather see what the rest of the team has. 

26 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I'm all for bringing in Cousins if he's available 

It's really not a bad move at all. We could pay him up front heavily before we need to pay anyone else. There is the possibility of having him for 10 more years over the gamble of the draft. If we decide we like our team and won't splurge in FA then I could see us throwing $50M year one to make the rest of the years cheaper. And then going BPA in the draft with all our picks. Macc has really put us in a fantastic spot in terms of the options available after the season. 

LOL we are not getting Cousins for 10 years and crippling the cap while doing so. He’s not 25 and not every QB is going to light it up at as they get older.

Giving 1/4 of the cap to Cousins is a bad idea no matter how you spin it.

beating two of the worst teams in football doesn’t change the entire outlook of the future of this team. There’s still too many holes to build a competitive, and more importantly, consistently competitive team to give out that contract.

and not playing Hackenberg this year is a joke. Yeah he sucks but you don’t draft players in the second round and give up on them before even playing a meaningful down. He needs to play at least 6 games to get a fair evaluation.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

LOL we are not getting Cousins for 10 years and crippling the cap while doing so. He’s not 25 and not every QB is going to light it up at as they get older.

Giving 1/4 of the cap to Cousins is a bad idea no matter how you spin it.

beating two of the worst teams in football doesn’t change the entire outlook of the future of this team. There’s still too many holes to build a competitive, and more importantly, consistently competitive team to give out that contract.

and not playing Hackenberg this year is a joke. Yeah he sucks but you don’t draft players in the second round and give up on them before even playing a meaningful down. He needs to play at least 6 games to get a fair evaluation.

Well first off I'm with you, I would not want to pay Cousins an average of $40M per year but if you are telling me $28M per year or 17% of our cap space then we'd be silly not to look into it.

5 years $140M (Stafford was 5 year $135M)

Year 1 - $50M cap hit

year 2 through 5 - $22.5M cap hit

That would make him the 6th highest paid QB after year 1 and that's before some of these young guys/vets get new deals that will beat that price. That number is also be if the contract was FULLY guaranteed. I'm not saying I want that but IF our team continues to play competitive and it doesn't look like we need to use the $80M on FA then we'd be silly not to look into the possibility.

I'm sure we'll get those 6 games to evaluate but I'm also pretty sure we are taking a QB regardless of what Hack shows at this point. I'm just saying I'd rather take the known quantity than roll the dice in the draft. We are hoping the ceiling is high for a draft pick but if we're being honest if someone told you "hey this player is going to be Cousins caliber but the rest of the players are a coin flip" then I'm sure our fan base would want us to draft the Cousins caliber player. If we pass on Cousins then I'm 100% on taking a QB in the draft but I think it would be a mistake not to look into him.

This team is not as bad as was made out to be in the preseason, I'd take this team over last years team all day. I said this all offseason, our team will be better than last year purely because guys are trying. Too many players gave up last year. 

There’s no way of knowing when we will be picking or who will declare for the draft at this point. Everyone is on the same page in saying McCown isn’t the QBOTF. Can it be Hackenberg? Petty? We have no idea of knowing for sure, but we don’t have enough info to say “yes”. 

Chances are the Jets will still be drafting high. Rosen is likely to go top 3, but I think there will be a few guys who make it up to the Mahomes/Watson tier when it’s all said and done. Just have to let this all play out.

Am I the only one who wants to see Petty over Hack? I know we spent a 2nd on Hack, but Petty looked way better in preseason. Based on the eye test, Petty should be the first to get meaningful playing time. Anybody agree?

Onto another topic...

maybe we don't need a RB? Spend some $$/draft pick on the OL & I see what Powell/McGuire combo can do. They were impressive Sunday. Maybe QB round 1 & WR round 2. Barkley would be nice to have, but maybe we don't need him & go with a 2 headed running attack. Food for thought.

I think we have seen enough of Petty and Hackenberg. Petty can be a solid NFL backup, I think. Hackenberg will be out of the league in 2-3 years. 

Whether we win many more games or finish 2-14, the bottom line is we are seeing a lot of young talent playing important roles this season. McCown is doing a decent job of not completely sucking the life out of the offense, and Morton is doing a decent job of focusing on the running game, screen passes and the occasional deep threat to Anderson. Works for me.

2 hours ago, Jetfan37+ said:

Am I the only one who wants to see Petty over Hack? I know we spent a 2nd on Hack, but Petty looked way better in preseason. Based on the eye test, Petty should be the first to get meaningful playing time. Anybody agree?

I think it's splitting hairs, my guess is the staff has decided the QBOTF is not on this roster. If that is the decision that is made then we need to play the best QB even if that is McCown so we can grade the rest of the team.

i have no problem with mccown playing. we are looking to grow and hes going out there and throwing the ball well enough. he also has been turning it over much either outside of some flukes last week. when we are out of it completely then maybe switch it up. mccown has earned the right to play. hes been a hell of a leader too. bowles has done a much better job thus far. hes called better defenses too. odds are, this is the management and coaching staff going into next year. 

On 10/2/2017 at 9:20 AM, jetskid007 said:

Darnold won't declare. In all likelihood we will miss out on Rosen. Rudolph/Mayfield will be in discussion, but honestly the QB who fits our offense best is Luke Falk. 

I pegged Falk in all my mocks last year.  Love his game even from that gimmick offense.  His accuracy is spot on and I heard the coach has given him freedom at the line to make his own calls.  I would take Falk in a heartbeat.  

I do love me some Lamar Jackson though too.  I see a Vick/Tyrod hybrid out of him.  Electric legs, strong arm, nice deep ball, and a leadership type personality.  If he can just be average throwing from the pocket he'll be excellent on the next level.

If we come out of next years draft with Falk or Jackson I'd be happy.

People need to relax with forcing Hack/Petty on the field.  If they were 0-4 the talks would already be in motion most likely but we're not we're 2-2 with a good chance to get to 3-2.  We will see Hack/Petty when the time is right which is not right now.  I wanted a top pick but right now if we can get past CLE we have a week 5 game at home against a struggling NE team.  It probably goes all down hill from there but I know I'll be pumped to stick it to NE at home and go for 4-2.

The team is playing well and enjoy it even if it's with a 38 yr old QB.  

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Dr.O said:

I'm starting to get the feeling we could very well end up 4-12 or 5-11 and miss out on Rosen and Darnold but that's okay to me Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson, and Allen all look like they have upside to be good QBs(albeit some risk).

No question that is exactly what is going to happen, with all the lousy teams in the NFL & good teams want to replace their aging QB's it is going to be tough to get our pick. Teams like SF 49ers, Chicago Bears, Colts, Miami, Cleveland Browns, LA Chargers.  Mac brought in vet players from all over the league, and our young draft picks can't even make the playing field. Mac has been given a free ride after all his second round have failed, I really hate Mac with a passion. He get no credit for drafting Williams or Adams, the water boy could have made those picks.  As hard as it is to believe some of those teams that I just mentioned are worst than the Jets.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

People need to relax with forcing Hack/Petty on the field.  If they were 0-4 the talks would already be in motion most likely but we're not we're 2-2 with a good chance to get to 3-2.  We will see Hack/Petty when the time is right which is not right now.  I wanted a top pick but right now if we can get past CLE we have a week 5 game at home against a struggling NE team.  It probably goes all down hill from there but I know I'll be pumped to stick it to NE at home and go for 4-2.

The team is playing well and enjoy it even if it's with a 38 yr old QB.  

Well. Said. I am also warming up to Falk as well although the Air Raid offense has never translated to the NFL, ever. Falk may be the guy, or even Mahomes well see. Its certainly going to be interesting going into the draft. Odds are we will still be picking top 10 but who knows. This jets team is amped up and I love it. 

Archived