2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

On 10/2/2017 at 9:20 AM, jetskid007 said:

Darnold won't declare. In all likelihood we will miss out on Rosen. Rudolph/Mayfield will be in discussion, but honestly the QB who fits our offense best is Luke Falk. 

I just watched some tape on Falk, Impressive. Gonna watch more but he looks good. Love the fact he's a senior. You may be onto something here.

14 hours ago, doumeyer said:

No question that is exactly what is going to happen, with all the lousy teams in the NFL & good teams want to replace their aging QB's it is going to be tough to get our pick. Teams like SF 49ers, Chicago Bears, Colts, Miami, Cleveland Browns, LA Chargers.  Mac brought in vet players from all over the league, and our young draft picks can't even make the playing field. Mac has been given a free ride after all his second round have failed, I really hate Mac with a passion. He get no credit for drafting Williams or Adams, the water boy could have made those picks.  As hard as it is to believe some of those teams that I just mentioned are worst than the Jets.

Idk man, Mac's moves have all looked pretty solid. Sheldon trade was great, not sure why you can't give Mac credit for the 2 safeties when you lost your mind. Maye > Cook looks like the right move with McGuire and Powell playing well. And all the vets that were cut are either severely under performing or are still FA.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Idk man, Mac's moves have all looked pretty solid. Sheldon trade was great, not sure why you can't give Mac credit for the 2 safeties when you lost your mind. Maye > Cook looks like the right move with McGuire and Powell playing well. And all the vets that were cut are either severely under performing or are still FA.

Agreed, not to mention shell looking like a very solid right tackle who unfortunately was hurt last week. Beachum seems to be a good move although he didn't look great against Jax. Robby anderson was a great get and is improving every week. Kony ealy also looks like a great pickup. Macc has obviously had his misses but every great GM does. If you look at everything macc has done as a whole he's actually been quite good, some of the best moves he's made have just flown under the radar a little bit. 

Demario Davis for Calvin Pryor is also looking like a steal. I absolutely love the Elijah McGuire selection. And the Seattle will continue to look good as we head closer to the draft.

Dare I say, things are looking up.

As for the QB, I still love Lamar Jackson. I think a double-threat QB could be perfect on a team that does not have a ton of offensive weapons.

I watched game tape of Mayfield, kid can play without question. I don't like the height, but when you watch his tape you dont notice the size you notice a kid that can throw and escape to throw and hes excellent at both. I hate the off the field stuff but the more I watch and the more post game interviews I have seen make me think less and less of a Manziel comparison which is a good thing. He'll fall because of his size but you get this kid a decent line and he can do the rest. The kid looks like a competitor and I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. Hopefully he learns from the off the field stuff and continues to mature because the ability to play at a high level is all there.

For this organization we have to continue with this new culture change and  you have to make sure who ever you bring in the play QB is part of that culture. Jury still out on this one, but theres not many holes in his physical game. No matter where we draft next year, there is going to be opportunities to grab a QB who can help this team.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I watched game tape of Mayfield, kid can play without question. I don't like the height, but when you watch his tape you dont notice the size you notice a kid that can throw and escape to throw and hes excellent at both. I hate the off the field stuff but the more I watch and the more post game interviews I have seen make me think less and less of a Manziel comparison which is a good thing. He'll fall because of his size but you get this kid a decent line and he can do the rest. The kid looks like a competitor and I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. Hopefully he learns from the off the field stuff and continues to mature because the ability to play at a high level is all there.

For this organization we have to continue with this new culture change and  you have to make sure who ever you bring in the play QB is part of that culture. Jury still out on this one, but theres not many holes in his physical game. No matter where we draft next year, there is going to be opportunities to grab a QB who can help this team.

I completely agree with you on Mayfield. I probably wouldn’t draft him in the first because of his size but if he has decent hand size (at least 9.25) I would love to take him in the second or third. He has a tough schedule ahead with 3 top 25 teams (TCU, Okla St, W.Virginia)and a couple of others that received votes (Kansas St, Texas Tech) so his draft stock will depend a lot on how he does the rest of the season. Last season he broke Russell Wilson’s FBS passer efficiency rating and this season he’s 30 potions higher

On 10/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, Jetfan37+ said:

Lamar's skinny frame scares me in the NFL. Running is a BIG part of his game. Can he withstand a 16 game schedule? How many NFL type hits can he take?

It's certainly something to think about but he's only 20.  You have to think by the time he is ready he'll be in the 220's come the combine.  I mean that is plenty big to handle some hits.  I'm not expecting him to run as much in the NFL and certainly not look for contact like Dak Prescott when running.  Watson is about that size and you don't hear those concerns about him.

If he runs smart he'll be fine if he keeps taking shots then it could be an issue.  Mariota has been fine running even though he broke his leg and has a hammy issue.  The leg break was a sack from behind not a designed run and hammy's happen.  Mariota runs smart for the most part and I think Jackson can too.

His issue is keeping his eyes down field when moving the pocket and accuracy from the pocket on the quick throws.

What is everyone's thoughts on Garoppolo? I liked him coming out of college and I'm leaning towards preferring him over these college QBs. I'm thinking a FA period where we get him and another starter then go into the draft picking best player available plus another QB at some point in the 3-5th round would be a solid offseason. 

51 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Garoppolo? I liked him coming out of college and I'm leaning towards preferring him over these college QBs. I'm thinking a FA period where we get him and another starter then go into the draft picking best player available plus another QB at some point in the 3-5th round would be a solid offseason. 

If he's a FA then yea I have no problem with signing him. The trouble is, I believe Brady will either retire after this season or Garoppolo will be franchised tagged for a year and potentially ride the bench. I really think the Patriots view him as the next QB and won't let him walk for nothing. This would mean a team would have to trade for him, I don't believe the Patriots would trade him to the Jets.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Mayfield is intriguing especially if we keep the coaching staff. I think Morton could do well with him and his style.

I really like his passion, he's a fun QB to watch. He feels like the most Jets-y QB in this draft, and that scares me haha. 

Saw a Pro Football Focus thread in NFL General listing the top 5 and bottom 5 and each position across the league through week 4. I believe it's a minimum 25% snaps? Only 2 players that made it on for us were Wesley Johnson (graded as 2nd worst C) and Darron Lee (graded as the worst LB). These are probably the 2 biggest question marks most fans have had through 4 weeks so it makes sense. Still a lot of football left to play so hopefully we see growth from these 2. 

Archived