2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Darnold didn't look much better.

He did have two INT early and no passing TDs (although he ran for one) but he still passed for 289 yds on 23-33 in a 49-31 victory. Allen was 23-40 for 174 O TDs, 2 INTs in a 24-3 loss. 

4 hours ago, Rich51 said:

He did have two INT early and no passing TDs (although he ran for one) but he still passed for 289 yds on 23-33 in a 49-31 victory. Allen was 23-40 for 174 O TDs, 2 INTs in a 24-3 loss. 

36 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Rosen play tonight. I missed Browning but someone on here said he didn't look too good. 

The thing that always bothers me about So Cal. QB's is that they are always surrounded by great talent , huge O lines , great RB'S & WR's.   Carson Palmer is the only So Cal. QB to become a NFL star in the last forty years or so. All I know about Rosen is from my friends & relatives in North & South Cal. they all said the kid is the real deal. And he has  much stronger arm than Darnold, just because a guy has a strong arm that doesn't mean he is a great QB. I am sure we will find out for our selves, this year.

6 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The thing that always bothers me about So Cal. QB's is that they are always surrounded by great talent , huge O lines , great RB'S & WR's.   Carson Palmer is the only So Cal. QB to become a NFL star in the last forty years or so. All I know about Rosen is from my friends & relatives in North & South Cal. they all said the kid is the real deal. And he has  much stronger arm than Darnold, just because a guy has a strong arm that doesn't mean he is a great QB. I am sure we will find out for our selves, this year.

I agree about the Southern Cal QBs in the past, but at this time it's pretty different because the talent is not there. Darnold is a good QB, I saw some things he did really well but he's still not my #1. I don't trust USC talent, but he's probably Palmer 2.0. I wouldn't hate the pick as of now. 

As a UCLA fan, I like what Rosen does when he is healthy. This will be his 3rd Offensive coordinator in 3 years. Played with his injured leg and injured his shoulder. Oline was bad and the ground game couldn't get going. UCLA's WRs drop % was 12% high than USC's. Last season wasn't a good year to judge him. At one point Josh Allen was my number 1 until I went back and watched more Rosen games that I didn't see. The team loves him and he has owned up to his own mistakes on the field. He talks a little trash, but I don't hate that. 

I felt bad for Josh Allen yesterday. He maybe had about 2 bad throws all game, but the play calling was horrible. I love his mechanics. Quick release, moves well, and can make all the throws. I'm not giving up on him yet. 

I will gladly embrace any of Rosen, Darnold or Allen if they end up our pick next year. It will be exciting. 

But I want to know why Lamar Jackson does not get enough love. Is it because of the Bowl game last year? Is it because people don't believe his style will translate to NFL success?

Mariota's game translates well to the NFL. Why couldn't Jackson's? Michael Vick's game translated to the NFL.

Maybe we don't have to build an elite O-line with a guy who can escape trouble as well as Jackson can. 

I love the fact we are tracking these QB's so early on, but I think we should be including Jackson with the Rosen, Allen and Darnold group.

I agree with the Jackson watch, I don't have any favorite at this point. I'm just going to sit back and watch this season and dissect whoever declares. The nice thing is we'll have that $80M to go out and snag supporting players before the draft. If we can land a top 3 pick we may be happy not trading up and holding all our picks.

On 9/1/2017 at 7:48 AM, rickyt31 said:
On 8/31/2017 at 2:55 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Please take him.

Too soon dude. 

I just said that cause I'm a USC fan and the thought of Darnold going to the Jets makes me uneasy. Can you blame me? lol

I actually like Rosen (despite him being a rival). Personality wise he rubbed me the wrong way in the past like he just seemed like the stereotypical jock. Being highly recruited, starting right away, and having success in Los Angeles can do that to you though. Now, from what I've read it sounds like he's being more like Darnold and not doing as much talking and just putting his head down and working which is good.

5 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

My guy Rosen showed out tonight.

I think it was a mixed bag. There was good and bad.

Like that comeback was crazy, but he didn't look great the first 3 quarters.

To be fair he hadn't played in a real game since October though. Some rust is to be expected and his receivers and o-line weren't making things easy for him.

In the 4th quarter he played really well for the most part, but those TDs before the final one were lucky. The deep pass to Darren Andrews was horribly underthrown and should've been picked, but went right through the defensive backs hands. The next one on the roll out was a desperation heave into the end zone off his back foot that was just asking to be picked off. I'm pretty sure that Theo Howard who caught it wasn't even the receiver that it was intended for. The ball came out funny and barely made it into the end zone. This was probably due to the defensive lineman that was barring down on him hitting his throwing arm as he released it. It looked like to me that the pass was supposed to go to the other receiver in the area in the back of the end zone. It worked out as Howard came to the ball to catch it on his knees while the guy covering him ended up getting picked by his teammate and the other UCLA receiver as they got in front of him and blocked his path to make a play on the ball. It was a crazy play, but really just very lucky.

Not trying to take away from the comeback. It was an awesome game and Rosen showed his mettle, but context is important.

@TheRealMcCoy  lol I had a feeling you were a USC fan. It's cool . I'm a Bruin fan/up coming student. I like Darnold, so I wouldn't hate the pick. I just catch myself having to defend Rosen harder than I should have because a lot of people were just reading his stats and don't realize what happened.

Rosen wasn't bad for 3Qs .It was the surrounding. Even the announcers kept showing/saying how no one could get open. He was hit 11 times in the first half. Ground game was just as bad as it was last season which was ranked 127th out of 128 teams. Once when Wilson got going, then things finally opened up for him and the oline started protecting him. There are some passes that were pretty lucky, but Darnold had a lot of those last season and he got all the hype. Only maybe about 4 throws out of 59, but notice he wasn't forcing it in double teams, moved well in the pocket, read the defense, and scanned the field instead of locking his eyes on one target. He have to keep it up, but he is showing all the skills to be a top QB. I'm not going to bash anyone who likes Darnold more though.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

My friends in Cal. are 100% right Rosen is the real deal.  Rosen has some arm, I don't want any body else. Lets hope for a 0-16 season. Let start the MOCK drafts now.

LOL At the mock drafts. I hope we do pick him if he keeps this up.

9 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

LOL At the mock drafts. I hope we do pick him if he keeps this up.

Rosen plays with a sub par team. Their O line is going to get him killed like last year. I taped that game last night, and watch it twice. People are right about him he sure showed he has NFL talent. And besides that he could be the best Jewish QB in the NFL since Sid Luckman with the Bears in the late forties. I don't want to get to hyper on the kid he still has things to learn. He really impressed me last night. For once my Liberal relatives in California were right about something, they said Rosen was the real deal. 

Archived