2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

These QB rankings change so much during the season so it's hard to tell. But as we all know we should target a QB in the Top 3.

Darnold is still 1 on my list. No he isn't putting up the numbers Rosen is, but I think he molds better to a pro system.

Rosen has impressed me so far. He has all the talent it's just injury and maturity that holds him back. I think there's no question he declares, but his maturity will be an issue for me.

Allen I struggle to put in this top tier. He looked awful against Iowa just a week ago. He looks the part and has the talent but can't seem to do it. We have that already with Hackenberg. Allen imo would be a wasted pick that's too much like Hack.

Jackson is last on my list bc of so many questions he has. How good is his accuracy and arm really? Hard to tell when he's always on the run our throwing to wide open WRs. These are the hardest guys for me to judge. I see a lot of Marquita in him, so I'd be all for that. But there's a lot of risk involved too.

For me its Rosen. He has really matured well. I loved his past weeks press conference. I could see him not only wanting to be here but also being able to handle the media. Just keep your liberal BS to yourself or whatever his views are. Stick to football and this kid will be a really good NFL QB. 

Darnold is great too. Delivery isnt as clean as Rosens, but he is an extremely accurate passer. I would be ecstatic with either of these though I think Darnold stays in school if the Jets select one overall. I want the guy that has the stones to play here and who wants to be our guy. Sanchez wanted to be great just was too fragile from the neck up to do it. 

Josh Rosen is the likely guy for us if we do end with the worst record in football which is possible but SF and CLE are both going to be tough to out tank. We might have to go winless. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

For me its Rosen. He has really matured well. I loved his past weeks press conference. I could see him not only wanting to be here but also being able to handle the media. Just keep your liberal BS to yourself or whatever his views are. Stick to football and this kid will be a really good NFL QB. 

Darnold is great too. Delivery isnt as clean as Rosens, but he is an extremely accurate passer. I would be ecstatic with either of these though I think Darnold stays in school if the Jets select one overall. I want the guy that has the stones to play here and who wants to be our guy. Sanchez wanted to be great just was too fragile from the neck up to do it. 

Josh Rosen is the likely guy for us if we do end with the worst record in football which is possible but SF and CLE are both going to be tough to out tank. We might have to go winless. 

We should do what Sonny ( as in money ) Werblin, did in 1965 for the Jets he drafted the two best QB's in the draft  that year, Heisman trophy winner John Huarte and of course the great Joe Namath. Then he hired a great coach Weeb Ewbank.  Look  what we got at GM & head coach and at  at QB.

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Definitely on board with Rosen. I actually agree with his politics (mostly), but that's not why I like him. I like the way he actually conveys the information. It shows me that he's put thought into what he says. It shows me that he processes information well. Essentially, he's smart -- even if you disagree with his conclusions you can tell he used a sound form of logic to get to where he ended up. The thought process makes me think he'll be able to process other forms of information well -- ideally the football kind. 

But ignore that for a second, it's what you said about his improvement from year-to-year that has me sold. The tape between sophomore and freshman year is night and day. He looks pretty darn freaking good so far this year. It's not about his numbers (which are obviously good). His reads and decision making under center (instead of primarily in shotgun like his frosh year) are hugely improved. If he can significantly improve against pressure/the blitz he's going to be the total package. It's his last remaining weakness. And I think his floor is much much much higher than Darnold's. 

Rosen would be my top choice at the moment, something about USC and the level of playmakers they have scares me away from Darnold. I think Jackson is going to draw a lot of eyes, he's tearing it up. If we miss out on Rosen and the trend in performances continue I think Jackson would need consideration.

The only thing that worries me about Rosen is the durability.  But watching him lead that comeback vs Texas A&M was a thing of beauty, the composure he had was awesome.  

Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are the top on my list, one of those 2 is going to start for us next season. We should have a top 2 draft pick IMO, our roster is so bad I just can't see us winning more than 2 games maybe. 

No thanks on Jackson. The mechanics are all completely out of whack. Let's not try to reinvent the wheel here. Jackson will be a good fit on a team that has the time to groom him. That's not New York, clearly. I see the Vick comparisons, but I could also easily see the later-career RGIII comparisons when you also consider that he has the ability to make some serious big-boy throws but definitely plays in an offense that will not translate well into the NFL. 

Baker Mayfield looked pretty good against OSU.  By the end of the season he will be in the conversation with Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson.  Allen, I think, is going to really have to light it up if he wants to be in the mix as well.

23 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Darnold is my number 1 based off of the fact that I think if we had the ability to draft him we'd be really attractive to a top offensive mind.

I don't think this is the right way to approach the situation. The great offensive mind won't be worth much if we choose the wrong QB. First and foremost, we have to strike gold with the QB. So if a couple of guys are better than Darnold, don't take Darnold just because of the perception that he could attract a brighter OC. That is backwards thinking. That's Jets thinking. We need to start disassociating ourselves from bad decisions.

I also like the idea of picking two QB's in next year's draft. Make DOUBLY sure that we have our starter. Do what the Cowboys did when they took Troy Aikman, and then later on selected Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft (just in case). Do what the Redskins did when they took RGIII and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

I am definitely on the Lamar Jackson train. If he takes more time to develop than some of the others, I'd be willing to wait. He is a No. 1 QB and No. 1 RB all in one package. That type of talent does not come around often. On a team devoid of offensive talent, I'd love to get Jackson. Hell, we might even be able to land him with the early pick in Round 2. We could conceivably pick two QB's early, or pick Barkley or a dominant LT and then Jackson. 

I don't think we should shut the door on anything at this point.

Archived