2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

Imo, if  we draft a QB with the first pick he has to start.  

I think our competition for the first pick will be SF, Cinncy and Buffalo. Kizer looks like the real deal in Cleveland and Jacksonville's defense and run game should win a lot more games than we do. If Luck misses most of the season, Indy could also be in line for the first pick but they would still have Luck. Other teams that might draft first round QBs will probably be drafting between 15-30. Teams like the Chargers, Pittsburgh, Miami, Washington, Arizona, New Orleans should all win 7 or more games. 

SF might have their heart set on Cousins but i feel they would take Darnold or Rosen if given the opportunity. Cinncy looks terrible but  they do have AJ Green so there is a good chance they turn things around. Burfict will help their defense and I think once Mixon is put ahead of Hill, their offense will improve. Buffalo looked like a playoff team against us so I don't think we'll have more wins than they do but going against the D of Carolina might bring them down to earth

San Fran is the only team I see as a threat record wise, but Buffalo is a threat because of a number of picks they can trade up with. I'm actually rooting for Buff and the chiefs to do better than expected to put them out of range. Our schedule is really tough. At some point, injuries will kick in and potentially make our chances of winning more than 2-3 games slimmer.

We need Rosen and Darnold to light it up til their stock is too high to say no to the draft.So if we fall out of the #2 range, we still have a shot at someone like Allen or Jackson. I have high hopes for this class. It's starting to feel like one of those rare classes with 2-3 great QBs coming out of it. Like the 1983 or 2004 draft.

Yeah, I think 3-4 of his passes weren't in tight windows. Rosen did make some poor decisions, but this game would be a blowout if it wasn't for him. I'm going to be bouncing around on the Georgia State Vs Penn, Wyoming vs Oregon, and USC vs Texas. 

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Rosen with his first 2 picks today. He still looked accurate, his receivers had a few drops. His team around him just doesn't look very good.

Should be interesting to see the narrative on him come draft time, because even in his epic comeback he should've thrown a couple.

Id actually be all in on Lamar Jackson if I knew the Jets were willing to try a 21st century type offense and let him grow through the struggles. I just can't see them actually trying that so what would be the point? Not to mention Lamar is probably going to battle injuries for most of his career, he's certainly no Cam Newton in terms of size.

1 hour ago, Akomplice said:

Should be interesting to see the narrative on him come draft time, because even in his epic comeback he should've thrown a couple.

Id actually be all in on Lamar Jackson if I knew the Jets were willing to try a 21st century type offense and let him grow through the struggles. I just can't see them actually trying that so what would be the point? Not to mention Lamar is probably going to battle injuries for most of his career, he's certainly no Cam Newton in terms of size.

He's an athletic freak. He's the closest thing we've seen to Mike Vick I just worry that he's gonna take big shots and get hurt.

Lamar Jackson deserves that Mike Vick comparison, but I think if you ask the Falcons Vick didn't quite live up to being the first overall pick. 

And Jackson shouldn't be. I don't even think he should be in the top half of the first round -- or that he should declare this year. He's TEEMING with NFL risk -- lanky frame, built like a wide receiver, open to huge shots, trash mechanics, often in a one-read shotgun offense, plays for one of the best playcallers at the college level in one of the highest efficiency offenses in the game. 

His arm talent and athleticism are absolutely tantalizing. He is 100% the wrong choice for the Jets. Lamar Jackson won't be any good in the NFL unless he's developed the right way and by the right organization. 

The Jets are not that organization.

Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph. To me, that's the the clear-cut top three right now with Falk and Mayfield on the outside as fringe first rounders. After that, I have Jackson and Will Grier as other possible NFL starters. 

We should focus on the first three. 

I fell asleep on accident and woke up to the end of the USC game. I have to catch up to see what happened. 

My favorite thing about Rosen and Darnold is how they bounce back after bad plays. They are not fussing or even showing bad body language. At least 4 of Rosen's passes we dropped and his personality never broke. He was cool. I've seen Darnold do the same. This QB draft is starting to narrow down.

21 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Imo, if  we draft a QB with the first pick he has to start.  

I think our competition for the first pick will be SF, Cinncy and Buffalo. Kizer looks like the real deal in Cleveland and Jacksonville's defense and run game should win a lot more games than we do. If Luck misses most of the season, Indy could also be in line for the first pick but they would still have Luck. Other teams that might draft first round QBs will probably be drafting between 15-30. Teams like the Chargers, Pittsburgh, Miami, Washington, Arizona, New Orleans should all win 7 or more games. 

SF might have their heart set on Cousins but i feel they would take Darnold or Rosen if given the opportunity. Cinncy looks terrible but  they do have AJ Green so there is a good chance they turn things around. Burfict will help their defense and I think once Mixon is put ahead of Hill, their offense will improve. Buffalo looked like a playoff team against us so I don't think we'll have more wins than they do but going against the D of Carolina might bring them down to earth

Just the though of us not having a top pick in next years draft would really drive me over the edge, after playing  a guy at QB who will be 39 this year. I do like Rosen & Darnold, the only differences is Rosen does have the stronger arm.  Darnold is playing with a lot more talent than Rosen. UCLA O line is going to get Rosen killed they are that bad. Another big question is will Rosen applied for the draft after is Junior year? His father is a surgeon, and being Jewish will he drop out of college?

Both have been a little disappointing. As others have pointed out, Rosen makes a lot of bad passes and is lucky he doesn't have a lot more INTs. I think they have him throw too many passes. In the two games I watched he passed 115 times. That's crazy.

Darnold has 6 INTs. Last night was the first time I was able to watch him (last week's game wasn't  shown because of hurricane coverage). His first INT went right through the receivers hands but the next one was a bad throw and he followed that up with what should have been a third but was dropped by the defender. Texas' D did put on a show and he did have a number of dropped passes plus he won, so I guess we have to see how the rest can of the season works out.

I don't think we can"t go wrong with either one, Rosen Or Darnold.  It is funny with all the talent USC has had on their roster the last 7 years, you wonder why this teams struggles so much. It had nothing to do with Darnold, but they are loaded with talent, maybe it is the coaching.

Worth noting with both Rosen and Darnold: stop evaluating them based on who they are today. They're expected to continue to both grow as players. The questions are: how much will they grow? What's the overall ceiling? How likely are they to reach that ceiling? 

When you answer those questions, it becomes a lot easier to see what makes these two top prospects. Rosen still needs to get better about "surviving to the next play" in terms of knowing when it's time to give up on a play, but he's as good of a rhythm passer in college today. Once he starts feeling it, he just starts slinging it. That comes with it's own drawbacks, but also with a whole ton of exciting perks.  

Darnold's a hero. He's like Daunte Culpepper early in his career. Taking that somewhat raw lump of clay and determining if he can be something more akin to Aaron Rodgers or Troy Aikman -- that's the question. 

I actually think, despite some of the concerns, that Mason Rudolph might be the safest pick. I think he has a career somewhere between Alex Smith and Matt Ryan. 

Archived