2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I've been the biggest Hack supporter, but the odds are still stacked against him. Best case scenario is he shows good in game action this year to give Maccagnan a pause. Maybe instead of mortgaging significant draft capital for a QB, go out and get another veteran stopgap (maybe Alex Smith, Josh McCown again) and re-evaluate from there. Who knows, maybe it clicks for Hackenberg and he wins the job, or at the very least shows enough in 2018 offseason to give the Jets brass confidence that he'll be ready for 2019. 

Ultimately, we should all be rooting for Bryce or Hack playing their tails off enough for the Jets to feel confident about them being able to become a franchise QB. Anything can happen in this league... Kirk Cousins didn't get his opportunity to be a full-time starter until his 4th year, age 27 season (Bryce will be entering his 4th year and will be 27). Maybe Hackenberg can take a Rodgers/Rivers/Schaub/Pennington like career trajectory and go from barely playing to being a solid, hopefully spectacular player. Anything can happen, and I won't write anyone off until it doesn't. 

I have no problem hanging onto Hack but there is no way I pass on a QB in the draft because of anything I see from Hack these last few games. If we can trade a draft class to get up for a QB (any of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson) then I pull that trigger. Worst case scenario is you have two good QBs or two bad QBs and we are back where we started. 

26 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m concerned with trading up. We literally lack at every major position QB, edge, T, and CB. The most important positions in the game and we don’t really have any.

If we are trading up, it better be from inside the top 10 and for Rosen

We have no logical plan for qb next year so anything is possible.  Heck, Woody could quit his embassy **** and come back to Jets just before we blink.

QB at Bowl tiers.

Disappointment-

Mike White vs Georgia State.

Josh Allen vs Central Michigan. Or Not Playing.

Ryan Finley vs Arizona State.

Somewhat Thrilling-

Josh Rosen vs Kansas State.  KSU is up and down team. Hard to know for sure.

Kent Benkert vs NAVY. VA needs to slow down Navy's run game to allow Benkert to have enough opportunity to showoff.

Luke Falk vs Michigan State. MSU defense is solid but melt down too quick for some comfort.

Clayton Thorson vs Kentucky.  UK offense will burn a lot of game time.

Jarrett Stidham vs Central Florida. UCF is undefeated team. Cool.

Fantastic Thrilling-

Baker Mayfield in CFBP. Oklahoma's defense is average while the rest of playoff teams are above average. Whoa!!!

Drew Lock vs Texas. Ouch!

Mason Rudolph vs Virginia Tech.  Oh mercy!

Sam Darnold vs Ohio State. Quality Test.

Lamar Jackson vs Mississippi State.  MSU is strong defense but running QB always wrecks everything. umm.

Slider- Josh Allen/Wyoming:  We were on the Allen hype train more than a year ago but the junior performed poorly this season and looked pedestrian at times.  There were several reasons for this; the exodus of just about all his skill players into the NFL, a terrible offensive line and  poor play by the quarterback himself. I projected Allen as the first pick of the 2018 draft in May with a choice held by the New York Jets.  Ironically I still believe the Jets will select Allen, though it will be as the first dozen picks close out next April.

Interesting take. Obviously we have a long ways to go before the draft, but this is the third media member in the past month to connect Josh Allen to the Jets. 

Oh man.  It is really difficult to identity which draftee has played center for more than 2 years.  So far, Frank Ragnow, Eric Gallo and Jake Bennett may play Center for at least 2 straight seasons. Both Gallo and Bennett are listed as 6 2.  Damn.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/08/why-next-nfl-draft-qb-class-still-needs-time-to-distinguish-itself/

“Darnold has performed the best in big situations. He creates and just makes plays happen. He just has that ‘it’ factor more than the other two. Rosen has what you look for in an NFL quarterback in terms of in-the-pocket, progression reads, fast eyes, making throws, anticipating, accuracy. He is the most technically sound, refined quarterback of the three.”

I am not sure who will Browns take but I have no qualms with taking the leftover.

Allen had the worst season statistically of the three. He had just 13 touchdowns and six interceptions and was injured. Several of the evaluators said Allen is not a plug-and-play starter. He would benefit from some time on the bench.

“I would love to take Josh Allen if I had a veteran quarterback toward the end of his career, so I can groom him,” Dilfer said. “I think Josh Allen would be the perfect draft pick behind Eli Manning if the Eli Manning stuff didn’t blow up this year. If they are really in the market for a new quarterback and Eli is going to hit the street, then that new quarterback is going to have to play early. I don’t want Josh Allen being the quarterback who plays early.”

It does not sound like the ideal plan for Jets at all.

The combination of quotes make me want Giants to take Allen at #2 so Jets could trade up with 49ers for either Rosen or Darnold. That is a purely selfish plan made by ME.

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

For Broncos that is the equivalent of taking Paxton Lynch again. 

Agreed but I think Elway likes his big QBs, I don't believe for a minute that Mayfield is on their big board. The Cardinals just feels like a team that wants Lamar Jackson, I have no basis for that but it's hard for me to think Mayfield is going to play on the Cards.

I think we need to come pout of this draft with a good running back. With 3 picks in the top 75 more than likely that should make it very possible.

I'll be happy if one of these RBs are a Jet after Day 1 and 2 of the draft.

Barkley, Love, Chubb, Johnson, Guice, Michel, Harris, Jones.

For those who think high picks aren't rewarded with top talent here's a list of top RBs picked in the 1st 2 Rounds in recent years. I will like to say that I think Round 3 is as late as I'd like to go for drafting a RB for us, so I'll include 3rd Rounders as well.

Leo Fournette: 4th overall

Christian McCaffrey: 8th overall

Dalvin Cook: 41st overall

Joe Mixon: 48th overall

All very good young careers so far with big roles for their teams. Cook very well could be the best of them all the way he looked pre getting injured.

Round 3 in this years drafted featured 2 really good guys. Alvin Kamara can be a star as well as Kareem Hunt who started out hot but has cooled down. The 3rd Round also featured D'onta Foreman and James Conner who haven't done much for their teams.

Zeke Elliott: 4th overall

Derrick Henry: 45th overall

Elliott was almost the MVP as a rookie and when he's played this year looks like a star still. And Henry is starting to really look good with more touches.

3rd Round in this draft was CJ Prosise and Kenyan Drake. Drake is showing his talent now and Prosise always seems injured but has looked ok when healthy.

Todd Gurley: 10th overall

Melvin Gordon: 15th overall

TJ Yeldon: 36th overall

Ameer Abdullah: 54th overall

Gurley and Gordon are stars. We do finally see a failed pick in Yeldon. 1st failed pick in 10 picks though spent in the 1st 2 Rounds. Abdullah hasn't been anything special, but isn't a bust either.

The 3rd Round of this draft might be the best ever. Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, David Johnson and Matt Jones all went in Round 3. All except Jones have had a very nice career so far. Johnson clearly the standout of this group.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For those who think high picks aren't rewarded with top talent here's a list of top RBs picked in the 1st 2 Rounds in recent years. I will like to say that I think Round 3 is as late as I'd like to go for drafting a RB for us, so I'll include 3rd Rounders as well.

Leo Fournette: 4th overall

Christian McCaffrey: 8th overall

Dalvin Cook: 41st overall

Joe Mixon: 48th overall

All very good young careers so far with big roles for their teams. Cook very well could be the best of them all the way he looked pre getting injured.

Round 3 in this years drafted featured 2 really good guys. Alvin Kamara can be a star as well as Kareem Hunt who started out hot but has cooled down. The 3rd Round also featured D'onta Foreman and James Conner who haven't done much for their teams.

Zeke Elliott: 4th overall

Derrick Henry: 45th overall

Elliott was almost the MVP as a rookie and when he's played this year looks like a star still. And Henry is starting to really look good with more touches.

3rd Round in this draft was CJ Prosise and Kenyan Drake. Drake is showing his talent now and Prosise always seems injured but has looked ok when healthy.

Todd Gurley: 10th overall

Melvin Gordon: 15th overall

TJ Yeldon: 36th overall

Ameer Abdullah: 54th overall

Gurley and Gordon are stars. We do finally see a failed pick in Yeldon. 1st failed pick in 10 picks though spent in the 1st 2 Rounds. Abdullah hasn't been anything special, but isn't a bust either.

The 3rd Round of this draft might be the best ever. Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, David Johnson and Matt Jones all went in Round 3. All except Jones have had a very nice career so far. Johnson clearly the standout of this group.

I don't think anyone is against a RB, I think we are against a RB over a QB/Pass Rusher/LT/CB/C (between FA and draft). Obviously is the value is there then you take the RB but if we pick 10 I think I'd go with these players before I jump at Barkley. I do like Barkley, just not over a premium position. 

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Jackson

Allen

Chubb

McGlinchey

I like a lot of RBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Archived