2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

11 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

QUARTERBACK OVERVIEW

SIGNATURE STATS

Adjusted Completion Percentage (QB)

Taking the commonly-used Completion Percentage a step or two further, we’ve accounted for a set
of factors that help better de ne a quarterback’s performance on passes that were actually aimed at (and delivered to) a targeted receiver. We add back in dropped passes to give the QB credit for getting the ball to its destination and take away ‘attempts’ that were actually throwaways, spikes, or balls that were batted at the line and those that uttered from his hand when hit as he threw. The result? Top Completion Percentages typically approach or climb slightly past 70%, while Accuracy Percentage leaders will be looking at numbers closer to 80%.

Passing Under Pressure (QB)

A telling set of stats when considering a quarterback’s composure, we’ve assembled tables of data
to show how often they nd themselves under duress and how they operate in those situations. Who throws it away and who takes the sack? Whose pressured passes have been picked-o most frequently and whose have usually found an open receiver? Every pressured drop-back is counted here.

Deep Passing (QB)

Using our target location data, we’ve selected passing attempts that traveled 20 yards or more in the air. From that sample we o er a look at typical passing numbers as well as Attempt Percentage (number of deep passes relative to all attempts) and show the QB’s Accuracy Percentage on such throws. Whether you are looking to see who is going deep most often or who has been most successful at it, we’ve got the numbers here.

ijF76bg.png

This is just the first page of the ACP there are multiple others, Mayfield leads in like every category.

For that statistic, Nic Shimonek could be the best value for Jets since he is projected as a late round pick. heh? He only started for one season. Anyway, I was told that Lincoln Riley (OU head coach) added pro concepts to his offense for Mayfield.  It went the same thing to Shimonek in TT.  That should slow down everything about them being limited to air raid offense.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

For that statistic, Nic Shimonek could be the best value for Jets since he is projected as a late round pick. heh? He only started for one season. Anyway, I was told that Lincoln Riley (OU head coach) added pro concepts to his offense for Mayfield.  It went the same thing to Shimonek in TT.  That should slow down everything about them being limited to air raid offense.

I liked Shimonek as a late round flier.  Pro style offense experience from Iowa, great arm, etc.  He's rough and needs time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a low-end starter/high-end backup at the next level.

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

That's why I said this is a very vague stat. Based on this a Texas Tech QB should be drafted 1st overall almost every year. I'm a Tech alum and know that's a stat that doesn't tell the whole story. And that goes for pretty much every team in the Big 12. I'm not saying Mayfield isn't accurate, but his adjusted competition percentage shouldn't be a stat to go by to prove he's accurate. I choose to actually watch film on the guy and see his accuracy. I nearly watch every OU game living in Texas and having so many OU alum friends. I've watched a ton of Mayfield. I'm still digging deep into trying to get to like him and see things that make me think... "Wow, he's going to be a great NFL QB." But I haven't seen that yet. I'm still digging though so the search isn't complete. And Id like to add that I've done this with other QB prospects this draft and feel the same way. I think this class is getting overhyped quite frankly. And I think the main reason for that is so many QB needy teams in the top 6. That's just my 2 cents.

from Walterfootball...

Christian Getting Day 2 Grades for the 2018 NFL Draft

Updated Feb. 13, 2018
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

Louisville left tackle Christian was not expected to enter the 2018 NFL Draft, and evaluators feel that he should have returned to school to improve before going pro. That being said, there are sources who feel that Christian possesses a good physical skill set with big upside. They say he has lots of tools to work with and impressive athletic ability for a 6-foot-5, 300-pound tackle. They also note his excellent quickness, agility and athleticism. Christian isn't a first-rounder because he gives up some bad pressures. He is slow to redirect back to the inside, counter inside moves, and too often oversets to the outside.

One college scouting director said Christian has terrible technique, is really raw, and needs a lot of work. He has the skill set, however, to be a starting left tackle in the NFL. They compared Christian to Duane Brown coming out of Virginia Tech in 2008. Brown was a converted tight end who was still learning to play left tackle and had rough start to his pro career before developing into a Pro Bowler and franchise left tackle.

Sources say that Christian is getting grades for the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft, and they believe that after a year or two of development, Christian could turn into a good starting left tackle in the NFL.

Think Maccagnan will fall for that?

10 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Well I certainly wouldn't use this stat as main evidence to support a QB but I do think we can us it when discussing the top 6 QBs.

We need to keep an eye on Calvin Ridley. As much as I would rather see us go in a different direction with our 1st round pick, there are scenarios where I can see the Jets taking him at 6.

Wrote in the draft forum how he reminds me of Odell. Has the same playmaking ability, but wasn't properly used in college. Concerns are age and his build. 

I see the 2nd or 3rd the best place for us for RB. I can only really see Barkley going Round 1 for sure. Maybe another guy might go late Round 1. With 2 2nds we will have great options for us on the board in those spots. At 37 I'd be eyeing Jones II, Michel and Guice. At 49 I'd be eyeing any of the above that fall to 49 and even Chubb or Penny there as well. And I say the same for our 3rd Rounder as well. I honestly cant see all 6 of those guys go before our 3rd Rounder, but you never know. For example only 5 RBs went before 70 last draft. 2016 only 2 and 2015 only 4. But I do see this RB class better than previous classes. I personally think Barkley is more talented than LF, Elliott and Gurley. Obviously not by much bc they're all great RBs, but I see something special in Barkley. But that next tier of RBs after Barkley is still very good and I think the 2nd Round is perfect to grab 1.

Archived