Alex's final mock 2018

Alex

Since we signed Bostic and Burnett, I am ecstatic about the signings. No, they aren't the elite players I would love to have, but they are the great stop-gap players we can get at the price. That being said, I am getting more comfortable with knowing what the Steelers will do during the upcoming draft. No, I don't have the "guy" who is in the war room, but I think based on the past 5 years, the suggestions, SPARQ score, BPA meeting position of needs, other teams' need, and more. I'm not going to list other teams' picks because it will only raise more questions. I will focus on the first 3 picks; not the whole picks. None of us really pay attention to the last few picks anyway. So, While we signed Bostic and Burnett, we still have the positions of need and we still need some certain skill set for our team. Here it goes. 

1st round Expectation: 

Free Safety

We signed Morgan Burnett who is an incredible stop-gap signing, that being said he's still a stop-gap and he's a strictly strong safety. He does have experience playing at slot, so I do expect him to play there and people expect Sean Davis to move to the free safety position. I disagree; I expect him to take over as the Joker role (he will be one of the three safeties) and play as a functional safety/linebacker. We still have a dire need at the centerfield position, somebody to trust as the last link of the defense. Not just, preferably somebody who absolutely can play as a cornerback or produce interceptions, albeit somebody with mad hops. Since we targeted the players in first 2 rounds, at least the prospects scored 110 or higher past 5 years, at least that's the main trend. For the reference; lowest SPARQ score we drafted was Artie Burns at 110.1. Now, look at this SPARQ score for this year safeties:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/safety/

Who we would want: Justin Reid, FS, Stanford. 6'1" 207 lbs. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/justin-reid?id=2560198

Justin is easily the better prospect than his brother Eric was and definitely can see a day 1 playing time, he should be at least a co-starter. He does it all, in a matter of fact he's comparable to Sean Davis but Reid is a better tackler. Having Reid will make our coverage formidable, something we haven't seen since the Lebeau days. 

Who we probably will get: Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forest. 6'1" 201 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jessie-bates?id=2560130

Justin Reid is a fantastic player to get, that being said I don't think he will fall to us anymore. His stock is rising, he's versatile, he's insanely athletic and more. I think we should forget somebody like him, focus on the next best free safety prospect available- Jessie Bates. There are sources that linked Bates to be a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round prospect. Got to say I disagree. More teams overdraft positionless defensive playmakers and we have seen those picks bite them in the butt. Argumentative we reached for Bates, but we are picking at right value at where we picking for somebody with his skillset. Jessie Bates is easily one of the best free safety prospects past 5 years and he will be available. For the certain skillset, if you want it badly you should get it and I expect the Steelers to do this. A player like Bates allows our cornerbacks to play more press coverage and upfront. Oh yeah, there's a bonus- Bates return the kicks! He's actually really good at this, his agility is off the chart. 

2nd round Expectation:

Outside Linebacker

We signed Bostic, just because we signed him doesn't automatically make him expendable but I don't see us going after a pure inside linebacker. There aren't many good linebackers after our pick or in the draft after Smith, Edmunds, and Evans. We are likely to draft an "off-the-snap" linebacker, somebody who could be a combo linebacker with experience with blitzing or pass-rushing. Preferably good in coverage. We haven't picked up Dupree's 5th-year option, I'm unsure the Steelers will either and this isn't because Dupree underperformed, I think the Shazier's situation has a lot to do with this. Dupree is actually decent, his skill set may be used better for different usage. So, with what I see, we are likely to target somebody with a complementary skill set to what we have OR we will draft somebody raw and develop him. SPARQ also should matter, while we like to target somebody who is young or NFL-ready, albeit Stephen Tuitt-like pick. Here it goes.

Who we would want: Malik Jefferson, Linebacker, Texas. 6'3" 236 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/malik-jefferson?id=2560171

By drafting Malik Jefferson, we get somebody who is young, athletic, and raw, we can develop him for multiple linebacker roles. Malik probably will play as a combo OLB/ILB role, shifting inside as Buck. That being said...

Who we will get: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma. 6'1" 241 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ogbonnia-okoronkwo?id=2559945

I truly believe the Steelers is a huge fan of him. He's a technician, fundamentally tackler, and one of the best pass rushers. While I expect many to want those athletic and young linebacker prospects, I don't think that's the direction Steelers will go. We missed out on some good prospects throughout years because we didn't go after technicians. I expect us to do that this year, Ogbonnia already have the moves and would match-up very well against the right tackle in this league. Problem? His size (We have heard of this before, James Harrison- anyone?) and he's really raw in dropping back. I expect him to split time with Dupree/Williams/Bostic. Yes, I am implying we will see more rotations at the linebacker positions. We ought to have Dupree on the field during passing downs and Ogbonnia during the running downs. He's a fantastic run stopper. 

3rd round expectation:

Running Back

I know... I know, why a running back? We have to... We aren't going to keep Bell for a long-term if anything- I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers pulling Norman situation. I love Bell, but we can do more if we can assure our position through the draft, trade, and free agency. The Steelers are likely to holding on to Bell until they are certain they can at least get a good running back. I want Bell- I just don't see how. This is a pretty deep running back class, I expect good RBs to be gone by the beginning of a 4th round. We have to jump otherwise we are forced to make rash decisions next year and I don't expect the Steelers to make this mistake. This is just a cautionary tale. 

Who we want: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama. 6'1" 232 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/bo-scarbrough?id=2559845

By drafting Bo, we have formidable backfield for when we face the inevitable situation next year. I know many fans would be relieved to have Bo backing up Bell this year as well. Thing is... Bo is a strictly running back with no value as a pass-catcher nor a good 3rd down blocking RB. Which is why...

Who we will get: Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State. 6'1" 227 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/kalen-ballage?id=2559995

People probably go ugh with this pick. Not me, he's a perfect 1-2 punch with Connor. At the Arizona State, they split up the carries between Ballage and Demario Richard and the reason is lost beyond me. The implication is that the Arizona State didn't have a good offensive line and they felt more comfortable letting Richard running through the holes than Ballage and even the coaches wanted to get Ballage involved, the situation is just bizarre so, I'm not going to pay attention to the statistic. Read the quote below: 
Ballage split carries with Demario Richard last season (126 to 155 carries), but beat writer Doug Haller notes it is clear the team wants to get Ballage more involved. "Both those guys have great hands, but one of the things with Kalen, he is really a dynamic receiver," Graham said. "He can really do some things out of the backfield and really even as a slot receiver." Ballage could be the breakout performer in all of college football. Ballage also has a background as an edge rusher.

So... I'm seeing that the Steelers will get Ballage for the things he already excels at, we can develop him as a runner with Connor, he will be fine. Oh yeah, btw he posted much-improved pro day numbers that make him seemingly athletic freakish, close to Barkley-like numbers. 

That's all, yup!

Archived