Why is everyone assuming Deshaun Watson is gonna be back to 100% next season?

VanS

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Coming in as a biased observer, but an expert on knees (tore my ACL twice in my left knee, tore my patellar tendon in my right knee, had microfracture in my left knee).

Geez, ET. Whatever you are doing, you're doing it wrong. 

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

That's actually incorrect from a medical perspective. Sure, maybe from a confidence perspective it might impact him, but when have we known this guy to be anything other than confident?

That's what I'm talking about.  Typically when guys tear one ACL they rely mentally on the fact the other one is fine.  Once both have been injured, there is going to be less confidence in both knees.

And I know you're a fan of the Texans and I too being a fan of players that have been injured always tried to look at things through rose colored glasses but its still just an assumption to assume he'll be mentally 100% confident when he comes back.  Many of the best athletes have admitted that it was hard to get over injuries mentally.  I would imagine its worse when its 2 ACL tears in 3 years.  And when one of them happens in such a fluke way.

Confidence will be an issue.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Geez, ET. Whatever you are doing, you're doing it wrong. 

1 minute ago, DaveDX said:

Yeah man.  Reevaluate your life choices.

My injured knees are legendary in TAST, breh. 

First was football when I was 17. 2nd was baseball when I was 22. The patellar tendon rupture (the BIG one, 18 month rehab to normal) was a non contact flag football  injury due to undiagnosed/ignored tendonitis when I was 27; The microfracture was to correct some "clicking" I was feeling at 31. (Was thinking of a return to baseball, but wife got pregnant and I graduated to coaching).

This is what happens when you're out of shape and trying to play sports.

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

My injured knees are legendary in TAST, breh. 

First was football when I was 17. 2nd was baseball when I was 22. The patellar tendon rupture (the BIG one, 18 month rehab to normal) was a non contact flag football  injury due to undiagnosed/ignored tendonitis when I was 27; The microfracture was to correct some "clicking" I was feeling at 31. (Was thinking of a return to baseball, but wife got pregnant and I graduated to coaching).

This is what happens when you're out of shape and trying to play sports.

I've been very fortunate not to do anything to my knees playing sports. Still in good condition there. But I did fracture an elbow playing basketball, cracked 3 ribs  and broke my collarbone playing hockey (separate incidents), and once jammed a finger bowling. 

32 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Carson Palmer off the top of my head. Keenan Allen at WR. Frank Gore tore two at The U. 

I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

EDIT: Casey Hampton, Thomas Davis, Owen Daniels also come to mind.

Appreciate it ET.

14 minutes ago, VanS said:

That's what I'm talking about.  Typically when guys tear one ACL they rely mentally on the fact the other one is fine.  Once both have been injured, there is going to be less confidence in both knees.

This is opinion at best. I'd argue two points: He'd be more confident of his recovery because he's already recovered from this injury as point one. Point two is that he became Deshaun Watson - ESPN Male Athlete of the Year, CFB National Champion, 1st round pick, rookie phenom - after he tore and rehabbed his knee.

Both are pure speculation. Neither can be proven.

15 minutes ago, VanS said:

And I know you're a fan of the Texans and I too being a fan of players that have been injured always tried to look at things through rose colored glasses but its still just an assumption to assume he'll be mentally 100% confident when he comes back.

My fandom has nothing to do with it. I've more or less been pretty vocal that JJ Watt - arguably one of the top three football players in the last five years - is done following his rash of injuries. Irrespecive of his mental state, he's done. I have no problems stating this, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he proved me wrong.

I think I've done an excellent job of backing up my position with actual science and sports medicine theory - but please, do go on about me looking at this through rose colored glasses. That's not condescending in the least.

20 minutes ago, VanS said:

Confidence will be an issue

I'm so glad you understand the mental makeup of a person you'll have no interaction with. That's quite the talent, there's money to be made on such a skill.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been very fortunate not to do anything to my knees playing sports. Still in good condition there. But I did fracture an elbow playing basketball, cracked 3 ribs  and broke my collarbone playing hockey (separate incidents), and once jammed a finger bowling. 

Jammed fingers are the WORST. Nearly as bad as stubbing a toe.

I think statistically ACL data in the NFL shows the following:

1) the year after tearing an ACL, the opposite ACL is at higher risk of being torn

2) the second year after tearing an ACL, the same original knee is at a higher risk of being torn

3) the third year, there is no statistically significant increase in risk for either knee

I tried to half-heartedly source this but couldn't, I'm 99% sure it came from Pro Football Doc on twitter at some point during last season.

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That isn't true at all.  RG3's issues stemmed from the fact that he didn't know how to play QB.  He couldn't read defenses or move through progressions.  He was a pass to the first option or take off running QB.  

Less to do with his injury, and more to do with his coaching. 

His ability as a QB wasn’t a part of the point. He was obviously a bad drop back passer.

9 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This is opinion at best. I'd argue two points: He'd be more confident of his recovery because he's already recovered from this injury as point one. Point two is that he became Deshaun Watson - ESPN Male Athlete of the Year, CFB National Champion, 1st round pick, rookie phenom - after he tore and rehabbed his knee.

Both are pure speculation. Neither can be proven.

My fandom has nothing to do with it. I've more or less been pretty vocal that JJ Watt - arguably one of the top three football players in the last five years - is done following his rash of injuries. Irrespecive of his mental state, he's done. I have no problems stating this, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if he proved me wrong.

I think I've done an excellent job of backing up my position with actual science and sports medicine theory - but please, do go on about me looking at this through rose colored glasses. That's not condescending in the least.

I'm so glad you understand the mental makeup of a person you'll have no interaction with. That's quite the talent, there's money to be made on such a skill.

And you're not speculating?  We are both speculating in this case since neither of us know the future.  No matter how much you wanna spin this serious injury as a non-issue, he still tore his ACL in practice doing something totally routine.  In some ways, the very benign nature of how he got injured might be more mentally damaging that getting injured in a game because of a violent hit. 

Now I may not have your personal experience with knee injuries but I have heard many athletes give their opinions on trying to recover from lower body injuries.  Regardless of how mentally tough an athlete is, I've heard them all say that the fear of re-injury stayed in their heads for a while even after they were physically 100%.  Charles Barkley just a few weeks ago said on Inside The NBA that after he injured his leg, he was scared to run at full speed because of the fear of re-injury.  Confidence will be an issue.  Lets just hope its only for a short while.

8 hours ago, cddolphin said:

1) the year after tearing an ACL, the opposite ACL is at higher risk of being torn

2) the second year after tearing an ACL, the same original knee is at a higher risk of being torn

3) the third year, there is no statistically significant increase in risk for either knee

I tried to half-heartedly source this but couldn't, I'm 99% sure it came from Pro Football Doc on twitter at some point during last season.

As I also understand it, regardless of time, someone who has torn an ACL is 6 times more likely to tear an acl again than someone who has never done it. 

9 hours ago, cddolphin said:

#1 is true. Not sure about the other statements. The problem is that even if the knee is stable with a healed graft...it’s hard to change your anatomy and biomechanics to prevent a retear. But there is no question that Sports Med is improving in this regard.

Archived