In 2017 Redskins lead league in injuries, finish last in Adjusted Games Lost

HTTRDynasty

When we looked at AGL for head coaches last year, Jay Gruden was only surpassed by Mike McCoy's San Diego teams. After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002. This 2017 total does not even include anything for safety Su'a Cravens, who shocked everyone when he decided to retire a week before the regular season. He was placed on an exempt list and missed the entire season after getting treated for post-concussion syndrome. Middle linebacker Mason Foster (11.3 AGL) and first-round rookie Jonathan Allen (11.0 AGL) were Washington's two biggest losses by AGL. The skill positions also lost tight end Jordan Reed (8.3 AGL), running backs Rob Kelley (8.6 AGL) and Chris Thompson (6.1 AGL), and wide receiver Terrelle Pryor (7.1 AGL) for extended periods of time. As we'll see next week in the unit breakdowns, the depth of injuries along the offensive line really pushed Washington over the top here. Washington had a league-high 10 players incur at least 6.0 AGL.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost

Can't say I'm surprised.

28 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, but wasn't sure where else to put it... 

When we looked at AGL for head coaches last year, Jay Gruden was only surpassed by Mike McCoy's San Diego teams. After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002. This 2017 total does not even include anything for safety Su'a Cravens, who shocked everyone when he decided to retire a week before the regular season. He was placed on an exempt list and missed the entire season after getting treated for post-concussion syndrome. Middle linebacker Mason Foster (11.3 AGL) and first-round rookie Jonathan Allen (11.0 AGL) were Washington's two biggest losses by AGL. The skill positions also lost tight end Jordan Reed (8.3 AGL), running backs Rob Kelley (8.6 AGL) and Chris Thompson (6.1 AGL), and wide receiver Terrelle Pryor (7.1 AGL) for extended periods of time. As we'll see next week in the unit breakdowns, the depth of injuries along the offensive line really pushed Washington over the top here. Washington had a league-high 10 players incur at least 6.0 AGL.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost

Can't say I'm surprised.

This is what depresses me about last year.  It was probably the best chance we had to make a run with the current core we had.  It was also the last chance we had to convince Cousins it was worth it for him to stick around.  Instead the team gets super hurt, "Kurt" leaves and a bunch of our core depth players get pilfered in free agency.  

@FBoutsiders

2017 Adjusted Games Lost numbers are here. #Redskins lead the league in injuries, with #Bears right behind. #Rams lead the league with fewest injuries. footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/…

@JamesDDorsett

"After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002."

25 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

@turtle28, what was the purpose of this post? You simply posted the same thing as the OP. Did you mean to provide analysis?

This one is on me. I merged in the earlier posts from the free agency thread here, so it looks like turtle (who created the original thread) just duplicated the stuff.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, MKnight82 said:

This is what depresses me about last year.  It was probably the best chance we had to make a run with the current core we had.  It was also the last chance we had to convince Cousins it was worth it for him to stick around.  Instead the team gets super hurt, "Kurt" leaves and a bunch of our core depth players get pilfered in free agency.  

Definitely true. It’s really a shame how many injuries we had to key depth player and key starters throughout the year. If not for them, I definitely think we make the playoffs but it’s just really hard to win when you have 20 different OL combinations on top of the other injuries.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:59 PM, Dashing202 said:

The injuries is one thing , adjustments is the worrysome .

No team is going to be able to absorb the number of injuries the Redskins suffered last year. There's no way to get the talent to be able to have starting quality players everywhere on the two deep.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:55 PM, turtle28 said:

Definitely true. It’s really a shame how many injuries we had to key depth player and key starters throughout the year. If not for them, I definitely think we make the playoffs but it’s just really hard to win when you have 20 different OL combinations on top of the other injuries.

Image result for whats the root cause gif

Gruden's practices

Image result for guys at spa

18 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Gruden's practices

Image result for guys at spa

Injuries happen because don’t practice hard enough? Can anyone say conspiracy theory? Broken Bones, torn ligaments, torn tendons, concussions and sprained ligaments. Those were the injuries most of our players sustained last year. No amount of practice or even training is going to protect you from those injuries.

Norman - Broken rib 

Thompson - broken leg

TWill - torn patellar tendon

Scherff - sprained knee

Jonathan Allen - Lisfranc injury, required surgery 

Breeland - knee sprain

Ioannidis - broken hand

Roullier - hand injury

Nsekhe - core muscle injury which required surgery and he missed 1/2 the season

Rob Kelley - sprained MCL, high ankle sprain

Terrelle Pryor and Moses - ankle injuries which eventually needed surgery 

McClain - toe injury

Reed - toe injury in the offseason. The hamstring injury could be chalked up to not stretching/training properly though but hamstring injuries happen all the time.

Phil Taylor - torn quad

Mason Foster - dislocated shoulder

Montae Nicholson - concussion ended his season 

I read today they have had people ( team Personnel ) in England studying recovery systems for soccer players. They will built a very $$$$ new building to house the needed upgrades and equipment such as epsom salt baths. Should be ready before the start of the season. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/03/27/redskins-spending-big-on-new-recovery-center-to-help-fight-off-injury-bug/

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I read today they have had people ( team Personnel ) in England studying recovery systems for soccer players. They will built a very $$$$ new building to house the needed upgrades and equipment such as epsom salt baths. Should be ready before the start of the season. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/03/27/redskins-spending-big-on-new-recovery-center-to-help-fight-off-injury-bug/

If the idea is to help athletes recover quicker from an athletic competition, then this makes sense.

If the idea is to help football players (who play at most 20 minutes, but in a grueling gladiatorial game with regular car crash level impacts) recover from injuries by using ideas to help futbol players (who mostly play 90+ minutes of sport, but with significantly fewer collisions), I'm not so sure it's going to do much.

Still, I give credit to the training staff for trying out new ideas in order to help the players and, yes, to the front office/ownership for being willing to take a chance on something that is apparently quite expensive and has a somewhat unclear return on investment.

I’m glad they are trying new ideas to help players with recovery like Swearinger asked for several times during the season. Still though, these players need to do more on their own time to recover and stay ready for games. There are things they can do weekly during the season to help them recover that some of the best players in the NFL are doing that I’m not sure our players are doing.

Archived