Ravens Sign Austin Howard

coordinator0

lolwut

That's a lot for this point in the offseason. The Ravens must REALLY like him. Also:

All four of them! Like I said before in the other thread, any significant move the Ravens try to do puts them in a spot to make bad decisions for the future. That many simple restructures just to sign Austin Howard... yeesh.

Look at it this way, we have only $2.2M dead money set for next season vs 10 times that much on the books this season, so pushing some cap hit forward isn't the end of the world. 

James Hurst was in line to start. The dude who caused Flacco's knee to be shredded. There is no question that we were desperate. 

It's not the end of the world, but it's still not good. That's the point. Doesn't matter how much dead money the team was projected to have. Needing to do that many simple restructures just to have cap space this season to bring in Austin Howard is pretty disappointing.

And I'm not saying getting someone to start instead of Hurst wasn't a priority, but I have my doubts Howard is going to be significantly better. It's not like he's good. I'm hoping for the team not to pick up his option next season but the simple restructure damage will be done regardless. 

3 years?  Sure we were desperate to have someone better than Hurst start at RT, but Howard's missed a fair few games the last couple of seasons and was below average last year when he did play.

I'm not a fan of making that many restructures just to sign a below average player

Archived