Cowboys sign WR Hurns to 2 year

textaz03

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Drops for Hurms - 2 in 56 tgts last year and 6 in 76 in '16...seems about on par with vast majority. 

Dez was credited with 6 drops this year, and everyone is blasting him. Only 7 WRs in the NFL were credited with 6 or more drops in 2017. 

20 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Dez was credited with 6 drops this year, and everyone is blasting him. Only 7 WRs in the NFL were credited with 6 or more drops in 2017. 

Yeah, this is true.

I’m not trying to dog Hurnsy. I love the kid, and if you check my posts in the Jaguars forum, I’m legitimately upset we let him go.

But he does have problems with hand consistency at times. They seem to come in bunches, as if it’s a focus thing. He will occasionally have times where he drops a bunch and then go long periods of time where he catches everything he should.

I didn’t point out his strengths, because they were hit on decently in the post I responded to. He’s a great route runner, and has fluid hips that allows for quick change of direction. He’s unafraid to go over the middle. His drops aren’t (as best I can tell) a product of being worried about a big hit or anything. He has fantastic body control and positions himself well for a catch. He boxes out defenders, and high points balls naturally. He also has a knack for getting open deep even though he doesn’t have elite speed. He played all of 2015 with a sports hernia that required surgery, so he’s not a guy that milks his injuries.

He’s a guy that can get 1,100 yards and 9 TDs regularly if he can avoid the injuries that have plagued him.

He’s somewhat of a rhythm receiver, where he will sometimes disappear for long periods of time and then completely take over a drive or two where he’s seemingly unguardable. The disappearances aren’t tied to lack of effort though, and the rhythm thing doesn’t always happen. It honestly may be tied to the tissue injuries he’s dealt with; where when he’s tight, he can’t do everything at 100%, but when it loosens for a bit, he makes the most of it.

He’s a willing blocker and puts in effort doing the little things that a lot of guys only go through the motions with.

If he can stay healthy, you guys got yourselves a good one. 

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Hurns will wear 17 .... made famous by Dandy Don, He Who Shall Not Be Named, and Linehan's unicorn, Kellen Moore

Don't forget Sam Hurd wore it once as well

I watched a lot of Hurns last night to be as accurate as possible in my assessment.

The guy contends for every pass thrown his way. He is a lot like Dez in that regard. Dont matter where the ball is - high, low, too wide, too shallow, and no matter how tight of a window there is, Hurns is going to fight and be in contention for the catch every time. I love that trait.

His routes arent bad, but far from good. Also like Dez, I suppose. He can break off with good separation now and then, but they are more often being rounded off and tend to get sloppy. There is not much in the way of hip, head, foot, and other fakes/misleads to buy space. 

Good hands kind of guy. Reels in the ball and puts it away with good technique. Rarely over exposes himself or the ball. Does not look to body catch or belly grab. 

More explosive than fast..he is not going to out run a safety to the corner when the safety makes the correct read, but he can take off in a blink to a full sprint when he gets the ball. With his ability to catch and look in an overhead ball and expode free from the line, he can stretch the field with vertical routes without a probem.

Good blocker overall. Williams is still much better. But it would not be much of a downgrade to sit Williams and put in Hurns. He is not afraid to throw his body into a block, and even attempts to get full elbow extension when engaged. 

Overall Hurns is a good receiver. He is a true quality second receiver, and the fact he has experience playing inside and wide, really enables this team to move some guys around for better matchups. Hurns' presence should enable Beasley to have more unimpeded routes like in 2016, and it should keep the safeties from clouding over to Dez's side, and likely even keep a defense more reluctant to blitz, knowing there is another real weapon to be used in the passing game they have to fear. Great signing. 

Archived