CLE signs CB EJ Gaines

Broncofan

Am I crazy for thinking that Cleveland may be okay next year? I mean, maybe not playoff contender (though who knows in the AFC), but on paper, I don't feel like this is a bad team at all, particularly if health holds up. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Am I crazy for thinking that Cleveland may be okay next year? I mean, maybe not playoff contender (though who knows in the AFC), but on paper, I don't feel like this is a bad team at all, particularly if health holds up. 

That's what people have been saying the last few years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

That's what people have been saying the last few years. I'll believe it when I see it.

They haven't had a quarterback though. Or really, a good wide receiver. Tyrod is not good, but he's far better than what they have had. Landry is a nice piece, although massively overpaid. MG healthy for a full year? Collins healthy? Randall and Gaines in the secondary? This team is far, far more talented right now than they have been at any point in the prior few years, I don't think it's particularly close in that regard. I'm worried about the line at the tackle spot, but this isn't the same team (again, on paper) that people have been saying that about for the last few years. The last few years they've still looked awful on paper for the most part. 

Very good corner when healthy, but staying healthy has been a big issue for him even when he is listed as active he always seemed to get dinged up and miss plays.

Interested in seeing the numbers, was hoping we might sign him to a short term deal at this point in free agency. Doesn't hurt to have corner depth.

I think CLE had been building a good D last year.   That shouldn't change.    They do need a shutdown CB that they don't have yet.   Carrie's a good slot CB, Gaines fills that 2nd CB role nicely.    They'd probably dearly love to get that BUF trade for 1.4 with 1.12 and 1.22, that could address LT and shutdown-ceiling CB in 1 fell swoop.

The key will be how much progress they make on O.  

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What does their secondary look like at the moment? I read somewhere that they may covet Ward. Does this signing make that a slim chance now?

Their secondary was a complete dumpster fire last year but this signing definitely helps. They as of now, would have:

CB: Gaines (GOOD)

CB: Jamar Taylor (Awful IMO)

FS: Randall (acquired from Green Bay)

SS: Peppers (Who knows? Poorly utilized as a rookie)

They still need a CB on the outside. I'd love Ward as a draft pick even now and solidify (in theory) that outside CB spot for a while.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think CLE had been building a good D last year.   That shouldn't change.    They do need a shutdown CB that they don't have yet.   Carrie's a good slot CB, Gaines fills that 2nd CB role nicely.    They'd probably dearly love to get that BUF trade for 1.4 with 1.12 and 1.22, that could address LT and shutdown-ceiling CB in 1 fell swoop.

The key will be how much progress they make on O.  

I proposed that something like this could happen in the draft the other day - 

Cle - Darnold, Giants - Chubb, Jets - Rosen. I thought I heard that the bills really liked Allen, and Denver is lurking there at 5. So they trade 12 / 21 and whatever else to jump to #4 to grab Allen. Denver takes Mayfield / Nelson. Indy / TB take Barkley / Nelson / Minkah . Chicago takes Edmunds. Cleveland can then jump back up from 12 to 9 with the 49ers to grab Ward or Minkah for corner. Then at 21 they grab a tackle. 

Archived