CLE signs CB EJ Gaines

Broncofan

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

The Patriots and the Jaguars are both top 5 teams. Plus you've got the Steelers, but I can see a case for keeping them out of the top 5 teams in the NFL. But it's a no-brainer that NE and JAX are in.

Not to me. We will see what happens when the season plays out. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Am I crazy for thinking that Cleveland may be okay next year? I mean, maybe not playoff contender (though who knows in the AFC), but on paper, I don't feel like this is a bad team at all, particularly if health holds up. 

Still curious to see what happens in the draft

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Who are your top 5 teams?

Right now I have NO / Min / Phi / LAR as 4. You can debate NE or Jax. Obviously NE is NE, but that gaping hole at LT is not ideal, I don't know about the defense. Jax is an interesting one. I don't love Bortles, but I think he showed last year that good Bortles can hang...I just wish Marrone would (or could) trust him more. My biggest concern with Jax, honestly, is variance with regards to health. I feel like they were abnormally healthy with regards to the defense last year. That could be wrong, but I don't think it is. Now, maybe it's unfair to consider health when I'm not really doing that for other teams, but like I said, its because if I'm right, they were abnormally healthy, not just healthy (and honestly, I don't have the full on numbers for games missed due to injuries for all the teams, this is just from what I'm remembering, so very easily could be another of those teams that was abnormally healthy, I'm not sure). I think you could debate either AFC team with the Rams or Saints, I just happen to like the latter two more, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for choosing the two AFC teams over them either. 

Obviously, there's still more to come - some FA left, and of course the draft. But right now lets say I see 4 out of the 6 as being in the NFC...the line is so thin between those 4 I mentioned that it's a little harder to say 5, but 4 out of 6 works. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Meh. They could float around 8-8.

59 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think this would be a miracle. We are going to be much improved, but our coaching is terrible still and Tyrod Taylor is nothing to be excited about. I expect us to win somewhere around 5 games next season because of poor QB play and too many young guys all on the field at the same time. The following year, when we introduce (#1 pick at QB) into the lineup, things will change dramatically I'm hoping.

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK I would say that Tyrod throwing the ball to Josh Gordon/Jarvis Landry/David Njoku is going to yield better results than Zay Jones/Charles Clay/Andre Holmes.

At least better TD numbers.

On talent they'll be better for sure.  But 8-8?  Bridge too far, for one simple reason:  Hue Jackson.

Hue's the same guy who trotted Kizer out there week after week, and pulled the chute on him, only to put him back in.    Remember, Kizer's the guy who had 10 TO's inside the opponent's 5-yard line.   Yet Hue is the guy who kept him out there - even when CLE had clinched the 1.1 pick after 14 games IIRC.

Hue's the same guy who called plays like a QB sneak with 20 secs left in the 1H...and no TO's left in his pocket.    He's the guy that had Duke Johnson on the bench on critical 4th down plays in a couple of close games.  

Remember, Hue's the same guy who stumped for AJ McCarron for 2.1 - when on the open market, he couldn't even get a starter's job.   

CLE was bad last year - but honestly, Hue cost them at least 1-2 W's with his decision-making.   Yes, that team was bad - but Hue got them to meet their FULL potential of suckitude.   Hue is as much part of the problem as anyone else except Haslem, I'd say he's the biggest part besides Haslem.  Yet he's the guy who got to stick around.  Now, he's an OK-to-good OC, probably better if you don't let him call plays, but just design an O (because his game management sucks).  But he's overmatched as a HC, and yet somehow he's the one who survived the purge.   

So, no I don't see 8-8 - on paper, this team's best result would be 8-8 - but Hue will likely get them to 5-11 / 6-10 because his decisions will cost them 2-3 games.  The sad part is that ppl will see this as such an improvement, he'll still probably stick around after this year.  SMH.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right now I have NO / Min / Phi / LAR as 4. You can debate NE or Jax. Obviously NE is NE, but that gaping hole at LT is not ideal, I don't know about the defense. Jax is an interesting one. I don't love Bortles, but I think he showed last year that good Bortles can hang...I just wish Marrone would (or could) trust him more. My biggest concern with Jax, honestly, is variance with regards to health. I feel like they were abnormally healthy with regards to the defense last year. That could be wrong, but I don't think it is. Now, maybe it's unfair to consider health when I'm not really doing that for other teams, but like I said, its because if I'm right, they were abnormally healthy, not just healthy (and honestly, I don't have the full on numbers for games missed due to injuries for all the teams, this is just from what I'm remembering, so very easily could be another of those teams that was abnormally healthy, I'm not sure). I think you could debate either AFC team with the Rams or Saints, I just happen to like the latter two more, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for choosing the two AFC teams over them either. 

Obviously, there's still more to come - some FA left, and of course the draft. But right now lets say I see 4 out of the 6 as being in the NFC...the line is so thin between those 4 I mentioned that it's a little harder to say 5, but 4 out of 6 works. 

My top 5 are MIN, PHI, LAR, LAC & NO.   JAX is right behind.   The crazy part IMO is that the NFC's next 4 teams all could probably win any of the other AFC divisions.   But 2 of them will sit out of the playoffs altogether.  NE belongs somewhere in the top 10, BB & Brady have to keep them there.   But there's only 3 AFC teams in my top 10, the rest are all NFC.  

Before someone cites W-L records - keep in mind that the NFC teams will battle each other - so I don't expect only 3 AFC teams to have the 10 best W-L records.   But I expect those other AFC teams will be markedly less talented/coached than the other 7 NFC teams. 

As an AFC fan, I'd be the first to say the NFC's top 2 tiers are way more talented than the AFC's. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

My top 5 are MIN, PHI, LAR, LAC & NO.   JAX is right behind.   The crazy part IMO is that the NFC's next 4 teams all could probably win any of the other AFC divisions.   But 2 of them will sit out of the playoffs altogether.  NE belongs somewhere in the top 10, BB & Brady have to keep them there.   But there's only 3 AFC teams in my top 10, the rest are all NFC.  

Before someone cites W-L records - keep in mind that the NFC teams will battle each other - so I don't expect only 3 AFC teams to have the 10 best W-L records.   But I expect those other AFC teams will be markedly less talented/coached than the other 7 NFC teams. 

I really like the chargers this year. Health is always a major issue with them. I wish I had your guts to put them up there lol. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I really like the chargers this year. Health is always a major issue with them. I wish I had your guts to put them up there lol. 

Chargers get overrated every year on here, and never live up to expectations.  Im not saying they are bad, but putting them top 5 in the NFL is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Rivers isn't retiring no matter what.  He's got like 28 mouths to feed.

lol yea but even myself being partial Broncos fan---I have been waiting for this Chargers team for the past 2 years to hit their peak. They scare the crap out of me honestly because it they are firing on all cylinders with Perryman, Bosa, Ingram, Verrett, King, Hayward + Gordon, Williams, Keenan, Henry ect on offense..its easily one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. Top 3.

They are honestly a average offensive line + kicker away from being a easy pick for a Super Bowl contender.

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol yea but even myself being partial Broncos fan---I have been waiting for this Chargers team for the past 2 years to hit their peak. They scare the crap out of me honestly because it they are firing on all cylinders with Perryman, Bosa, Ingram, Verrett, King, Hayward + Gordon, Williams, Keenan, Henry ect on offense..its easily one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. Top 3.

They are honestly a average offensive line + kicker away from being a easy pick for a Super Bowl contender.

They got the K with Sturgis and their G upgrades with Lamp and Feeney already have them there IMO.  Improve off ball LB and interior DL and they have a complete team.  I think they are already there TBH. 

Archived